40 Years Old: Houses of the Holy

pujols05

While posting on the polls section of this forum under "Zeps happiest song",I suddenly realized that Houses Of The Holy is happy album except The Rain Song, which is melancholy but uplifting,and No Quarter,which is gloomy and eerie(the visuals in TSRTS movie certainly helped!).As mentioned before the production of the album is bright,too bright in some places,but this adds to the optimistic,sunny feel to the album except No Quarter.Don't get me wrong No Quarter is probably the best song on the album,but I have just realized after all these years(I've had the album since 76) that it seems more out of place than that confounded Crunge song.Still a great album despite its faults and i can't wait for the new deluxe set which I will buy before zep 4.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

For the riff - The Ocean  That opening is just so spot on.

Best overall track - Over the Hills.  It has everything.

Close second would be TSRTS except for the horrible effect on the vocals.  Plant sounds so much better in the 1973 soundtrack version.  If the vocals were strong o the album it would be a tie for me between Over the Hills and TSRTS

I really like all the live versions of NQ but the vocals are way too processed on the album and I don't like the keyboard sounds on the album anywhere near as much as I like all the various live keyboard sounds 1973-1977

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, sam_webmaster said:

Eddie Kramer's guide to Led Zeppelin's Houses Of The Holy

by Mick Wall

http://teamrock.com/feature/2017-03-28/eddie-kramers-guide-to-led-zeppelins-houses-of-the-holy

What a brilliant read. If only there was a sit down interview session with all remaining souls that were present around the studio and tours that could tell us all this great stuff in a "Classic Albums" type of format. Cameron Crowe - he should make my idea happen damn it!!!!

In fact, Sam, feel free to take my idea and call Jimmy and Cameron and discuss over coffee. :thanku:

19 hours ago, Mook said:

Really enjoyed that, thanks.

I reckon Eddie would be good company over a pint or 10.

Indeed. I thought the Classic Albums series was brilliant and while it's long gone...Eddie Kramer along with the Jones, Page and Plant would be able to do a really worthwhile documentary. They need to get cracking though. Time marches on. 

Archived