Best Rock and Roll version

tictac

In my opinion, this song should have been retired by '75 (with exceptions). My favorite version is 2/27/72 (just wish the beginning wasn't cut!), with the version off HTWWW in second. There was this really unique version in '71 that I LOVE, but I can't remember the date right now.

I've never minded Robert's decline in vocal ability with this song...or any others. It happened, so, it doesn't bother me.

I think my favourite/the best version I've ever heard is the version included on HTWWW (1972.06.27).

• 3 weeks later...

The best Rock and roll is probably from montreaux 1971. Probably one of Plants best nights. On this show , he leads the band. Black dog from this show is also my favorite. He just screams the lyrics and hits notes that he would never reach again . Rock and roll from HTWWW is also great. I didnt like the rock and roll from SRTS because I felt it lacked energy . Some of the 1977 Rock and rolls were better since they were played at a faster tempo and Bonzo would try something different. 1975 was a horrible year for that song as they used to open with the number and Plants voice would crack almost every night (except Seattle 21)

The best Rock and roll is probably from montreaux 1971. Probably one of Plants best nights. On this show , he leads the band. Black dog from this show is also my favorite. He just screams the lyrics and hits notes that he would never reach again . Rock and roll from HTWWW is also great. I didnt like the rock and roll from SRTS because I felt it lacked energy . Some of the 1977 Rock and rolls were better since they were played at a faster tempo and Bonzo would try something different. 1975 was a horrible year for that song as they used to open with the number and Plants voice would crack almost every night (except Seattle 21)

RnR wasn't played at Montreux 1971.08.07.

I agree that in 73 - 75 not only Plant's vocals were lower and poorly sung but they played it too slow. The same with 73' Stairways. 07.17 comes to mind. It's so slow they almost stop.

• 4 years later...
4 hours ago, ZepHead315 said:

I'm surprised no one here has said 8/21/71 yet. Robert's vocals here are INSANE! And Bonzo's drums come across very loudly!

This is an absolutely burning version, although the pitch is way too fast here. It's a half step sharp!!  Plant's screams at the end are blistering. I can't recall another version where he goes so apeshit!  No wonder he shredded his vocal chords. 

On 4/27/2017 at 6:32 PM, ZepHead315 said:

I'm surprised no one here has said 8/21/71 yet. Robert's vocals here are INSANE! And Bonzo's drums come across very loudly!

That's the one I was going to mention. It's just got a hell of an intensity to it, and of course the insane vocals.

Archived