4 May 1973 - Atlanta

Geezer

I don't recall if it was this site or another, but this photo is reputed to be from the soundcheck earlier in the day.

USTour1973_zps40bf42f3.jpg

I think there is a copy in the '73 pictures section. Thanks for placing this. I had always love Jimmy's outfit here and wondered which show this was. I have Circus from '73 where Robert is singing in sunglasses. That also must be from the soundcheck. I thought it was an actual show, so thank you. :D

Hello,

My name is Jason Sprinzen. I am currently writing a book about Showco- the legendary sound and lighting company from Dallas, Texas. Showco produced every Led Zeppelin tour from 1971 through 1980. I recently came across an interesting collection of 10 polaroid photographs that were in my archive while doing research on the 1973 North American Tour. They were taken by a crew member who must have been standing in the middle of the field while Led Zeppelin was running through their daytime sound check. From the photographs, you can clearly see two very large white (what could possibly be) projection screens on either side of the stage. I will be speaking with the crew member in the near future and ask him his memories of this little documented show. These mentioned photos will be pictured in my upcoming book. If I uncover information on this show I will definitely pass it along. Thanks!

Circus - February 1975:

circusfullpage_zps0a6d1752.png

Here's another one I found attributed to Atlanta:

73Atlanta_zps55d7771e.jpg

Note: Laurence Ratner's 1993 book "Live Dreams" includes several pictures from the Atlanta show.

Thanks for the info. I sifted through Ratner's website on which there are several of his photos but none of them are from 4 May 1973. Spectacular photos. By the way, do you have that book?

Hello,

My name is Jason Sprinzen. I am currently writing a book about Showco- the legendary sound and lighting company from Dallas, Texas. Showco produced every Led Zeppelin tour from 1971 through 1980. I recently came across an interesting collection of 10 polaroid photographs that were in my archive while doing research on the 1973 North American Tour. They were taken by a crew member who must have been standing in the middle of the field while Led Zeppelin was running through their daytime sound check. From the photographs, you can clearly see two very large white (what could possibly be) projection screens on either side of the stage. I will be speaking with the crew member in the near future and ask him his memories of this little documented show. These mentioned photos will be pictured in my upcoming book. If I uncover information on this show I will definitely pass it along. Thanks!

Sprinz, thanks for replying. Keep us posted about your book and your conversation with a Showco employee.

• 3 weeks later...

According to Laurance Ratner, there were definitely super-giant video screens at the Atlanta show. He didn't know if any of the video was being recorded.

He remembered the silver sparkly shirt that Robert had.

Regarding Showco.. it was Joe Crowley from Showco who hooked Laurance up for the Atlanta and Tampa (back to back) shows. He didn't take too many shots at the Atlanta show.. Seems he didn't go down to the roped off area in front of the stage, he ended up on the actual stage, at stage left. The only people on the stage at that show, were the band, the roadies, Laurance, and Ahmet Ertegun, accompanied by a young lady ( his niece?). Laurance was hesitant to overdo the photo thing with Ahmet right next to him. Halfway through the show, at the end of Dazed and Confused, Jimmy's roadie placed his violin bow ( severely shredded) right next to Laurance. He ended up spending half the show, wondering how he was going to make off with it, perhaps in his pants leg. But decided against it, again...with Ahmet right next to him.

The presence of video screens doen't mean much to me. The only reason they would be used for was to show close-up shots of the band members, (Earls Court, Pontiac, Seatle) which means that cameramen should've been standing near the stage. ZepLove, do you have all of the photos that Ratner shot at the 4 May show? If yes, then please post them.

Does anyone have any photos of this show? The show was allegedly filmed, and a single photo with cameras/video screen in action would confirm it. This is all we have:

atlanta73-7.jpg

You can see in a pics from this May 4 Atlanta show the 'Ludwig' logo on the front head of the brand-new Amber Vista bass drum. Right after this show they put the three ring head on.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

Definitely looking forward to your book, Jason. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

According to Laurance Ratner, there were definitely super-giant video screens at the Atlanta show. He didn't know if any of the video was being recorded.

He remembered the silver sparkly shirt that Robert had.

Regarding Showco.. it was Joe Crowley from Showco who hooked Laurance up for the Atlanta and Tampa (back to back) shows. He didn't take too many shots at the Atlanta show.. Seems he didn't go down to the roped off area in front of the stage, he ended up on the actual stage, at stage left. The only people on the stage at that show, were the band, the roadies, Laurance, and Ahmet Ertegun, accompanied by a young lady ( his niece?). Laurance was hesitant to overdo the photo thing with Ahmet right next to him. Halfway through the show, at the end of Dazed and Confused, Jimmy's roadie placed his violin bow ( severely shredded) right next to Laurance. He ended up spending half the show, wondering how he was going to make off with it, perhaps in his pants leg. But decided against it, again...with Ahmet right next to him.

Thanks for the account, but did Ratner take any photos at all? None of them appear in Live Dreams.

Archived