Robert Plant-Houston, TX-The Summit- June 22, 1985

DavidZoso

This was the first time I got to see Robert Plant live. I regret that I missed his first tour in 1983, but this show was a great experience. He was touring for his 3rd solo album Shaken 'n' Stirred-(which some people don't care for, but I think is an experimental masterpiece) and was the last album and tour to feature the underrated guitar player Robbie Blunt. This album and tour also had the late great Richie Hayward from Little Feat on drums.

I went to the show with a good friend from high school. I remember getting there a little early and having to wait for the doors to open, but while waiting we could hear Robert doing a soundcheck- they played 'In the Mood'- (the opening song a few times).

I will never forget how the show started with those opening notes of 'In the Mood'- Robert was at the top of the stage (the stage was kinda at a slant) and he slowly walked down to the microphone just in time to sing the first words. He did all the great songs from the first 3 solo albums but at about the 3/4 mark they left the stage and came back with a neon sign that said 'The Honeydrippers' and he had changed shirts and they played some songs from that Honeydrippers album. Like 'The Firm' show I saw a few months earlier in 1985, this show gave me more great memories.

I couldn't find a setlist for the Houston show but from other setlists in the same timeframe, this is basically what I remember seeing.

In the Mood

Pledge Pin

Pink and Black

Little by Little

Burning Down One Side

Too Loud

Thru' With the Two Step

Other Arms

Messin' With the Mekon

Slow Dancer

Rockin' at Midnight

Young Boy Blues

Sea of Love

Mellow Saxophone or Honey Hush

Like I've Never Been Gone

Easily Lead

Encore:

Big Log

013164plantaso.jpg

013165planstaff.jpg

013163plantphoto.jpg

013166plant6221985.jpg

Meet and Greet before show

01316700216bn10ac8bwevn.jpg

01316800217bn10ac8bwevn.jpg

Rick Barrett in the background in shades.

01317000242n10ac8bwevn0.jpg

01316900221bn10ac8bwevn.jpg

01317100222bn10ac8bwevn.jpg

Robert signing stuff for collector Rick Barrett (who I have met and bought stuff from at record conventions- he is one of the biggest Led Zeppelin collectors in the world)

01317400233bn10ac8bwevn.jpg

Robert signing stuff for Rick Barrett

01317500234bn10ac8bwevn.jpg

Robert signing stuff for Rick Barrett

01317600246n10ac8bwevn0.jpg

Jezz Woodroffe , Paul Martinez, Robert Plant, Robbie Blunt and Richie Hayward (not sure who the girls are- I thought it might be the back-up singers, but they look younger than the girls in the concert pics)

01318200226bn10ac8bwevn.jpg

Jezz Woodroffe , Paul Martinez, Robert Plant, Robbie Blunt and Richie Hayward (not sure who the girls are- I thought it might be the back-up singers, but they look younger than the girls in the concert pics)

01318300230bn10ac8bwevn.jpg

01319600446s12abg5njjf1.jpg

01319400444s12abg5njjf1.jpg

01319100440s12abg5njjf1.jpg

01319200441s12abg5njjf1.jpg

01319500445s12abg5njjf1.jpg

01319900252bn10ac8bwevn.jpg

Oh Robert, you sexy bastard!

Thanks for sharing the pics, David! Made my day you did. :D

Ah and for sharing your memories of the show as well. You lucky folks to get to see any of them performing live.

......the bras and underwear apparently still remain the same....

Holy shit those pics sure bring back some memories. I too saw Robert on this tour in Phoenix, great show!!! The only difference in the setlist was they played Dimples I believe (???) and during the Honeydrippers set Robert was dressed in a black shark skin suit with pencil tie and his hair was slicked back in a duck's ass. Oh, and the backup singers were wearing poodle skirts.

Holy shit those pics sure bring back some memories. I too saw Robert on this tour in Phoenix, great show!!! The only difference in the setlist was they played Dimples I believe (???)

I can confirm to a degree songs he performed the same week as the Houston show. I've got an incomplete recording of the '85 Phoenix show (it was in '88 they frequently segued into John Lee Hooker's Dimples)...

Robert Plant June 19th 1985 Phoenix, AZ USA Veteran’s Coliseum

(incomplete audience recording)

In The Mood

Pledge Pin

Pink And Black

Little By Little

Burning Down One Side

Too Loud

Like I’ve Never Been Gone

Thru With The Two Step

Messin' With The Mekon

Other Arms

Slow Dancer

Big Log

Rockin’ At Midnight

Young Boy Blues

Mellow Saxophone

Sea Of Love

Honey Hush

----------Encore-------------

Easily Lead

...I also have an incomplete soundboard recording of the Dallas show...

Robert Plant June 24th 1985 Dallas, TX Reunion Arena

(incomplete soundboard recording)

In The Mood

Little By Little

Easily Lead

Too Loud

Pledge Pin

Fat Lip

Slow Dancer

Rockin’ At Midnight

Young Boy Blues (medley with Don’t Make Me A Prisoner of Love and Boogie Woogie)

Mellow Saxaphone

Sea Of Love

----------Encore------------

Big Log

so that guy at live aid was paul martinez . i saw some after performance video of am interview and it looks like the guy hanging around plant.

That is correct - here is a photo of me and Ronnie Lane with Robert hanging out backstage before the show in Houston in 1985.... You will see Paul Martinez in the back with the lighter and longtime Zep Atlantic exec Phil Carson next to him.... This is about 3 weeks before Live Aid.........

Bucks-and-Plant-B.jpg

That is correct - here is a photo of me and Ronnie Lane with Robert hanging out backstage before the show in Houston in 1985.... You will see Paul Martinez in the back with the lighter and longtime Zep Atlantic exec Phil Carson next to him.... This is about 3 weeks before Live Aid.........

Bucks-and-Plant-B.jpg

Hey DavidZoso-

I got more photos to add to this pile, concert wise and backstage, as I attended this with Ronnie Lane - it was really good to see Ronnie and Robert bond once again after many years of friendship.... 1985 was a great time to be in Houston - will post soon

I got this setlist for this Houston show from my friend Don-Dallas Knebs. Thank you so much.

In the Mood

Pledge Pin

Pink and Black

Little by Little

Burning Down One Side

Too Loud

Thru' With the Two Step

Other Arms

Messin' With the Mekon

Slow Dancer

Rockin' at Midnight

Young Boy Blues