zeppelin tampa 77 could have been greatest show ever!

billyveest

shit its kick ass. i'm sure with that outdoor sound set-up it was so loud it probably got hard to hear individual members of the bands' playing. I've experienced the "so loud you couldn't hear" effect. Good thing the recordings are great!

I've seen many many concerts in my time. I've discovered that there is a difference between bands. Some are loud and clear, Zep, Deep Purple, Van Halen, Journey, Ozzy were all loud/clear. Several bands were just loud and annoying with no notes just noise. I saw them in Tampa in 73 and I heard every note and Roberts vocals were clear. I saw with my daughter Jacks Mannequin, he warmed up for Panic! At The Disco. I'm very glad I had ear plugs. Horrible horrible sound. But sometimes recordings are not that great either. Engineers don't exactly hear correctly all the time!

Jeff

shit its kick ass. i'm sure with that outdoor sound set-up it was so loud it probably got hard to hear individual members of the bands' playing. I've experienced the "so loud you couldn't hear" effect. Good thing the recordings are great!

The sound at the show was obviously done well (which makes sense, Zeppelin had done enough big stadium shows by this point); and the band was off and running from the get go. Tampa probably would have ended up in the upper echelon of '77 performances playing wise, not just based on the riot :lol:

i was there i've never seen a band even come close since& only 3 songs!

Well, you were there, what did you think about them cancelling the show at the last minute? Robert Plant told the crowd at first they were stopping for fifteen minutes...I can only imagine the atmosphere as it became obvious the band wasn't coming back :lol: At least Peter Grant admitted they'd fucked up in retrospect, the tickets said 'rain or shine', and that should have been honoured. A moot point in the end, but wasn't Zeppelin banned from playing Tampa after this show?

The sound at the show was obviously done well (which makes sense, Zeppelin had done enough big stadium shows by this point); and the band was off and running from the get go. Tampa probably would have ended up in the upper echelon of '77 performances playing wise, not just based on the riot :lol:

Well, you were there, what did you think about them cancelling the show at the last minute? Robert Plant told the crowd at first they were stopping for fifteen minutes...I can only imagine the atmosphere as it became obvious the band wasn't coming back :lol: At least Peter Grant admitted they'd fucked up in retrospect, the tickets said 'rain or shine', and that should have been honoured. A moot point in the end, but wasn't Zeppelin banned from playing Tampa after this show?

When I saw Zep in 73 I believe they had their own PA system. I say this because when I look at other pics from that year at other venues it's the same. So it's safe to assume that they had their own PA system they brought with them. The sound in 73 was perfect. And I was about on the 30 yd line off to the side on JPJ's side.

Jeff

When I saw Zep in 73 I believe they had their own PA system. I say this because when I look at other pics from that year at other venues it's the same. So it's safe to assume that they had their own PA system they brought with them. The sound in 73 was perfect. And I was about on the 30 yd line off to the side on JPJ's side.

Jeff

Showco started doing Zep's live sound in 1970. I'd say they knew their shit...

"but wasn't Zeppelin banned from playing Tampa after this show?"

After the 77 riot All live performances were banned at Tampa Stadium until 1989.

That's not true. Saw U2 there in '87 and Floyd also in '87, Monsters of Rock in '88 as well. Zeppelin was banned from playing there, that is/was true.

That's not true. Saw U2 there in '87 and Floyd also in '87, Monsters of Rock in '88 as well. Zeppelin was banned from playing there, that is/was true.

I was going to get tics for U2 but they were behind the stage so we said no. Saw Pink Floyd in 87 like you. Great show! Wasn't Monsters of Rock with VH, The Scorpions, etc?

Jeff

I was going to get tics for U2 but they were behind the stage so we said no. Saw Pink Floyd in 87 like you. Great show! Wasn't Monsters of Rock with VH, The Scorpions, etc?

Jeff

I actually lucked into a ticket at the last minute for U2. Didn't even like them that much, until that show! What a fun night it was at the Big Sombrero....

Remember the pig bursting into flames at the Floyd show there? Every time I have seen them/Waters the pig gets pulled backstage after its appearance - but not that night!

Monsters of Rock, Kingdome Come opened that show - so Zeppelinesque! First time of many seeing Metallica too! Saw the Scorps in '84 and then again in the early 90's and VH - it was the first time of 4 seeing them.

Great memories at the old Tampa Stadium....oh yeah, being in the 4th row for The Who in the summer of '89 with the pinball bouncing all around the field - GREAT TIMES!!! :)

:peace:

• 4 months later...

Though it was not a complete concert, Tampa '77 was a concert that makes my list of awesome events. LZ jamming as the storm light show moved in. And the party that took place on the field, under a tarp, during the storm was the best. Only riot I've been to so I have no reference, but I enjoyed it until the cops came off the stage and started swinging their clubs.

Archived