40 Years Old: Houses of the Holy

pujols05

It was 40 years ago today....perhaps Zeppelin's most overlooked album, for me Houses of the Holy has a laid-back, confident, groovy feel that has only gotten better with age. Indispensable in every way.

What is your favorite track on the album? I might just have to go with "The Rain Song", but it's a hard choice.

so hard to pick one...they are all so different and all so good ..................(except for D'yer'Maker...sorry, it;s one of the songs by anybody that i can't listen too)

However, if it is one you are asking of me to list as my fav it would be TSRTS.

It was the first LZ album I bought within a few days of it's release,[the others were out yonks before I bought them) just a few weeks before my 16th birthday. Also it was the first to be released with the Orange and Green label as opposed to the Plum and Purple label.

Just can't get to like TSRTS somehow, no matter how much I try.

I much prefer live versions of TSRTS (actually, that's true for just about every Zepp song for me!), but I don't dislike the studio version.

No Quarter, closely followed by The Ocean and The Rain Song. Dancing Days is great too.

For me it is one of those albums that grows on you, also to me it had a different feel/sound to the previous albums.

No Quarter, closely followed by The Ocean and The Rain Song. Dancing Days is great too.

Wow..stairway to heaven in that blows me away

It's amazing how timeless and amazing their music can sound after 40 years. "Houses of the Holy" is my second favorite Zeppelin album after "Physical Graffiti." HOTH is such a diverse and well layed out album. Always loved it. Learned to love it even more over the last couple years. I am sure the love for it will keep growing too.

My favorite song from this wonderful album would have to be "The Rain Song."

Studio version fav song: Rain Song

Live version fav song: throw a dart because all of these songs were great live, whether played in their entirety or not. No Qaurter would have to be the song I most look forward to them playing in the set lists from '73-'79.

I never liked the production of HoH, but I always remember seeing the cover and title as a little kid and going "Whoa....". Very mystical.

Archived