THE METAL THREAD!

If I was to narrow my list down to my five favorite metal bands. Considering longevity, originality, diversity, and re-playability. It would probably be...

1. Ulver

genre's covered: Black Metal,Pagan Folk, Ambient,Electronica/Trip-hop,Prog-Rock, Chamber/Classical

2. Opeth

genre's covered: Death Metal, Folk, Prog Rock

3. Devin Townsend (I'm counting all of his many side-projects and metal band incarnations)

genre's covered: Prog Metal, Ambient, Electronica, Death metal, Speed Metal, Jazz-Metal,Punk

4. Between the Buried and Me

genre's covered: Grindcore, Speed Metal, Death Metal, Pop Metal, Emo(ish), Punk

5. Fantomas - Fantomas defys all genres

honourable mention: Meshuggah (the only reason they didn't make the list is that they aren't very diverse, but they have made some of the best metal records I have ever heard) *cough*Chaosphere*chough*

Edited by Kith Kannan

Now are we talking about heavy metal or hair metal? big diffrence. Poison is hair metal, Metallica is heavy metal. Tesla is hair metal, Pantera is heavy metal. Both are great genres of music but completely diffrent monsters. :beer:

Actually, Metallica is thrash metal. (their albums up to the black album anyways) and Pantera is Groove-Thrash.

I love death metal, a bit of black metal, tons of thrash metal and lots of grind, gore and goregrind and, of course, most old school heavy metal.

Among my favorite bands are;

Morbid Angel, Carcass, Napalm Death, Death, Deicide, Bathory, Atheist, Kreator, Exodus, Pungent Stench, Prong, Voivod, Nocturnus, Entombed, King Diamond (his 2008 USA tour has been cancelled and that hurts me way more than it probably should).

Some other bands I either just now got around to loving or are newer: Mekong Delta, Orange Goblin, Anaal Nathrakh, Ackercocke, Autopsy, Wormed, Insect Warfare, Gorerotted, Death Breath, Necrophagist, Immortal (and Abbath's side project I), Dying Fetus, Nailshitter, Meshuggah, Aborted, Pig Destroyer, Devin Townsend (The Ziltoid album kills me - I don't know why it took me so long to stumble across Devy), Death By Dawn, Lock Up, and tons more...

I like that y'all started a metal thread because when I'm not jamming to Led Zep, this is what I do. Zep was my first and favorite band but they led me to all these other kinds of music.

Edited by LeeMcC

^^^^^

Damnit I forgot about Death on my list. Shit, how could I?

_the sound of perserverance_ is the most well produced and possibly heaviest metal album recorded to date.

Devin's Ziltoid album has grown on me a little, but for the most part I consider it one of his weakest releases. It would have been exponentinally better if he had used Gene Hoglan instead of programmed drums. As far as Devin's works go I'd say _Infinity_ is his best prog-metal record and _City_ (under the name Strapping Young Lad) is his best speed metal/industrial record.

^^^^^

Damnit I forgot about Death on my list. Shit, how could I?

_the sound of perserverance_ is the most well produced and possibly heaviest metal album recorded to date.

Devin's Ziltoid album has grown on me a little, but for the most part I consider it one of his weakest releases. It would have been exponentinally better if he had used Gene Hoglan instead of programmed drums. As far as Devin's works go I'd say _Infinity_ is his best prog-metal record and _City_ (under the name Strapping Young Lad) is his best speed metal/industrial record.

I am slowly getting into Devin's older solo stuff. Ziltoid has the funny (it's funny to me anyway) and it was the first solo DT I heard so I think I have a whole lotta awesome to discover yet.

I think Chuck will forgive you since you did eventually remember (lol). I think I left out Pestilence and Terrorizer too - I hope Jesse will forgive me...

• 1 month later...

hmm...metal? well i have loved Metallica, Iron Maiden, AC/DC since i was 6 can u believe it :P so i love these bands. recently i have got to know Children Of Bodom and i like 'em for their melodic and interesting music and for lyrics as well - the texts are wonderful. and Alexi Laiho - the frontman - is quite handsome :rolleyes:

:hysterical: I'm one of those too! :D

I'm not into metal so much but I do like AC/DC, Metallica, Black Sabbath and kind of Iron Maiden too. And Steve Vai if that counts.

