2013 Baseball Thread...

paul carruthers

Well, with Spring Training starting up in a couple of days & a Baseball Tonight special on ESPN tomorrow, I thought now would be the time to start the 2013 Baseball thread. As a Mets fan, I don't have much to look forward to in the new year, but from the perspective of a fan of the game, there are a lot of intriguing storylines this year:

- With the high powered lineup the Angels have assembled this year, you got to think Mike Scioscia's ass is going to be put to the fire. If the Angels don't make the playoffs this year then it's bye-bye Scioscia.

- Will the Orioles be as good this year as they were in 2012? How will the Yankees come back after that dismal performance in the ALCS? Will Toronto live up to all the preseason hype they've been getting. Personally speaking, I think the Jays will struggle to get to .500 by the All Star break. I think the East is going to be a dogfight between the Yanks, O's and Rays.

- How will the Tigers bounce back after getting swept in the Series? Will that defense be improved? They've got the hitting and the pitching to carry them deep into October for another year.

That's just some of my thoughts going into the new season. Can't wait 'til March 31st when it all kicks off, and oh yeah, I almost forgot, there is going to be interleauge play everyday now. How is that going to work?

vil2_baseball.gif

Well, with Spring Training starting up in a couple of days & a Baseball Tonight special on ESPN tomorrow, I thought now would be the time to start the 2013 Baseball thread. As a Mets fan, I don't have much to look forward to in the new year, but from the perspective of a fan of the game, there are a lot of intriguing storylines this year:

- With the high powered lineup the Angels have assembled this year, you got to think Mike Scioscia's ass is going to be put to the fire. If the Angels don't make the playoffs this year then it's bye-bye Scioscia.

- Will the Orioles be as good this year as they were in 2012? How will the Yankees come back after that dismal performance in the ALCS? Will Toronto live up to all the preseason hype they've been getting. Personally speaking, I think the Jays will struggle to get to .500 by the All Star break. I think the East is going to be a dogfight between the Yanks, O's and Rays.

- How will the Tigers bounce back after getting swept in the Series? Will that defense be improved? They've got the hitting and the pitching to carry them deep into October for another year.

That's just some of my thoughts going into the new season. Can't wait 'til March 31st when it all kicks off, and oh yeah, I almost forgot, there is going to be interleauge play everyday now. How is that going to work?

vil2_baseball.gif

Well you beat me to the punch PC. I was going to start it yesterday and I actually asked EBK if she wanted the honors. I am happy someone did this. so anyway, I am a believer in my Orioles unlike the national media that want to hand Toronto the Pennant before the first pitch. I am going to predict one bold prediction. Miguel Gonzalez will win 20 games. 18 at least if I am wrong. I love this kid and his stuff. Hoping Bundy is as good as advertised. If so, look out. We need Nick Markakis to come through. I do not know the status on Brian Roberts?

Waiting to see the Red Sox with their new manager John Farrell,he is the right guy for the job. The Sox have been busy this off season they picked up Mike Napoli (1B), Shane Victorino (OF), Ryan Dempster (SP), Joel Hanrahan (RP), Koji Uehara (RP), Stephen Drew (SS), Jonny Gomes (LF) and David Ross ©.Looking foward to how the team comes together for a fresh start after the failed Bobby Valentine venture as he was booted out of Boston right quick after the end of last season.

mlbbos93.gif

Waiting to see the Red Sox with their new manager John Farrell,he is the right guy for the job. The Sox have been busy this off season they picked up Mike Napoli (1B), Shane Victorino (OF), Ryan Dempster (SP), Joel Hanrahan (RP), Koji Uehara (RP), Stephen Drew (SS), Jonny Gomes (LF) and David Ross ©.Looking foward to how the team comes together for a fresh start after the failed Bobby Valentine venture as he was booted out of Boston right quick after the end of last season.

mlbbos93.gif

I do not think the Red Sox can be a better team than my Orioles overnight. I am more worried about Toronto. Tampa lost Shields. I think that has to hurt a little. We lost Reynolds but Machado is going to be the guy and we will get Markakis back and with any luck, Roberts. Baltimore gets no respect due our horrible seasons going back to 1983 pretty much. But last year was a break through year. Yes I know all about the one run games. But know that we were second only to the Yankees in home runs and we have young guys improving like Miguel Gonzalez. Remember that name folks. And we have 3 gold gloves out of 8 positions not including pitcher. 3 of 8!!!!!! That is big. Weiters is going to be a superstar for years and i just bought his jersey. I like this team alot. Tell me why we cannot be in this damn race. Tell me.

Time for the Yankees minor league system to step up, since they didn't make any additions to their old and getting older pitching staff, worth note. The only good thing is that a-roid won't be around to choke the chicken during clutch-time. Its the Angels championship to lose.....now let's see if they can handle the pressure and expectations. Detroit came into last season with the sane hype and didn't get the job done. It's a loooong season.....

