Celebration Day overdubs

Hey, I just wanna post this curious question... could we find and make a list of overdubs done in Celebration Day? They were asked in an interwiev if there were any overdubs in there, and JP admited, they made a few... not many, but they did make few. Its natural that in a live performance u might wanna polish someting before putting it out on DVD while keeping the live spirit in it ofc... so its not supposed to be a: Look they did overdubs. Thats bad kind of thread. Just make a list out of curiosity.

So who noticed what overdubs???

There is plenty of omitments inbetween songs (Jason singing I cant quit you, Robers introduction to Kashmir etc from top of my head), that everyone knows. Also the feedback in first two songs had to be removed. I have just now noticed, in good times bad times, there has clearly been added a cowbell throughout the song... that is a first real overdub I noticed tbh.

So... any more? :).

To me it sounds like the harmonica solo during NFBM from the rehearsal night was patched in for the movie, more lively than the boot I have of the 02 show version. Also, the guitar was turned down in the beginning of IMTOD (after the slide intro) and has been turned up for Celebration Day.

Walter is correct - the harmonica solo is either from the rehearsal, or else a totally new one Plant did after the fact in the studio. And there's a missing guitar note in IMTOD that has magically been restored.

As for doubled vocals on TSTRS and Kashmir, I wasn't aware of those. I'll have to re-listen.

On Dazed & Confused, the mess-up is still there, but it's been altered and they've made it sound like a less-serious screwup than it was. Not sure exactly what they did.

Finally, not an overdub per se, but Robert said at one of the initial press conferences that he was "running out of steam" at the end of Kashmir, and so they auto-tuned one or two of his final wails. Gotta respect the guy for saying that - he certainly didn't have to, especially since it's just one instance.

On Dazed & Confused, the mess-up is still there, but it's been altered and they've made it sound like a less-serious screwup than it was. Not sure exactly what they did.

Yeah, this. I noticed the same. Also not sure what they did, imo they just adjusted levels and maybe fixed some timing, but its still there, just not THAT obvious...

• 3 weeks later...

I have just now noticed, in good times bad times, there has clearly been added a cowbell throughout the song... that is a first real overdub I noticed tbh.

Go back and listen to the audience recordings -- you can quite audibly hear a cowbell (or a similar sound) during the quieter portions of the song.

in the TSRTS and Kashmir i can hear two vocal tracks in parts

Can you point out any specific instances? I don't hear "two vocal tracks" -- echo/reverb/other processing, sure.

Walter is correct - the harmonica solo is either from the rehearsal, or else a totally new one Plant did after the fact in the studio. And there's a missing guitar note in IMTOD that has magically been restored.

[...]

Finally, not an overdub per se, but Robert said at one of the initial press conferences that he was "running out of steam" at the end of Kashmir, and so they auto-tuned one or two of his final wails. Gotta respect the guy for saying that - he certainly didn't have to, especially since it's just one instance.

Since the rehearsal -- at least the one we have -- appears to not have been professionally recorded, I suppose we have to assume a studio overdub? (Is it even Rob?)

"Dazed" was cleaned up -- I don't notice the fuck-up nearly as much...

Go back and listen to the audience recordings -- you can quite audibly hear a cowbell (or a similar sound) during the quieter portions of the song.

Well in Celebration day, you can hear cow bell during the WHOLE (almost) song. And since there are a lot of shots of Jason, you can see that his hands doing all but cow bell :). Yes. He did use cow bell, but only occasionally where he could, whereas in Celebration day, its been added also to all he other places where he was bussy doing other stuff :)).

Well in Celebration day, you can hear cow bell during the WHOLE (almost) song. And since there are a lot of shots of Jason, you can see that his hands doing all but cow bell :). Yes. He did use cow bell, but only occasionally where he could, whereas in Celebration day, its been added also to all he other places where he was bussy doing other stuff :)).

Perhaps. Hard to tell, based on the aud recordings and some of the shaky/distant films. Will have to go back and watch the official release...not sure why they'd add more cow bell, unless they were adopting the meme. :P

One thing I actually kind of wish they could have fixed was this- in SRTS, JPJ comes in on the wrong note. (I'm assuming he didn't mean to do that, being he never has done it, coming in on what would be the "A" instead of what would be the "D")

One thing I actually kind of wish they could have fixed was this- in SRTS, JPJ comes in on the wrong note. (I'm assuming he didn't mean to do that, being he never has done it, coming in on what would be the "A" instead of what would be the "D")

I recall reading an interview with Jones where he says something along the lines of "i messed up a part and I thought, oh tomorrow night ill be sure to have that right." I wonder if that was it ha!

What's the big deal about the mistake in D&C??? I have listened to the unedited version about 10 times and that mistake was no train wreck, it was minor and even the most technical musicians do it from time to time. I have heard many a train wreck in my time and I do not believe this even rates anything more than a minor timing issue, which must be said, they corrected within a few bars which is amazing. A timing issue can kill a song faster than George Michael can get on his knees, but for the mighty Zep it was a mere faux pas.

I can't help but think that the Celebration Day concert should have been taken to the USA shores as well.

There's no mistake that the US fans supported Zeppelin in good (1968 - 1975) and bad times (1977) and certainly

deserved to see Zeppelin again - not that the O2 was wrong it's just that New York or Dallas or Seattle should

have been considered as well.

What's the big deal about the mistake in D&C??? I have listened to the unedited version about 10 times and that mistake was no train wreck, it was minor and even the most technical musicians do it from time to time. I have heard many a train wreck in my time and I do not believe this even rates anything more than a minor timing issue, which must be said, they corrected within a few bars which is amazing. A timing issue can kill a song faster than George Michael can get on his knees, but for the mighty Zep it was a mere faux pas.

They're such seasoned pros that knew exactly what to do when they realized things were out of whack. They covered their tracks pretty well, but it was a pretty noticeable mistake.

Ofc, thats what LIVE music is all about. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone messes up, only that good musicians mess less and when they do, they handle it with grace!!! There is nothing wront with talking about it. There is a lot of musicians and we are curious about every such a thing... what they did, how they handled etc and want to discuss it. Its no bashing, its pure discusion. There is no big deal about it.

Archived