Well Steve has played with some of Metals Hierarchy in Dave lee Roth and Whitesnake !!

The following Bands are among my favorite metal Bands

they're listed in random order

Slipknot

Korn

FearFactory

Pantera

King Diamond

Mercyful Fate

Megadeth

Rammstein

Ministry

Kyuss

Morbid Angel

Tool

Flotsam and Jetsam

Carcass

Death

Prong

White Zombie

Slayer ( old )

Sepultura ( old )

Metallica ( old )

Type O' Negative ( old )

Ahh, well, they are both metal, and the thread title doesn't state what kind of metal. Me, personally, I prefer hair metal (Motley Crue rule), but yeah, I love heavy metal (I'm getting more and more into it. I listen to it loud on the bus... and now I have the title 'The Wierd Girl Who Listens To Hard Rock' and they ask me if it hurts my ears. And I laugh :lol:)

Crue rocks! They were my favorite for a long time, many many moons ago. BTW your av is great!

Metallica (cant wait for their new album with Robert Trujillo)

Black Sabbath

Iron Maiden

Deep Purple (see em live, they got heavier since they've aged!)

Anthrax is pretty good

AC/DC if you count them

Yngwie Malmsteen's work

Alice in Chains to an extent

for the most part, I'm not a fan of modern metal, especially not Death Metal or Black Metal..I simply don't consdier it true music and I'm sure some of you will get upset by that. That's fine, it's your right to like it and mine not to. More power to you.

But as I said, None of my "Metal" bands are really modern save Metallica, Anthrax, and Alice In Chains

Edited by wanna be drummer

for the most part, I'm not a fan of modern metal, especially not Death Metal or Black Metal..I simply don't consdier it true music and I'm sure some of you will get upset by that. That's fine, it's your right to like it and mine not to. More power to you.

Im think you're totally right. Most death/blackmetal just get me tired, because I think just tuneless noise and someone barking intelligible satanic crap over it is just fucking boring and cliched. 'We are fast and loud and kick ass!!!', Yeah, right.... :rolleyes:

I think metal kicks ass when something gets 'done' with it, be it played very tight and heavy, or bringing in progressive elements, because I think those elements make it earcandy, sometimes even for the curious.

I agree in that singers can completely ruin a band.

I can't stand the vocalists for Dream Theatre, Cradle Of Filth, Axl Rose And His Guns and indeed Megadeth.

I simply don't understand why they ever thought 'Damn, this sounds fucking cool, man!'

I mean... damn! :blink:

Agreed, the singer from Dream Theater is pretty terrible. I much prefer Liquid Tension Experiment. (Mike Portnoy, John Petrucci, Derek Sherrinian (sp) and the bassist from King Crimson.) It's the Dream Theater style of music except its just instrumental, if you haven't already you should check them out.

• 2 months later...

'Get Thrashed: The Story Of Thrash Metal' DVD Release Pushed Back To August

"Get Thrashed: The Story of Thrash Metal" — the much-anticipated documentary profiling the thrash metal scene of the early Eighties and its impact on the music scene — has had its projected DVD release date pushed back to August from the previously announced May.

"Get Thrashed: The Story of Thrash Metal" traces the rise, fall and impact of thrash metal, an extreme style of heavy metal popularized in the early 1980s by bands like METALLICA, MEGADETH, SLAYER, ANTHRAX, SUICIDAL TENDENCIES and others. It is the story of the heaviest, hardest music of the '80s and early '90s as told by the bands that lived it, the fans and bands that grew up on it and by the artists that carry the "thrash metal" flag today. The documentary throws new light on an overlooked, yet incredible music scene and how it went from a simple rumbling in the underground to a loud, obnoxious and constant roar in the (almost) mainstream. The documentary is produced by Saigon1515 Productions in association with Kundrat Productions.

"Get Thrashed" was directed by Ernst and the documentary's associate producer is Rat Skates, founder and former drummer of OVERKILL.