April 1971 recording - reference to Ted Ray

Hi. As a lad, I taped the 1 April 1971 BBC show off the radio and it's what I listened to for many years. When I got the 'BBC Sessions' CD, I really missed the between-song chat. I now have the Empress Valley CD called 'The Complete BBC Radio Sessions' and it certainly seems to be complete bar one thing:

On my old cassette tape, Robert Plant finishes Whole Lotta Love with “Thank you. I'm afraid that's all we've got time for this week, folks. The man next week, Ted Ray. Ted Ray next week.”

On the Empress Valley CD, we hear “...this week, folks” but no mention of Ted Ray even though the sound of the audience continues.

Am I going mad or does anyone know what I'm talking about and can offer an explanation?

Hi. As a lad, I taped the 1 April 1971 BBC show off the radio and it's what I listened to for many years. When I got the 'BBC Sessions' CD, I really missed the between-song chat. I now have the Empress Valley CD called 'The Complete BBC Radio Sessions' and it certainly seems to be complete bar one thing:

On my old cassette tape, Robert Plant finishes Whole Lotta Love with “Thank you. I'm afraid that's all we've got time for this week, folks. The man next week, Ted Ray. Ted Ray next week.”

On the Empress Valley CD, we hear “...this week, folks” but no mention of Ted Ray even though the sound of the audience continues.

Am I going mad or does anyone know what I'm talking about and can offer an explanation?

You ain't going mad, check out the last few seconds of this clip

Thanks for that RiotHouse. I'd really like to know, then, why the Empress Valley CD doesn't have the 'Ted Ray' bit. As I said, the cheering audience can be heard for quite a while so it's not as if they did a fade-out after "...this week, folks". Very strange...

Archived