My Lyrics & Melodies For Jimmy Page’s Instrumentals “Embryos 1, 2 & 3”

Here is a link (below) to demos of my melodies & lyrics for various unfinished Jimmy Page instrumentals:

First, Jimmy's “Embryo” instrumentals from the “It Might Get Loud” movie & extras. “Embryo 1” is the one called “Untitled” (to be titled later...), with an original lyric and melody by me. “Embryo 2” (a.k.a “Domino” from Jimmy’s performance at NetAid in 1999) is the one entitled Fhear a’ Bhata - here I adapted a traditional lyric and reworked the melody to fit Jimmy’s instrumental - there is a version of the the original by Sandy Denny - though I learned the song from Gordon Bok, Ed Trickett, and Ann Mayo Muir. “Embryo 3” is the one titled “Thrown Down...” - this is my original lyric and melody.

The instrumentals were downloaded from YouTube and JimmyPage.com, and are, of course, Jimmy’s work and NOT mine.

My newest demo is of my original lyrics & melody for Jimmy Page's "Summer's Day" acoustic instrumental, re-titled here in my version as "Summer's Day (Eclipse)" .

Once again, I have dubbed my vocals over Jimmy's instrumental, here downloaded from JimmyPage.com...

ONLY THE VOCALS ARE MINE - THE GUITAR IS JIMMY'S (OF COURSE !).

Here is the link: Kathleen Mary Parker Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos

• 3 months later...

Now Available - (sorry for the delay... a month-long cold kept me from recording for a while...) - My Demo of My Melody & Lyrics For Jimmy Page's The One That Got Away (The Theme From JimmyPage.com)...

*Important Disclaimer* - This demo is my Melody & Lyrics (incomplete (?) - the original instrumental may be, too... ) dubbed over the Jimmy Page guitar instrumental “The One That Got Away”. The instrumental part (downloaded from the Official Jimmy Page Site, jimmypage.com) is used on this recording for demonstration purposes ONLY. This demo is NOT an official Jimmy Page work.

Kathleen Mary Parker Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos

Dude....really, really? Is this a serious thing, or a piss take...because it's demonstrably awful. I'm no arbiter of taste but I don't see that anyone is going to enjoy that track. Your vocals are too high in the mix and it sounds like you recorded them on a 2 dollar microphone (what equipment are you using?)

Some people are born with a great singing voice; whereas others have to work on it. You would fall into the latter camp (as do I) the first step is realising that your voice isn't very good (I never had that problem as I always thought my voice sounded awful) if you do that then you can work on making it better. Or is someone giving you good feedback?

It's great that you are expressing yourself through music and you are entitled to do that, but if you post in a public forum then I am entitled to my opinion (of which you won't like) this is not a personal attack or intended to be hurtful or discouraging; just honest feedback.

I realize that the recording quality is poor - producing is not my forte I'm afraid...

They are only intended to be demos, though...

Since you asked, the feedback I'm getting at home is that my songs are "weird", whatever that means...

However, there is one person on ReverbNation who says he likes my "unique voice"...

Edited because I'm a very fussy writer ! :)

It feels like you're going for like an interpretive world music, free form vibe. Maybe in your head it sounds like this:

But at the moment, it's closer to this:

I.e bad weird

I'm sure there are a lot of people who think they sound like Jimmy Page, but in actuality sound closer to Joe Shit the Rag Man who found a guitar at the dump and after a week decided to share their genius with the world.

Anyway, at least reswati is a fan, I guess that's something :lol:

That person was me............it was meant to be sarcastic.

Then why the heck did you listen to my songs FIVE times ! Are you a masochist ?! (MR. TIME BOMB from OYSTER BAY, NY ! - And his name is really Louis, people ! - oh, did I blow your cover ?!... and - are you also CIRCUS LIBERTY MUSIC that told me "Thrown Down" is a really cool song.", too ?! And THE LOST SHALL FOLLOW (who claim to be from my local area) who told me "Amazing work"...?! ( I did think THE TIME BOMB looked familiar... did you really come up with all those disguises just to try to fool me ? I think you must be obsessed...and creepy ! ))

No need to pile on him.

Sorry to say but you absolutely need to take singing lessons.

Ok, I'll see what I can do to improve the singing (I'm really serious about my songs ) ... but look at my ReverbNation page at the comments section and tell me that isn't really weird (and disturbing).