I do not think the Red Sox can be a better team than my Orioles overnight. I am more worried about Toronto. Tampa lost Shields. I think that has to hurt a little. We lost Reynolds but Machado is going to be the guy and we will get Markakis back and with any luck, Roberts. Baltimore gets no respect due our horrible seasons going back to 1983 pretty much. But last year was a break through year. Yes I know all about the one run games. But know that we were second only to the Yankees in home runs and we have young guys improving like Miguel Gonzalez. Remember that name folks. And we have 3 gold gloves out of 8 positions not including pitcher. 3 of 8!!!!!! That is big. Weiters is going to be a superstar for years and i just bought his jersey. I like this team alot. Tell me why we cannot be in this damn race. Tell me.

The AL East will be tight this year,I do think the Sox will make some noise and be in it at the end,Baltimore has as good as chance as any of the teams like you said they have some young guys coming up..thats always been the Yankees problem they never use anybody from their farm teams like the Sox ,Orioles and lots of other teams..

Seems like the Royals are trying to make some noise this year adding Ervin Santana, Wade Davis and James Shields to their rotation but it's hard for me to believe the Royals can really challenge the Tigers or the White Sox for that division. I believe in the Royals about as much as I believe in the Blue Jays. At any rate, I hope Mr. Cy Young, R.A. Dickey has a good year in Toronto. He will be missed by this Mets fan.

Seems like the Royals are trying to make some noise this year adding Ervin Santana, Wade Davis and James Shields to their rotation but it's hard for me to believe the Royals can really challenge the Tigers or the White Sox for that division. I believe in the Royals about as much as I believe in the Blue Jays. At any rate, I hope Mr. Cy Young, R.A. Dickey has a good year in Toronto. He will be missed by this Mets fan.

I am one that does believe the Royals will return to respectability. I also believe they can be in the race and even win it. The Central I mean. Detroit did not show me much in the Series and they had a heck of a time catching the White Sox. I say the Royals can absolutely be the surprise team

thats always been the Yankees problem they never use anybody from their farm teams like the Sox ,Orioles and lots of other teams..

I have to disagree with this statement ZEPFAN17. Current and recent NYY homegrown players: Jeter, Mariano, Cano, Chamberlain (ugh), Hughes, Petitte. Recent past, Posada and Bernie (I think). I'm probably missing a bunch.

So excited that NESN and CSNE (Boston stations) have started their various baseball shows. Still mulling over lifting my Red Sox ticket purchase boycott.

Current and recent NYY homegrown players: Jeter, Mariano, Cano, Chamberlain (ugh), Hughes, Petitte. Recent past, Posada and Bernie (I think). I'm probably missing a bunch.

You took the words, right out of my mouth. They haven't been on a spending spree during free agency since "The Boss" passed away, like other teams have. I still don't see anybody calling out those other teams for attempting to "buy" championships the way they used to crucify NY for doing. Money doesn't buy championships, just makes you look better on paper....

You took the words, right out of my mouth. They haven't been on a spending spree during free agency since "The Boss" passed away, like other teams have. I still don't see anybody calling out those other teams for attempting to "buy" championships the way they used to crucify NY for doing. Money doesn't buy championships, just makes you look better on paper....

Zeppfan17 is absolutely correct about the Yankees. They never brought players through the system like the Orioles and Dodgers used to. Get real. You know what Steinbrenner did. Its well documented.

I have to disagree with this statement ZEPFAN17. Current and recent NYY homegrown players: Jeter, Mariano, Cano, Chamberlain (ugh), Hughes, Petitte. Recent past, Posada and Bernie (I think). I'm probably missing a bunch.

So excited that NESN and CSNE (Boston stations) have started their various baseball shows. Still mulling over lifting my Red Sox ticket purchase boycott.

I have 2 tickets to the game on April 23rd vs the A's if you want to buy them... :)

I definitely like the O's chances to win the AL East this year, although I remember there was a poll on ESPN.com a few days ago where something like 46% voted the O's will miss the playoffs, so obviously there are a lot of non-believers out there.

I cannot believe Toronto in Las Vegas is the favorite to win the American League pennant!!!! Not just the East. The fucking Pennant!! I see alof of different opinions. The sportsline guy does like Baltimore and their chances. But he says it will all ride on the young pitchers. Well what reason do we have to believe that they will not be good? I expect them to be very good and I anm going to go on record that Miguel Gonzalez will be better than good., I say he will be great. I do not see how the Red Sox can honestly even be in the conversation this year. I like Kansas City in the Central. And I believe Oakland and the Angels and Rangers will all be very tough. Two playoff teams could emerge from that division. The National League? I am clueless. But I do suspect the Dodgers will be in the hunt. Atlanta is always good. Even with Bobby Cox now gone.

It all comes down to who has the better rotation first and foremost then hitting and defense take it the rest of the way..The Red Sox better make some moves quick for pitchers I just looked up whos coming back and it scares me to think John Lackey is signed through 2014 he has done nothing great since they signed him and the biggest blunder of all time Daisuke Matsuzaka is on his way out what a waste of money that clown was.

