Did Jimmy meet Hendrix?

I just read in a Melody Maker interview from 7.9.1974 that he did here's what Jimmy says

And to think I never played with him , only met him once and saw him play on film.

(Taken from the Led Zeppelin Uncut special page 61)

However I've read elsewhere from sources later on in Page's life yet I cannot remember where from that Jimmy has said then said on two different occasions that he was

1.to busy with Zep and kept putting it off, till it was too late

2.they were in the same club yet they never got to meet

I would say that the 1974 quote is true and that they did, I don't think Jimmy would forget something like that it's not trivial is it?

And if that is true where and when could they have finally met?

"Did I ever meet him? I did actually go into a club in New York called Salvation, and he was there, but he was totally out of it. He didn't really know who anybody was -- he was barely conscious. Somebody was just kind of holding him up. It is just kind of a shame that I never really had a chance to talk with him or hear him... I heard his records, naturally, but it would've been a thrill to see how he worked things out on stage. That's quite another ballgame, as you know."

-- Jimmy Page

October of '69

Jimmy was in New York on April 5th, 1968 (for a studio session with The Yardbirds).

Jimi played Newark, NJ on the 5th and White Plains, NY on the 6th. Both shows were within 30-40 minutes of the Salvation Club.

Also, Zep played New York on 10/17/69 and Hendrix was stationed in the city for most of that month.

Jimmy was in New York on April 5th, 1968 (for a studio session with The Yardbirds).

Jimi played Newark, NJ on the 5th and White Plains, NY on the 6th. Both shows were within 30-40 minutes of the Salvation Club.

Also, Zep played New York on 10/17/69 and Hendrix was stationed in the city for most of that month.

Ah so we are getting closer, regardless though why is Jimmy one minute saying he did meet him and then later on in life he's saying he never met Hendrix

April 05th, 1968

The Jimi Hendrix Experience are scheduled to play at the Symphony Hall in Newark, New Jersey. After playing one improvisation that he dedicated to the slain activist, Hendrix left the stage. He later jammed with Buddy Guy at Generation in New York City.

http://www.jimihendrix.com/us/encyclopedia#month=1968-4&cat=436

Could Page of been at this jam?

Just found this:

The Fillmore East generally planned to have an early (8:00pm) and late (11:30pm) show for both Friday and Saturday night for each engagement. However, Martin Luther King had been assassinated on April 4th, and many New York nightspots were closed. The Fillmore East remained open, but instead staged one long show each night.

The Who played the Fillmore that night, he knew the members it's likely he went to see them. The Yardbirds did have a gig in New York on this day too.

Going on the tangent Swandown provided about the club in New York i've found another situation exactly the same.

The Yardbirds played Action House Island Park, NY, US on 12.4.68 the same day Hendrix played the Generation Club with BB King if Page knew about this jam he'd surely of wanted to go to it?

The Generation Club and Action House was only 20 miles apart and Jimmy couldn't leave New York as The Yardbirds had yet another date at the Action House on the 13th and 14th.

From 1966-1968 they crossed paths a lot, went to the same clubs around London and NYC, but never actually got together. I think Page was just too focused on what he was doing at the time and wasn't in party mode until Led Zep exploded and were the party. Hendrix constantly jammed around NYC at night, but it sounded like a "ships in the night" situation.

You're talking about two shy guys without guitars in hand.

I think in my "what if", they would've gotten together, Hendrix would've shown Page around Electric Lady, they would've jammed, and Led Zep would've had free studio time (which would've made Page even more enthusiastic *L*) with no record company on their backs, in exchange for helping Jimi produce First Rays of the New Rising Sun. Jimi would've had an amazing album.

But did he actually say two different things? Or did he merely expound on his initial comment about Hendrix during a later interview?

Example (I'm just making these up):

Interviewer: Did you ever see Hendrix play?

Page: No I never got around to it.

Different Interviewer many years later: Did you ever meet Hendrix?

Page: I did run into him at a nightclub in New York City once but he was really out of it so I didn't approach him.

But did he actually say two different things? Or did he merely expound on his initial comment about Hendrix during a later interview?

Example (I'm just making these up):

Interviewer: Did you ever see Hendrix play?

Page: No I never got around to it.

Different Interviewer many years later: Did you ever meet Hendrix?

Page: I did run into him at a nightclub in New York City once but he was really out of it so I didn't approach him.

I understand what you mean, however I can't see why he wouldn't say he saw him in the nightclub in both interviews as it was relevant to both question

Archived