Then why the heck did you listen to my songs FIVE times ! Are you a masochist ?! (MR. TIME BOMB from OYSTER BAY, NY ! - And his name is really Louis, people ! - oh, did I blow your cover ?!... and - are you also CIRCUS LIBERTY MUSIC that told me "Thrown Down" is a really cool song.", too ?! And THE LOST SHALL FOLLOW (who claim to be from my local area) who told me "Amazing work"...?! ( I did think THE TIME BOMB looked familiar... did you really come up with all those disguises just to try to fool me ? I think you must be obsessed...and creepy ! ))

How do we know MR.TIME BOMB and THE LOST SHALL FOLLOW even listened? they look like people who just want you to add them, so they'll say anything. Like people who send me emails saying "we think your videos are amazing, you should go to this website blah, blah" Glorified spammers. Whereas I'm trying to help, and I've actually listened to your music more than once.

Sorry to say but you absolutely need to take singing lessons.

Not sure about that. She doesn't want to be Mariah Carey. It's about making what you have work for you; in rock people don't need technically perfect voices. I happen to like unconventional vocals, for example: Liz Phair and Beth Orton both have weak vocals but they make it work for them. There are many artists like that where it is borderline between being awful, yet somehow managing to have a quirky charm that makes you forgive the imperfections.

I think the OP is trying to do too much with her vocals; she needs to reign it in a little because she clearly doesn't have technical skills or chops at this moment. But hey, I'm no MR. TIME BOMB or THE LOST SHALL FOLLOW - I'm sure they listened to her songs a few times and made a considered judgment - we should all defer to their expert opinion.

How do we know MR.TIME BOMB and THE LOST SHALL FOLLOW even listened? they look like people who just want you to add them, so they'll say anything. Like people who send me emails saying "we think your videos are amazing, you should go to this website blah, blah" Glorified spammers. Whereas I'm trying to help, and I've actually listened to your music more than once.

Not sure about that. She doesn't want to be Mariah Carey. It's about making what you have work for you; in rock people don't need technically perfect voices. I happen to like unconventional vocals, for example: Liz Phair and Beth Orton both have weak vocals but they make it work for them. There are many artists like that where it is borderline between being awful, yet somehow managing to have a quirky charm that makes you forgive the imperfections.

I think the OP is trying to do too much with her vocals; she needs to reign it in a little because she clearly doesn't have technical skills or chops at this moment. But hey, I'm no MR. TIME BOMB or THE LOST SHALL FOLLOW - I'm sure they listened to her songs a few times and made a considered judgment - we should all defer to their expert opinion.

I only posted comments from people who did listen...sometimes it is possible on ReverbNation to tell, if they have accounts there themselves. I admit it is possible they are all being sarcastic like Reswati - but it is hard to tell in print... (and I think whether you have posted people's comments affects your chart rank, too...the site expects you to post the good ones...).

I think for now I'll keep practicing, and look up some of the singing hints I know are on YouTube... I've been thinking of doing that recently anyway, because I do tire faster than I like...I'd go on singing all day if I could...

Thank you very much for listening - no sarcasm intended ! :)

I only posted comments from people who did listen...sometimes it is possible on ReverbNation to tell, if they have accounts there themselves. I admit it is possible they are all being sarcastic like Reswati - but it is hard to tell in print... (and I think whether you have posted people's comments affects your chart rank, too...the site expects you to post the good ones...).

I think for now I'll keep practicing, and look up some of the singing hints I know are on YouTube... I've been thinking of doing that recently anyway, because I do tire faster than I like...I'd go on all day if I could...

Thank you very much for listening - no sarcasm intended ! :)

As long as you enjoy it; I guess that is the main thing. I write my own stuff, and ultimately I do it to please myself. People whose opinion I respect say they like certain songs of mine, too - which is a bonus. Whenever you've posted here you seem to get negative feedback and yet you continue to post. So I don't really know what you are getting out of this process? It's very hard to critique one's own work and be objective about it. Sometimes I feel my work is rubbish and then there I times when I think it's amazing and it has the potential to be as good as anything I have ever heard in my life. Confidence or the vain delusion of self? There has to be a balance between how you feel about your work and how it is received. However, you should do what you feel is right, not because of what others say or think.

Since when knowledge and technique has ever impeded anyone?

Unless you value mediocrity above talent (sorry Mrs. Parker, this is not aimed at you).

