Presence Question

magerogue

So what guitars did Jimmy really use in the recording of Presence. It's my favorite Zepp album, and Hots On For Nowhere is my favorite, but I can't understand what guitars he uses. ALS sounds like a LP, FYL is an obvious Strat, but then on I can't figure it out? Can you guys help me!?

So what guitars did Jimmy really use in the recording of Presence. It's my favorite Zepp album, and Hots On For Nowhere is my favorite, but I can't understand what guitars he uses. ALS sounds like a LP, FYL is an obvious Strat, but then on I can't figure it out? Can you guys help me!?

check this guy out...great stuff and usually bang on...he;s using a strat so I would gather Jimmy may have too...

Yeah I've seen that video, but the tone doesnt match the records at all... thanks anyway

...may help too know what amps were used too. I thought I saw someone post something about all the gear that was used by Page on various albums elsewhere on this forum or maybe somewhere else. If I can re-locate it, I will get it to you ...cheers

...may help too know what amps were used too. I thought I saw someone post something about all the gear that was used by Page on various albums elsewhere on this forum or maybe somewhere else. If I can re-locate it, I will get it to you ...cheers

Yeah I've seen it online on a website but I dont remember what the name was, I do remember seeing that he used AC30's on Houses of the holy...

You can hear Les Paul on some tracks however many of the songs on the album are done on a telecaster, at least that is what I hear and has been my understanding for a few years. Of course this is just based on what I have picked up on so it could be wrong I certainly wasn't in the studio with them.

ALS: LP's, Strats, Teles, acoustic guitars the whole army is on that

FYL: Strat

RO: Les Paul and maybe some strat

NFBM: Les Paul all the way

Candy Store Rock: This is a hard one and I'm just not sure could be Tele or one of his hollowbody Gibsons very hard to say

Hots: Les Paul on the verses Strat on the solo combo of both at the end

Tea for One: Les Paul all the way

Candy Store Rock: This is a hard one and I'm just not sure could be Tele or one of his hollowbody Gibsons very hard to say

That's what my ears tell me too, as far as the 'blend' of Gibsons and Fenders go. It's worth mentioning that the only acoustic guitar on the album is a subtly-mixed rhythm guitar on "Candy Store Rock" (I do not hear any acoustics on "Achilles" or anyplace else on the album). I too am curious about the amps James Patrick used at the Musicland sessions. Some of the tones he conjured up for these songs are to die for- if I didn't know better, I'd bet that the "Tea For One" and "Achilles Last Stand" solos were done back to back, the tones are almost identical, and a sound Page would return to on at least "Upon A Golden Horse" from Walking Into Clarksdale (first time I heard that I said, "Ah...the Presence tone!" :lol )

Actually, now that I think about it, after Presence, Page appeared to adopt Strats and Tele-type guitars for the most part in his studio work; I'm pretty sure In Through The Out Door is mainly Fenders, and the B-Bender Tele sound was Page's trademark in The Firm days. Yet when you think of Jimmy Page, it's with a Les Paul hanging down around his knees.

Presence is my favourite guitar album period.

Edited by Nutrocker

• 4 years later...

To my ears, it sounds like Jimmy's brown Tele and his blue Strat through a cranked-up AC30 for the majority of Presence (save for the acoustic guitar on Candy Store Rock, and the 12-string at the end of Achilles' Last Stand). The guitar army in Achilles' Last Stand is hard to decipher, but the primary lead guitar track is a Tele. For Your Life is definitely a Strat for the rhythm tracks, but the solo was done with a Tele (note the B-bender and the exaggerated unison bend at the end). Royal Orleans is likely the same thing. Nobody's Fault But Mine is probably all Tele. Same with Candy Store Rock. Hots On For Nowhere is most likely a Tele for the rhythms, but the solo is unmistakably a Strat. Tea For One is probably a Tele/Les Paul combination, with the blazing, heavily reverberated guitar solo done on a Tele. This is a tone I've been chasing ever since I started playing guitar.

