Favorite live version of In My Time of Dying...

paul carruthers

I know the obvious answer to this might be Earl's Court, both the 24th and 25th, but I also have to single out Vancouver 3/19/75 & Baton Rogue 2/28/75 and some of my favorite '77 versions, 4/27/77, 5/21/77 and 6/7/77.

I also have to add that as much as I like the '77 versions, nothing beats Jonesy's Fender Jazz Bass from 1975. The Alembic bass just doesn't thump as loud as the Fender.

So, what's your favorite version?

One could probably pick any version from Led Zeppelin's 75' North American tour, because this song was consistently great during that time.

I'll go ahead and say "In My Time Of Dying" from Dallas, Texas 3/4/75

1977/06/22 - hands down greatest ever. Everyone firing on all cylinders and Plant is in overdrive. Version clocks in at almost 13 minutes, includes "Lemon Song" jam and even causes Plant to comment on the "nostalgia" of the improvisation.

I get the feeling many shows like 1977/04/28 and 1977/06/22 aren't being listened to because they don't sound like Eddie. There is more out there than soundboards and Earls Court.

1977/06/22 - hands down greatest ever. Everyone firing on all cylinders and Plant is in overdrive. Version clocks in at almost 13 minutes, includes "Lemon Song" jam and even causes Plant to comment on the "nostalgia" of the improvisation.

I get the feeling many shows like 1977/04/28 and 1977/06/22 aren't being listened to because they don't sound like Eddie. There is more out there than soundboards and Earls Court.

I've heard 6/22 is an immense performance, I have the show too! I'll give that a listen tonight for sure. Over the Hills that night is insane too. Definitely an overlooked show cause its sandwiched between Eddie and Badgeholders.

So far my favorite version is 6/25/77, love the little Rip It Up bit.

I've heard 6/22 is an immense performance, I have the show too! I'll give that a listen tonight for sure. Over the Hills that night is insane too. Definitely an overlooked show cause its sandwiched between Eddie and Badgeholders.

So far my favorite version is 6/25/77, love the little Rip It Up bit.

+1! I haven't heard the 6/22/77 version, but I do LOVE the 25th version!

:thumbsup:

+1! I haven't heard the 6/22/77 version, but I do LOVE the 25th version!

:thumbsup:

Trust me Walter, if you like the 6/25 version, you'd love the 6/22 version...that is a killer fucking show all around- its obscurity is only based on the mediocre audience tapes- I'm pretty sure if Millard had taped 6/22 it'd probably have a better reputation than the Eddie or the Badgeholders shows.

6/22/77 is the mother of all IMTOD versions IMO; the 6/25/77 is a carbon copy at best.

I also have to add that as much as I like the '77 versions, nothing beats Jonesy's Fender Jazz Bass from 1975. The Alembic bass just doesn't thump as loud as the Fender.

JPJ actually used his fretless Fender Precision Bass for IMTOD in '77, not the Alembic.

All my favorites are covered in this thread. Specifically:

6/25/77 - love the Rip It Up bit. The rest of the performance is very good, but I agree with Nutrocker that this night is not the very best.

6/7/77 - I really like this one - nice and heavy, with great energy.

O2 - I think IMTOD is the best performance on Celebration Day (with all due respect to those who think Kashmir is). And it sounds just monstrous - Page's opening guitar sounds like I always wish it did on all the soundboards.

Overall I'd say I prefer the '77s to the '75s - the '75s are great and I enjoy them (particularly Dallas and Seattle), but there's something more sinister about the '77 versions.

I'll have to check out 6/22 again - hard to get past that tape quality with so many other great tapes from that Forum run.

I know the obvious answer to this might be Earl's Court, both the 24th and 25th, but I also have to single out Vancouver 3/19/75 & Baton Rogue 2/28/75 and some of my favorite '77 versions, 4/27/77, 5/21/77 and 6/7/77.

So, what's your favorite version?

It's a fretless Fender Precision

22/6/77 is definitely my favourite version, closely followed by the 25/6/77 version. The recently surfaced soundboard of the 25/5/77 show also features a good version of IMTOD, Jimmys guitar sounds much more raunchy than on other soundboards to my ears. The Flying Cricus version from '75 is also pretty good, but I tend to prefer versions from '77. I'll give an honourable mention to 21/5/77 as well.

My personal is 6/25/77. Really rocks and love the "Rip It Up" Elvis bit at the end. Don't have the 6/22 version or have ever heard it, but will give it a listen. Like the 75 versions, but Plant's voice is in such poor shape during this tour, it's hard for me to consider these versions, no matter how much he gave it. Although, it seemed to improve somewhat for the Earls Courts dates over the USA ones. The O2 is a great version and it's pretty close for me vs. the 6/25/77 version, but I think it would be best to just consider when Bonzo was with LZ.

"The obvious answer?" I disagree.

Those nights did contain good versions of "In My Time Of Dying", but John Bonham's playing, for whatever reason, was quite reserved during the Earl's Court shows, whereas Bonham was a terror on the skins for the majority of the North American tour.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived