Just a Guitar and Me...

MoiraPendragon

Hi, I am starting a new thread on guitars. Im just starting out in playing. Would love to learn what other musicians have to teach, and make a few new friends as I start this journy. If you have advice, tab you want to share... info on new guitars and the latest equipment, lets talk! Hopefully this will go over well. Cheers..Jimmy_Page_Les_Paul_Custom_Signed_20_1.j

Hi, Moira! :wave:

I'm just starting out on guitar, as well. I started a thread a little while ago seeking advice about playing (Led Zeppelin songs, in particular). I'm sure that you'll get plenty of advice in this thread, but thought I'd also link to this one for you (I received some really great ideas):

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/19490-questions-for-guitarists/

Best of luck, and I'd be happy to swap guitar stories any time. :)

I would love that! I looked through the threads and didnt find anything!!! Thanks for the link! Really appriciate it.

I need new strings and stuff for the "Old Girl" and she needs some repair work, but she's a good girl. what kind do you have?

Hi Moira, I've been a long time player, way back to the days of when ya had to drop the needle onto vinyl, and then pick it up quick and try to play what was heard. And then do that over and over again lol......

Now with the internet, and youtube in particular, there are so many less tedious ways to learn a few things from other players, guitar sites, on line guitar magazines, etc.I would still recommend that you find an actual human to play with and learn from.

Also, once you learn the basic chords and start strumming and/or finger picking, get yourself a little metronome to work on your time/tempo. There are lots of people who can play but suffer from bad timing especially when they have been learning on their own and not playing with other musicians. Playing in time in almost every/any musical situation is vital.

ok enough blabbing...good luck to you and if you ever have a question about guitars etc, i would gladly try to help you out.....cheers Rich

Hi Moira, I've been a long time player, way back to the days of when ya had to drop the needle onto vinyl, and then pick it up quick and try to play what was heard. And then do that over and over again lol......

Now with the internet, and youtube in particular, there are so many less tedious ways to learn a few things from other players, guitar sites, on line guitar magazines, etc.I would still recommend that you find an actual human to play with and learn from.

Also, once you learn the basic chords and start strumming and/or finger picking, get yourself a little metronome to work on your time/tempo. There are lots of people who can play but suffer from bad timing especially when they have been learning on their own and not playing with other musicians. Playing in time in almost every/any musical situation is vital.

ok enough blabbing...good luck to you and if you ever have a question about guitars etc, i would gladly try to help you out.....cheers Rich

Oh thanks. I Actually thought about a metronome. I live in a house full of musicians that dont seem to play anymore because they ...well they just dont, so I am sure I will find one SOMEWHERE In the house as my mother in law plays piano. I have started in the church talking to the band and we seem to be getting more of a professional set up there. Been in the sound booth and just watching the band play I have been learning a lot. From it, so yeah... taking your advice already! THANKS

What I like to do is listen to several seasoned musicians talk about this stuff too. I have learned a lot on how to approach playing a little more comfortably without getting so nervous. Being a profectionist, I dont like mistakes. They make me nervous, but I know mistakes will be made and with this... I think Im ok with that.

Oh thanks. I Actually thought about a metronome. I live in a house full of musicians that dont seem to play anymore because they ...well they just dont, so I am sure I will find one SOMEWHERE In the house as my mother in law plays piano. I have started in the church talking to the band and we seem to be getting more of a professional set up there. Been in the sound booth and just watching the band play I have been learning a lot. From it, so yeah... taking your advice already! THANKS

What I like to do is listen to several seasoned musicians talk about this stuff too. I have learned a lot on how to approach playing a little more comfortably without getting so nervous. Being a profectionist, I dont like mistakes. They make me nervous, but I know mistakes will be made and with this... I think Im ok with that.

Sounds good, but don't worry about mistakes. Everbody makes them; always have and always will. It's not the end of the world, especially when playing live. Beethoven even said mistakes are inevitable, but, playing without passion is inexcusible.......

if you have a smart phone or blackberry etc, you may be able to get a metronome type app.....catch you later MP

back in the day couldnt you get the 45 , and play it at 33 and tune accordingly?

Sounds good, but don't worry about mistakes. Everbody makes them; always have and always will. It's not the end of the world, especially when playing live. Beethoven even said mistakes are inevitable, but, playing without passion is inexcusible.......

if you have a smart phone or blackberry etc, you may be able to get a metronome type app.....catch you later MP

HAHA ME? with a smart phone?! HAHAHA No I dont have one. I have a cheap pre pay thing, I hate spending money as it is. I guess Im a bit of a "led" wallet! I could get something though Im sure. I used to have a smart phone but I didnt see paying so much money just to play angry birds or to have a flashlight.

HAHA ME? with a smart phone?! HAHAHA No I dont have one. I have a cheap pre pay thing, I hate spending money as it is. I guess Im a bit of a "led" wallet! I could get something though Im sure. I used to have a smart phone but I didnt see paying so much money just to play angry birds or to have a flashlight.

yeah, I hear you...no phone for me either.....well I am pretty sure there is probably one on line somewhere you can get access to....same with on line guitar tuners....

yeah, I hear you...no phone for me either.....well I am pretty sure there is probably one on line somewhere you can get access to....same with on line guitar tuners....

You know I thought about that. Maybe Amazon would have one. I will have to check. Now to get strings and a screw! HAHA My guitar looks beat up as is.. Im missing a screw and really need it.... cant string it properly without it.

You know I thought about that. Maybe Amazon would have one. I will have to check. Now to get strings and a screw! HAHA My guitar looks beat up as is.. Im missing a screw and really need it.... cant string it properly without it.

lol.....good luck with the screw. I will be rooting for ya.....as for the on-line metronome, sorry Iimeant something ike this

catch ya later

Ohhh cool! thanks. yeah the bridge was popped up on the back end with the strings. I had to take them out. I was pretty well bummed. I checked the case and its not in there. No telling where it went. So Im just going to call around and see if I can get it fixed.

