02 show was Chicago 1980

the 1980 tour was suppose to be stripped down of all excesses, no more long solo's,

but hard rocking numbers with no let up.

IMO, the 02 show would be similar to the opening date of the USA 1980 tour in Chicago.

the difference is that jimmy is not on drugs.... so in theory the 02 was a better concert than they would have performed....

however, Jimmy was a lot more 'practiced' at that time

a personal note, I'm sick of people putting down the 1977 tour...rock n roll is a rude dirty raw damned sick type of child

if you like your music 'clean' try switching to jazz, and stop ranking on zeppelin!!!!!

At the local tavern last night, we were discussing Zeppelin, Cream, The Jeff Beck Group and the Small Faces and this one guy sitting at the end of the bar chimed in saying he had tickets to both the 77 and 80 tours but couldn't go to both because of Karac and Bonzo's departures. I told him I had a professor in college who had tickets for the debunk 1980 tour as well. Actually, I know quite a few people who had tickets for the 1980 tour that never happened. I imagine those stubs are quite the collector's item.

At the local tavern last night, we were discussing Zeppelin, Cream, The Jeff Beck Group and the Small Faces and this one guy sitting at the end of the bar chimed in saying he had tickets to both the 77 and 80 tours but couldn't go to both because of Karac and Bonzo's departures. I told him I had a professor in college who had tickets for the debunk 1980 tour as well. Actually, I know quite a few people who had tickets for the 1980 tour that never happened. I imagine those stubs are quite the collector's item.

I haven't seen them for awhile but there were a lot of 80 Chicago tickets around on ebay,etc....weren't expensive compared to their other tours

I was lucky enough to attend one of the last dates of the European Tour - traveling with schoolmates by train to Zurich, Switzerland, in my 15th year... They only had 3 more gigs before it all crashed.

I remember they started the show 45 minutes late and Robert apologized to the audience before they kicked some serious ass throughout the set.

I vividly recall the whole arena seemingly experiencing a rythmic earthquake during "Kashmir", my favourite at the time and the first time I'd been in such a huge crowd swaying in transe, and I also remember the wonderful rendition of "Nobody's Fault..".

The internet is a wonderful place because, not only did I find all kinds of stuff on the tour, reviews of the different gigs (and the one I had seen was rated one of the best of the tour !), but even better : somebody sent me the soundboard recording of that particular concert ! Bless him !

What I've heard from the O2 concert - despite the mediocre sound quality of the files here and there - is that they are playing today pretty much like 27 years never happened and, if anything, the performance sounded tighter (maybe because they were all on their best behaviour and concerned about possibly disappointing the fans... )

Well, that was my little Zep story...

OH, and one more thought :

thousands of raised lighters have been replaced today by thousands of raised cellphones... which obviously undermines the quality of the applause...

I was lucky enough to attend one of the last dates of the European Tour - traveling with schoolmates by train to Zurich, Switzerland, in my 15th year... They only had 3 more gigs before it all crashed.

I remember they started the show 45 minutes late and Robert apologized to the audience before they kicked some serious ass throughout the set.

I vividly recall the whole arena seemingly experiencing a rythmic earthquake during "Kashmir", my favourite at the time and the first time I'd been in such a huge crowd swaying in transe, and I also remember the wonderful rendition of "Nobody's Fault..".

The internet is a wonderful place because, not only did I find all kinds of stuff on the tour, reviews of the different gigs (and the one I had seen was rated one of the best of the tour !), but even better : somebody sent me the soundboard recording of that particular concert ! Bless him !

What I've heard from the O2 concert - despite the mediocre sound quality of the files here and there - is that they are playing today pretty much like 27 years never happened and, if anything, the performance sounded tighter (maybe because they were all on their best behaviour and concerned about possibly disappointing the fans... )

Well, that was my little Zep story...

OH, and one more thought :

thousands of raised lighters have been replaced today by thousands of raised cellphones... which obviously undermines the quality of the applause...

I have the sound board bootleg of switzerland, you're right, the best!!!!!

and don't forget.....they didn't DO Dazed & Confused with the green laser violin bow solo

OR..... In My Time Of Dying

I have the sound board bootleg of switzerland, you're right, the best!!!!!

and don't forget.....they didn't DO Dazed & Confused with the green laser violin bow solo

OR..... In My Time Of Dying

Yeah... right ! :D

And still... it felt like a long show to me at the time.

I wasn't particularly keen on the ITTOD numbers, except for "In the evening". Remember I was only 15 (although Im still not a big fan of "Fools in the rain" !!)

But I remember being real proud to instantly recognize the guitar intro to "Train kept a'rollin'" that opened the show, much to the amazement of the older members of the audience around me ! I was a real die-hard fan, at the time... :)

I don't know if the O2 show was supposed to be like the Chicago 1980 show...

but I do know that the general consensus was that Led Zeppelin's shows were going to get more technically involved with special effects and stuff.

I think what you saw at the O2 (lasers...huge screen with awesome designs) was a testament to that past prediction.

So maybe it wasn't the actual 1980 show planned, but maybe it was something close to what they'd have been doing in 1981.

Archived