Help me choose a guitar.

pumpkinpie

Help me choose a guitar. i wants to know what guiar is the best to get Jimmy Pages tone, for solos. Of the following options.

1 Gibson les paul studio '50s tribute humbucker powerful 490R alnico II and 498T alnico V humbucking pickups in the neck and bridge

2 Gibson les paul studio '60s tribute p90

3 Gibson les paul tribute '60 burstBucker 1 and burstbucker 2 humbucking pickups

4 Gibson les paul tribute '70 pair of high-output dirty fingers™ humbucking pickups

You can also help other guitars.

You need to get a 1959 Les Paul Standard.......and a Fender Telecaster too.....

Just kidding........... Seriously, I would hope that you would be looking for a guitar to find your own tones. When Jimmy was originally buying his guitars, way back then, that is what he was trying to do.

gibson les paul standard, fender telecaster standard has exceeded my budget. Budget was $ 1,000

but other ideas are good too ....................But I still like the sound of Jimmy Page guitar anyway XD.

Sorry for the bad english.

gibson les paul standard, fender telecaster standard has exceeded my budget. Budget was $ 1,000

but other ideas are good too ....................But I still like the sound of Jimmy Page guitar anyway XD.

Sorry for the bad english.

no worries about your English, it is fine....

if your budget is $1000, can it afford you buying the guitar(s) you listed?......I thought the Gibson's you listed would all be over $1000 but maybe I am wrong. I have an LP standard with the burst-bucker pickups in it and it sounds great but it was expensive. If you are tied to a Gibson I understand but have you looked at the Epiphone LP'S?

Help me choose a guitar. i wants to know what guiar is the best to get Jimmy Pages tone, for solos. Of the following options.

1 Gibson les paul studio '50s tribute humbucker powerful 490R alnico II and 498T alnico V humbucking pickups in the neck and bridge

2 Gibson les paul studio '60s tribute p90

3 Gibson les paul tribute '60 burstBucker 1 and burstbucker 2 humbucking pickups

4 Gibson les paul tribute '70 pair of high-output dirty fingers™ humbucking pickups

You can also help other guitars.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul.aspx check out this site if interested Pumpkinpie......

I just bought a Stratocaster American Deluxe with Noiseless Pickups and a S1 switch. I'm not very good yet, but I love it!

64441_521102297930901_1660740245_n_zpsd1

Hi Wolfman, that is a sweet looking guitar. I have noiseless pickup on my strat too and love them. They are a great pickup. What is the S1 switch that you are talking about? Just wondering what that is....congrats on the purchase! Enjoy.......Fishy

Thanks. The S-1 switch is a push button that basically gives various sounds including that heavy, fat sound in older guitars.

Here's Fender's quotes on it/

Here’s what Fender says about their S-1 switching system: “A near-endless array of pickup options at your fingertips! Now standard equipment in many of our American Deluxe series and American series instruments, Fender’s groundbreaking S-1 switching system allows players to switch pickup configurations in an instant. The switch is visually undetectable, but tonally it turns your instrument into the most versatile axe on the planet! Located in the crown of the master volume knob, one push of the switch will place your pickups in an assemblage of parallel, series, and pickup-combining configurations. You can have the best of all worlds!”

Read more: http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/2011/Apr/Mod_Garage_The_Fenders_1_Switching_System.aspx#ixzz2PSeqTWeN

fishhead

Posted Today, 03:29 AM

if your budget is $1000, can it afford you buying the guitar(s) you listed?......I thought the Gibson's you listed would all be over $1000 but maybe I am wrong. I have an LP standard with the burst-bucker pickups in it and it sounds great but it was expensive. If you are tied to a Gibson I understand but have you looked at the Epiphone LP'S?

Gibson dealer in my town. (guitars In my option) guitars will have a price equal to $ 1,000.
I wonder if Epiphone lespaul (s) will be better than Gibson (of my choice) In terms of sound. If done well, I would choose the Epiphone.

fishhead

Posted Today, 03:29 AM

Gibson dealer in my town. (guitars In my option) guitars will have a price equal to $ 1,000.

I wonder if Epiphone lespaul (s) will be better than Gibson (of my choice) In terms of sound. If done well, I would choose the Epiphone.

The Gibson's are a higher standard but the Epiphones are pretty good and way more affordable. I am kind of shocked that you are finding Gibson's for $1000.00. Where is this place?.....Be careful they are not fakes....

Thanks. It does sound great. I'm not very good yet, but my friend who is amazing wailed away on it and was very impressed with the sound. It is almost like having a Strat and a Gibson.

The Gibson's are a higher standard but the Epiphones are pretty good and way more affordable. I am kind of shocked that you are finding Gibson's for $1000.00. Where is this place?.....Be careful they are not fakes....