On 2/23/2013 at 9:58 AM, bluecongo said:

ALS section one is LP1, artic strat (vari-speed), tele1(vari-speed), section two is ES, LP3 (vari-speed), LP1, tele2, tele1, dubs are everything

FYL is triple tracked Strat

RO is LP1 and Rickie

NFBM is LP3 & LP2

CSR is ES & Tele    Candy Store Rock starts at 7:35... not too sticky

HOFNW is LP v's and Strat solo w/double LP and double Strat on tag

T41 is LP3 and LP1

Edited by Dallas Knebs
Added YouTube link for CSR

22 hours ago, sixpense said:

Les Paul

IpMan: Then how do you explain the tremolo? Bigsby?

No tremolo used.  All string bending. At the beginning there is an open g note (third string) that Jimmy is bending behind the nut. Later on around 5:17 he is playing two notes. Pinky on the first string fifteenth fret while pre-bending the second string at the fifteenth fret up a whole step (with variations). Jeff Beck is known for this technique. Source is Prescence guitar tab edition published in 1995.

If Jimmy was using the tremolo, the section around 5:17 would sound different. The first string's pitch that he is holding with his pinky would change along with the second string. That is not the case here. The note on the first string is stable while the second bends up and down in variations.

Also the sound (to me) is a humbucker through a small vox amp. (not the Supro - which is the rhythm.)

Edited by sixpense

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 4:18 AM, Dallas Knebs said:

ALS section one is LP1, artic strat (vari-speed), tele1(vari-speed), section two is ES, LP3 (vari-speed), LP1, tele2, tele1, dubs are everything

FYL is triple tracked Strat

RO is LP1 and Rickie

NFBM is LP3 & LP2

CSR is ES & Tele    Candy Store Rock starts at 7:35... not too sticky

HOFNW is LP v's and Strat solo w/double LP and double Strat on tag

T41 is LP3 and LP1

I don't think i've seen this  clip before, if I have it was so long ago as to have forgotten about it. my baby left me and all of them really. give me something like this over any reunion nonsense

16 hours ago, sixpense said:

IpMan: Then how do you explain the tremolo? Bigsby?

No tremolo used.  All string bending. At the beginning there is an open g note (third string) that Jimmy is bending behind the nut. Later on around 5:17 he is playing two notes. Pinky on the first string fifteenth fret while pre-bending the second string at the fifteenth fret up a whole step (with variations). Jeff Beck is known for this technique. Source is Prescence guitar tab edition published in 1995.

If Jimmy was using the tremolo, the section around 5:17 would sound different. The first string's pitch that he is holding with his pinky would change along with the second string. That is not the case here. The note on the first string is stable while the second bends up and down in variations.

Also the sound (to me) is a humbucker through a small vox amp. (not the Supro - which is the rhythm.)

I never noticed that before you pointed it out, thanks Six. 

• 1 year later...

Hold the phone, please.... and remember that whatever he played live in concert back in the day or afterwards is NO indication of what he played int he studio. 10 Years Gone is a prime example - recorded with a strat, played a tele/b-bender live with Zep, then used a LP in the 90's.

Achilles main parts and the intro (which is actually two tracks, not a delay - try panning hard left and right)

That is definitely a strat!! My custom strat now has the Fender 57/64 pups and through the heralded '74 Super Lead (NON master, 4 input head) it is perfect.

The solo's as well, although an outside chance of a tele on the main solo. LP possibly mixed in on some of the climbing 6th's sections and/or parallel thirds (see my video on how I play them all at the same time, even bending together, Led Lab Volume I).

Nobody's Fault But Mine is a TELECASTER (sorry to shout! LOL)

If you can;t hear that, you have never plugged one into a vintage Marshall NMV head. (He may have even used a HiWatt DR103, modded?)

My 50's era tele through the Super Lead is spot on. Just listening to recent rehearsal tapes just now, and no argument. Boom. Page's live sound difference is so noticeable with the LP. I do not like it. :)

(Performance note: Page also plays it differently live, a in the studio recording you can clearly hear the open B string ringing while playing the 'D' note in the opening riff (and when it is played throughout as well). That means he was playing the ENTIRE LINE on the third string, not in open position like seen live. Interesting.....)

But the Paul shines perfectly as expected on all 10 delicious minutes of Tea for one. Love it, and my 10+ pound les paul.

Rock on guys, and keep up the Zeppelin in the clubs, concert halls, youtube and the living room.