Looking at what strings to use... brands or whatever... also need to get my hands on a good cheap tuner.

I just got a vinyl today. Electronic Music. I love looking at old records and stuff. I have a couple Zeppelin on vinyl, get them when I can. Best way, I think, to listen to them. Usually on days like I have had today, but I dont feel like getting the turn table out.... I have had a very stressful weekend. It wasnt that long ago. Well, to me it seems that way. I was born in the wrong era.

• 2 weeks later...

i had to reply to this topic 'caus a guitar and me depict me perfectly ! i've learned with my brothers when i was a teenager and later with "the beatles complete" . i play acoustic guitar and i try to play some chords of led zeppelin songs. i've found some on internet but i'm sure i'll find good ones here !

• 5 weeks later...

Hey guys, and gals,

Got the bridge fixed. Actually got it replaced. The screws were out and the back of the bridge was messed up. Miss. Guitar, I play electric. well, Im learning on an electric, I dont know if there is much difference in the acoustic and electric. I have a Fender Strat. Its a Korean made. My dad had gotten her when I was 12 and passed onto me. I never learned but because of stress and everything else, I needed an outlet and she called to me. So now, its just me and "the old girl".

Anyway, I have a couple books I picked up, but I wanted to know as a beginner what is the best method to learning. As far as practice goes? Like so many minutes of just playing scales and then after that do chord progressions for half an hour or whatever? Im trying to do this so I get the most out of practicing. I dont want to be a (as a dancer would put it) "lopsided" player. Any advice to a brand new player would be great!

Thanks

Hey guys, and gals,

Got the bridge fixed. Actually got it replaced. The screws were out and the back of the bridge was messed up. Miss. Guitar, I play electric. well, Im learning on an electric, I dont know if there is much difference in the acoustic and electric. I have a Fender Strat. Its a Korean made. My dad had gotten her when I was 12 and passed onto me. I never learned but because of stress and everything else, I needed an outlet and she called to me. So now, its just me and "the old girl".

Anyway, I have a couple books I picked up, but I wanted to know as a beginner what is the best method to learning. As far as practice goes? Like so many minutes of just playing scales and then after that do chord progressions for half an hour or whatever? Im trying to do this so I get the most out of practicing. I dont want to be a (as a dancer would put it) "lopsided" player. Any advice to a brand new player would be great!

Thanks

MP...here are a couple of bits of advice I can offer....

1)if you have not done so already, practice until the tips of your fingers start to hurt. Then stop until the next day. This will help to build up the callus on your finger tips that will make playing that much more enjoyable.

2) Scales are great. Keep playing those to strengthen and learn the positions along the neck.

3) As far as chords/strumming, sing with yourself when you play as much as possible. Even if you don;t sing, hum at least while you play chords to a song of your choice. This will help you to develop a sense of "time"

4) Play with as many other guitar players as you possibly can. You will learn so much from face to face playing. If this is a tough one, check out some of the youtube lessons etc.

5) Listen to all kinds of guitar music. Especially the various strumming patterns...ie. blues, country, reggae, rock, folk...

6) Try to learn songs now that you are capable of as a beginner and that you really like. It will be more enjoyable. "The Clap" by Steve Howe/Yes can wait....."The River"/Springsteen is a good one to start off with because of the various chords that are used in the song and it is relatively easy to play even slower than it is...just a suggestion...there are a ton of tunes out there.....

ciao Fishy

MP...here are a couple of bits of advice I can offer....

1)if you have not done so already, practice until the tips of your fingers start to hurt. Then stop until the next day. This will help to build up the callus on your finger tips that will make playing that much more enjoyable.

2) Scales are great. Keep playing those to strengthen and learn the positions along the neck.

3) As far as chords/strumming, sing with yourself when you play as much as possible. Even if you don;t sing, hum at least while you play chords to a song of your choice. This will help you to develop a sense of "time"

4) Play with as many other guitar players as you possibly can. You will learn so much from face to face playing. If this is a tough one, check out some of the youtube lessons etc.

5) Listen to all kinds of guitar music. Especially the various strumming patterns...ie. blues, country, reggae, rock, folk...

6) Try to learn songs now that you are capable of as a beginner and that you really like. It will be more enjoyable. "The Clap" by Steve Howe/Yes can wait....."The River"/Springsteen is a good one to start off with because of the various chords that are used in the song and it is relatively easy to play even slower than it is...just a suggestion...there are a ton of tunes out there.....

ciao Fishy

Thanks! I will check out some stuff on youtube as I dont get away from the house that much. And you gave me some other ideas too! Thanks so much Fish! :yourock: Im really enjoying this!

MP

Thanks! I will check out some stuff on youtube as I dont get away from the house that much. And you gave me some other ideas too! Thanks so much Fish! :yourock: Im really enjoying this!

MP

no problem,,,I love seeing/hearing people take up the guitar...send me any questions you have and I will try to steer you in the right direction...see ya

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Not a beginner, have been playing since I was 14. (Ok, ok, I did have periods, when I didn't play as much as I should have......).

Have been happily playing for a quite a while again now.

Here is a very good tip, for both beginners and more experienced players:

www.justinguitar.com. This is the site of Justin Sandercoe, a briitish guitarist (his band is called "We came as strangers) and he offers both books/dvd's (you need the purchase them) as well

as free online guitar lessons. There are lessons on different levels and about different topics. A very usefull site, I use it quite often.

Maaike

• 2 months later...

Archived