You know, I went back and checked with the closest thing that was suggested on here to what I did have in mind - a Fiona Apple song suggested by the poster "The Chase" in this thread:

Could Page work with a female singer ? - Page 3 - Pre / Post-Zeppelin Forum - Led Zeppelin Official Forum

and I realized that my voice must have jumped higher than I originally intended - probably out of nerves - I wondered where all the details I originally had in mind had gone...!

Thanks, guys ! I will definitely try again, now !

(Pagesbow, your suggestion was right as to the scales I'm into (sort of Celtic, sort of modern classical), but I prefer a more hollow, unschooled tone - I cut my songwriting teeth on Suzanne Vega, actually... :) )

Now, does anyone have suggestions for studio equipment & techniques to get the sound I'm after ? I'm starting with an Apple MacBook Pro...

Do you actually listen to the songs after you've recorded them or just upload them straight to the site?

I must admit I've been a bit shy about it - but I will try to have more discipline in the future - and, I hope, better takes to start with, now that I have learned that I must watch my pitch when I'm nervous...

"Now, does anyone have suggestions for studio equipment & techniques to get the sound I'm after ? I'm starting with an Apple MacBook Pro..."

A cat, a chainsaw and a 2 liter bottle of honey flavored Jim Beam.

Reswati, what did I tell you about your being weird, insane and no help at all ? :rolleyes:

Reswati, what did I tell you about your being weird, insane and no help at all ? :rolleyes:

Oh, I took it as a compliment,

I actually love myself too!

But to be of help:

record the cat as an instrument while gently squeezing it as a counterpart to your brilliant vocalisms.

Use the chainsaw in case the computer does not work (do not torture the cat with the chainsaw, that's really really bad)

Give the 2 liter bottle to the neighbors to compensate for the headaches.

KMP, why don't you upload your singing and interpretation of Jimmy's music to You/Tube? I'd like to hear it. But as soon as I saw you were associating with ReverbNation, no way. That site has had Malware and other Virus issues and I've already had enough of those to last a lifetime. Not worth the chance. Please consider using You/Tube. I'm sure there are hackers that can mess with it too, but it 's a h*ll of a sight safer than ReverbNation.

Regardless, I give you credit for having the courage to compose/sing and ask for critiques. I could never do it (my voice is lousy), but how do you know if you don't try? Good Luck. :) Missy

Ok, I'll see what I can do to improve the singing (I'm really serious about my songs ) ... but look at my ReverbNation page at the comments section and tell me that isn't really weird (and disturbing).

Girl, i'm sorry you can't sing....my ears are still crying. Go and read a book or something.

You know, I went back and checked with the closest thing that was suggested on here to what I did have in mind - a Fiona Apple song suggested by the poster "The Chase" in this thread:

Could Page work with a female singer ? - Page 3 - Pre / Post-Zeppelin Forum - Led Zeppelin Official Forum

and I realized that my voice must have jumped higher than I originally intended - probably out of nerves - I wondered where all the details I originally had in mind had gone...!

Thanks, guys ! I will definitely try again, now !

(Pagesbow, your suggestion was right as to the scales I'm into (sort of Celtic, sort of modern classical), but I prefer a more hollow, unschooled tone - I cut my songwriting teeth on Suzanne Vega, actually... :) )

Now, does anyone have suggestions for studio equipment & techniques to get the sound I'm after ? I'm starting with an Apple MacBook Pro...

Having money helps. If you don't have any of that you are shit out of luck and I know nothing about Apple products. All I know is that having a decent XLR microphone, would help. (Shure are one of the best brands but you could find cheaper versions that would be a vast improvement) There is a freeware program called "Audacity" and you can do a lot of stuff in that like add reverb.

"Now, does anyone have suggestions for studio equipment & techniques to get the sound I'm after ? I'm starting with an Apple MacBook Pro..."

A cat, a chainsaw and a 2 liter bottle of honey flavored Jim Beam.

Your obfuscatory comments make it hard to ascertain whether you like her music or not. It's really hard to tell.

I must admit I've been a bit shy about it - but I will try to have more discipline in the future - and, I hope, better takes to start with, now that I have learned that I must watch my pitch when I'm nervous...

I find it hard to believe you can be nervous if you are just singing these songs on your own in a room somewhere - what is there to be nervous about?

Archived