They're not fakes. Just a less expensive alternative. Gibson has offered Studios, Juniors and Specials, that are $1000 and below for awhile now.

Of the guitars mentioned I'd say the 60s Tribute would get closest to Page tones, but all 3 could get you fairly close and a really good sound.

An Epiphone Les Paul with upgraded electronics would get you even closer, imo. The warm mahogany body, with the brightness of the maple cap and neck is really what makes a Les Paul.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...

In december I will get get my christmas extra from work. I'm planning on spending part of it on a new guitar.

I know december is still far away, but doesn't hurt to already do a bit of orientation.

Can anyway give me some tips, I am really having a hard time choosing between two very different guitars.

While I love the big and fat humbucker sound of a les paul, I don't really know how comfortable it would be for me to play (you see, I'm a shorty and maybe a les paul is a bit bulky and heavy for me to play..)

The other option is a fender tele (lighter and less bulky than a les paul, but a very, very different sound. However, still a guitar you can use for many different styles of music).

So the question is, do I go for a great sound, or for more playing-comfort......?

I am currently still playing my trusty yamaha pacifica. It has done a good job for quite a few years, but I am finally looking for something a bit better....

Oh and I do really love my ovation celebrity electric/accoustic (I bought it from my stepbrother, who unfortunately gave up playing the guitar. He knew I have always been in love with that guitar).

Maaike

I would love a Les Paul '59 but man...they're way out of my small budget at the moment. I will take whatever I can get, guitar wise...I'm currently whacking out Jimmy's riffs (or at least attempting to) on an old acoustic Takamine and they still sound alright, ha. The riffs speak for themselves!

But yeah, if you can afford it, go for it.

BecZep,

An original Gibson Les Paul can indeed really be a VERY expensive deal. However, an Epiphone (also a Gibson-brand) can be a good, yet more affordable option.

Mind you, an Epiphone is not always as good as an original Gibson, so I would try one out in your favourite guitar/music store. I had a bassist in my bandcoaching-band once

who owns an Epiphone Les Paul (he plays both bass and guitar).

I borrowed it from him once, the sound was really great, but it took me a while to get used to it, as it really was a big difference compared to my old yamaha (wiich is a strat-model).

That's why I'm not sure yet if I really should get myself a Les Paul, when the time comes, I too will need try one out in the store and see if I like it (they are a bit heavier than strat or tele like modells).

I guess, I will found out how comfortable they play for me, by simply giving them a try.

Anyone else have any good guitar-buying advise?

Maaike

I've got a Studio and it's great. I've had it nearly twenty years now. It's been gigged and recorded countless times. Would I swap it for a Standard or Custom? No. If you're gonna buy a guitar go to a shop and try a few and then buy the one that plays the best.

Do you have any of the larger musical chains near you? (Sam Ash/Guitar Center) If you do, I'd recommend going to one and take your time with finding a model that best suits your ears and price point. As far as sounding like JP, well that's incredibly subjective but they call it 'tone chasing' for a reason :)

Personally for that JP style sound on a budget I'd recommend a 'Vintage Lemon Drop' Les Paul, mine cost around £300 second hand and it's a truly astounding guitar. It's actually a Peter Green signature guitar of sorts, so it gives you that out of phase sound. The previous owner of mine put in Jimmy's wiring mod and replaced the bridge pickup with a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck.The stock ones still sound great though, it nails that late sixties/seventies blues rock sound and Zeppelin sounds like it should. It's the best budget guitar around in my opinion, it feels and sounds better than my American made Fender Strat that cost a hell of a lot more. Originally got this as a backup for that but now it's the other way around :lol:

We all would love to get that Jimmy Page sound....but the important thing is to buy the guitar that's best for you! I echo everyone else here....go to the guitar store...try out everything. Find the guitar that suits you best....it feels good to play, the weight and size are right....and you will know the sound of the one you love when you play it.

We all would love to get that Jimmy Page sound....but the important thing is to buy the guitar that's best for you! I echo everyone else here....go to the guitar store...try out everything. Find the guitar that suits you best....it feels good to play, the weight and size are right....and you will know the sound of the one you love when you play it.

Absolutely. Don't go chasing Page's tones. Go to a guitar store (we have an excellent independent one in the next town over) and ask to play some of the guitars. Just about any shop will happily set you up with an amp and whatever guitar you want. If they won't, go someplace else. Go for a guitar that feels right to you....if it doesn't you won't stick with it. And if you're fairly new to playing, it is much much harder than it looks so you will want an instrument that melds with you. Also, and this is kind of "imagey", but go with a guitar that every time you look at it, you want to pick it up and play it, because there will be many times when you are overdue for practicing, and it is easy to walk away instead. Just my two cents.

Archived