It all comes down to who has the better rotation first and foremost then hitting and defense take it the rest of the way..The Red Sox better make some moves quick for pitchers I just looked up whos coming back and it scares me to think John Lackey is signed through 2014 he has done nothing great since they signed him and the biggest blunder of all time Daisuke Matsuzaka is on his way out what a waste of money that clown was.

Just get your brooms ready. You have some sweepin to do in the cellar.

Heh, I think the Sox and Jays are going to be fighting with each other to see who stays out of last place. The National League should be very interesting; The Dodgers have spent a lot of money, but money can't buy you a pennant. They kind of remind me of the Lakers, a team that looks good on paper but will they gel & be a team that gives the Giants and D-Backs a run for their money in the west.

- The NL East should be a two horse race between the Braves and Nats, and won't it be nice for the Nats not to have an innings limit on Strasburg this year. The kid says he wants to pitch 200+ innings & I don't see why he can't do it. Probably the best pitcher in the NL not named Kershaw.

- The central will be a dogfight between the Reds & Cards. Will Aroldis Chapman make a successful transition from the pen to the starting rotation? Will the Reds still be reeling from that mighty choke job against the Giants in the postseason? Should be an interesting season.

Glad to see someone else likes the Orioles. It was really interesting last year - maybe even more emotional than '89, hard to say. They're solid up the middle, and it will be interesting to see if Reimold and Roberts can be healthy. It just hasn't been happening for either one of them the past couple of years. I don't expect a ton of Roberts at this point, being 35 (not hating, just trying to be realistic), and Reimold will have to have crazy output this year and for what few seasons he can just not to be another case of what might have been.

If Reimold is healthy and a producer, a very good outfield is right there. Reimold and Jones have good range, and I'm hoping that Markakis will restore some of his. After that ab tear (I think) to end '11 and the effects after that, he was slow coming back in '12. Late in the season he was ripping it up at the plate before C-Cup hit his hand. It will be interesting to see if he ends up back in that leadoff spot.

Man, Machado. So legit. That left side of the infield is a fucking force, and third isn't even his usual position. Davis should be able to bolster his defense at first since that seems to be his regular spot. Getting shuffled around a bit last year probably didn't do too much for him in that way, but he always did what he could - Adrian Gonzalez knows that pretty well.

The pitching will say so much about what the team does, especially the rotation; the 'pen still looks pretty good. There are so many rotation choices. If Bundy heads north with the big club, there will be a lot of eyes from very early on. If the league doesn't catch up with Gonzalez, he will be a stone-cold motherfucking assassin. Chen had some great games as well; I'm just wondering if he will be to the point yet where he can pitch every fifth day. He had a lot of leeway last year trying to assimilate to the MLB schedule after coming over from Japan. Plenty of good stuff from him, though, and he still logged over 190 innings. Of course, they're also trying to get the Jekyll versions of their young guys. If Tillman and Britton can bring it, I will be majorly enthused. So many other guys on the radar, too, and trying to figure their roles - Matusz, Hunter, Arrieta, Wada, Jurrjens, et al. Spring is exciting as hell this year. I can't wait for the games to start.

Glad to see someone else likes the Orioles. It was really interesting last year - maybe even more emotional than '89, hard to say. They're solid up the middle, and it will be interesting to see if Reimold and Roberts can be healthy. It just hasn't been happening for either one of them the past couple of years. I don't expect a ton of Roberts at this point, being 35 (not hating, just trying to be realistic), and Reimold will have to have crazy output this year and for what few seasons he can just not to be another case of what might have been.

If Reimold is healthy and a producer, a very good outfield is right there. Reimold and Jones have good range, and I'm hoping that Markakis will restore some of his. After that ab tear (I think) to end '11 and the effects after that, he was slow coming back in '12. Late in the season he was ripping it up at the plate before C-Cup hit his hand. It will be interesting to see if he ends up back in that leadoff spot.

Man, Machado. So legit. That left side of the infield is a fucking force, and third isn't even his usual position. Davis should be able to bolster his defense at first since that seems to be his regular spot. Getting shuffled around a bit last year probably didn't do too much for him in that way, but he always did what he could - Adrian Gonzalez knows that pretty well.

The pitching will say so much about what the team does, especially the rotation; the 'pen still looks pretty good. There are so many rotation choices. If Bundy heads north with the big club, there will be a lot of eyes from very early on. If the league doesn't catch up with Gonzalez, he will be a stone-cold motherfucking assassin. Chen had some great games as well; I'm just wondering if he will be to the point yet where he can pitch every fifth day. He had a lot of leeway last year trying to assimilate to the MLB schedule after coming over from Japan. Plenty of good stuff from him, though, and he still logged over 190 innings. Of course, they're also trying to get the Jekyll versions of their young guys. If Tillman and Britton can bring it, I will be majorly enthused. So many other guys on the radar, too, and trying to figure their roles - Matusz, Hunter, Arrieta, Wada, Jurrjens, et al. Spring is exciting as hell this year. I can't wait for the games to start.

I believe Miguel Gonzalez is going to be a big surprise to alot of people. I like this kid. I say he wins 20. 18 minimum. We have a great closer I just kind of wish we did not let Saunders go.

Archived