Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
augustus

Best song off Houses of the Holy

492 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite song on Houses of the Holy?

• The Song Remains the Same
    • The Rain Song
    • Over the Hills and Far Away
    • The Crunge
    • Dancing Days
    • D'yer Mak'er
    • No Quarter
    • The Ocean

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

186 posts in this topic

The best song is the Rain Song, and though it's beautiful, there is something about Dancing Days, which is probobly my favorite, followed by SRTS and the Ocean. My favorite line in a Zep song is in the Ocean, "Now sing all my songs....that's a real fine way to start"

I picked OTHAFA, but The Ocean was a close 2nd for me.

Dancin Days - anthem of my youth although so was Custard Pie :)

Edited by Ronniedawg

HOTH is one of my very favorite Zep albums - it was one of my favorites back when it was released and it remains a favorite to this day because it brings me right back to the '73 U.S. concert days. To me, the best song on the album is TSRTS. More than any other song on HOTH, TSRTS evokes such strong memories of that time, including the awe and the love I felt when I stood there and watched it being performed live. Second best: The Ocean - it comes very close to having the same effect on me. :D

No Quarter leading into The Ocean. Great finish to a great album B)

I had a tough time with this, but in the end it was TSRTS over The Rain Song. In the end, it was the pure energy at the start and Jimmy's guitar that sold me. Not to discount TRS. Imo, it's every bit as good, or even better, that STH.

TSRTS because it's makes me feel so f'in ALIVE!

This is a seriously difficult album to choose a best song from. You can pick a #1 if you try hard enough but everything else would be #1(a).

toughy it would either be rain song, no quarter, or ocean.

I voted for The Crunge because, although I like them all equally, I was certain this one would have the least votes and I felt sorry for it...

Turns out I was right. :(

"Wheres that confounded bridge!?"

I voted for Over The Hills and Far Away although it was an extremely hard and difficult choice between OTHAFA No Quarter and TSRTS but I had to make a choice and i ended up with OTHAFA. I just love how it starts and follows through and the lyrics are wonderful.

Great album id have to go with Over the hills and far away. To me man, Thats one of the best they have ever written and it stands out so much on that album.

In this order

Over the hills

the rain song

the ocean

the song remains the same

no quarter

dancing days

the crunge

dyer maker

The Rain Song especially due to jimmy's amazing playing on this track ...

This is quite a difficult album to pick a favourite from.

I don't really like the tinny production on most of the tracks here...so it would have to be d'yer mak'er

closely followed by over the hills.

I do, however, think the SRTS version of Rain Song is brilliant

caroselambra~

The Rain Song for me, BUT I love the live versions of No Quarter more than the studio version.

I voted for The Crunge because, although I like them all equally, I was certain this one would have the least votes and I felt sorry for it...

Turns out I was right. :(

"Wheres that confounded bridge!?"

...worth having the thread for :D

The Rain Song for me, BUT I love the live versions of No Quarter more than the studio version.

Same here. I love TRS the most in the studio album but in the live versions I love NQ the most :)

For me...this may be the toughest album to pick a favorite from. I went with "The Rain Song." I love the lyrics and the overall musical attitude. The closing guitar is amazing and always stops me dead in my tracks.

Same here. Easily the toughest album to pick one. The guitar arrangement is so brilliant, had to go with Rain Song. It's one of Robert's best lyrics as well.

Sure was a hard one to pick because all the songs stand out on their own.

I went for TRS just in front of NQ.

IMHO their most diverse album in terms of musical styles, the only thing missing was a blues song and perhaps a pure acoustic piece.

I've always thought of Physical Graffiti as an extension of Houses Of The Holy.

As we all know the song HOTH appears on PG, so in effect it could be considered a companion album.

I'm almost certain Walters Walk from Coda was recorded during the Stargroves HOTH sessions too.