Stairway to heaven 45 record?

snow4me

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, yet have been a Zep fan since the mid 70's when I was 10 years old.

About 15 years ago I acquired this 45 record of with Stairway to Heaven on side A and Whole Lotta Love on side B for my 1959 Wurlitzer jukebox. At the time I purchased it the seller indicated it was a rare 45 and I can't recall exactly what I paid for it...

Fast forward to present...I sold my juke last week and removed only this record due to my curiousity and love of the band.

Does anyone know if indeed this is a rare 45 record and if so what it may be worth today? I couldn't find any on Ebay and a google search turned up a youtube video someone recorded of this same record but with the small center hole playing. The posters caption indicated it was a rare 45 as well.

post-25111-0-44041200-1364739185_thumb.j

I'm new here......

and sure others with much more knowledge than me....

yet I remember hearing only very few 45's with SWTH were made and only for Radio play.........

if I remember....

Sounds like you have something VERY VERY Rare.

Again... I'm not an expert!

It is a promo from 1990. The single has been counterfeited a lot, so I do not know if yours is an original or a fake.

For some reason the middle hole of your copy has been enlarged, the thing used to look like the one in the link.

http://www.45cat.com/record/lz3

There was another thread about the same item, it used to come with a letter from the record company.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?/topic/19737-rare-stairway-to-heaven-promo-single/

That is correct it barely fit all on side 1. It was a pain in the ass to set my 1959 Wurlitzer needle to land on the record without it missing part of the first guitar riff due to the very small uncut edge on the vinyl.

Side 2 is on side 2.

I don't know if this is a fake or not however the person I bought it from was living in the U.K.

If it is an original then what I gather from the input from Virgil Kane on a previous thread it would then be only 1 of 150 ever produced right?

Any guesses on what it might be worth to a collector?

How can you tell the fakes from the originals?

I actually bought it off Ebay back in the mid 90's when one of my coworkers turned me onto the then fledgling website.

As for the center being enlarged I recall the seller had that done to allow them to play it in a jukebox as well. If it is indeed one of 150 then I would guess that the fact it was modified may lower it's value a bit.

I am still curious to know what these have sold for in the past because there is very little info available online and I have never seen one pop up on Ebay again.

oh wow,that is so neat,we must be about the same age

I was born in Chicago in 1966. I have a close friend who I went to grade school through H.S. with who was the ultimate Zep fan. He was always doodling the ZOSO artwork on his folders and notebook covers at school.

He actually had tickets to the concert that got cancelled when John Bonham passed. I remember how sad he was that morning on the school bus as all Zep fans were...

• 3 years later...

Ok I know I am years late to this post but if you still have this 45, immediately take it to a framing shop and have it framed.  I finally found one in eBay this week and was able to negotiate with the buyer from $126 down to $69.  Its EXTREMELY rare and here's why;  LZ never relaeased singles early on.  They believed in album sales.  If the listener was going to buy their music, they had to buy the entire work (album) not just a piece (single).  So the only 45s of STH were made exclusively for jukeboxes.  

I received mine in the mail today and didn't bother to even open it.  I immediately took it to Michael's to have it framed.  Enjoy your piece of collectible rock and roll history!

On 4/1/2013 at 9:09 AM, snow4me said:

I was born in Chicago in 1966. I have a close friend who I went to grade school through H.S. with who was the ultimate Zep fan. He was always doodling the ZOSO artwork on his folders and notebook covers at school.

He actually had tickets to the concert that got cancelled when John Bonham passed. I remember how sad he was that morning on the school bus as all Zep fans were...

Sounds like me, but there were many like that. I am born in 66 in Chicago and doodled all over my notebooks . I went to Lane Tech. I remember that morning very well when a classmate told me the news. I didn't believe him at first but he said Patty Haze on WMET was crying and that was when I believed him. 

On 01/04/2013 at 3:05 PM, snow4me said:

I actually bought it off Ebay back in the mid 90's when one of my coworkers turned me onto the then fledgling website.

As for the center being enlarged I recall the seller had that done to allow them to play it in a jukebox as well. If it is indeed one of 150 then I would guess that the fact it was modified may lower it's value a bit.

I am still curious to know what these have sold for in the past because there is very little info available online and I have never seen one pop up on Ebay again.

If it is original the fact that the center has been enlarged will have a negative effect on its value.

Archived