Page/Plant Music in the 1990s

Well, I guess I don't understand music like some of the posters here, because I really LOVED (and still do) WIC, and every song on it! I just don't get all the dissatisfaction with the mixing, etc. Jimmy's guitar sounds GREAT and crystal-clear to me, and Robert sounds like, well, Robert! What more could you want?

BTW, why has no one mentioned "House of Love?" Now, that's an awesome song, propelled by Michael Lee's thunderous drumming, and some typically magnificent guitar work from Jimmy!

I love tracks like "Heart In Your Hand" where Jimmy's playing has a Link Wray feel to it, IMHO. I did see them at the studios when they were recording this album and totally accept that that makes it extra special to me.

Knebby, I love your posts, how close or what is your relationship to THE BAND? If you can't answer, I understand, please don't have me banned, LOL, you just seem to have alot of access and knowledge, and when you sort through the nonsense, I believe what you say here, and respect your comments and posts, take this as a compliment, just curious, I would love a Knebby Thread!!! Have a great day, Tommy.

And I posted my post before reading this page of subtle attacks against you, ugh, again most respect just curious

Hey there no worries - I am just a member here like you so I don't have people banned, people have to upset the administrators here to get banned. I'm in a no-win situation with saying nothing at all/too much, though a few people have been trying to speak for me for a while now, so I remain true to what I believe is appropriate to say. Feel free to PM if you wish. Have a nice weekend

;0

My favorite song from Walking into Clarksdale is the beautiful and majestic, "Blue Train". I Love this song. This video is a Lovely tribute to Karac Plant. It brings tears to my eyes.

Agreed, I like WIC a lot but Blue Train is the one song that struck me as an instant classic worthy of their partnership, and it still does. And you're right, whoever put that video together did a great job, very moving...

• 1 month later...

I dont understand theyre use of string arrangement on, upon a golden horse, because they had steve albini recording and it just doesnt seem to fit the record. I am guessing they wanted albini for his raw sound on pj harvey and nirvana records, so i just dont get the strings, think the b side without strings is better. Plus its not like a pristine plant/vocal on that song. They did achieve the power with albinis sound on whn wrld was young, blue train, sons of freedom.

I dont think different production would change anyones mind about this album. With the sst artists from the 80s, like black flag and husker du, which i bought on cassette, they were badly produced, yet great albums.

I dont understand theyre use of string arrangement on, upon a golden horse, because they had steve albini recording and it just doesnt seem to fit the record. I am guessing they wanted albini for his raw sound on pj harvey and nirvana records, so i just dont get the strings, think the b side without strings is better. Plus its not like a pristine plant/vocal on that song. They did achieve the power with albinis sound on whn wrld was young, blue train, sons of freedom.

I dont think different production would change anyones mind about this album.

With the sst artists from the 80s, like black flag and husker du, which i bought on cassette, they were badly produced, yet great albums.

Your perspective is refreshing.

@Knebby :air_kiss:

I dont think different production would change anyones mind about this album. With the sst artists from the 80s, like black flag and husker du, which i bought on cassette, they were badly produced, yet great albums.

I vividly recall watching them perform Upon A Golden Horse at the Sheperds Bush Empire in March 1998. It was definitely a highlight among many that night. It generated immediate excitement for me concerning the new album and the course they planned to plot for 1998.

Thats my only complaint of walking into clarksdale, strings on upon a golden horse, its 3rd track and just messes up the flow of the record. With steve albinis work, you get a raw quality, sparse space and loud crunch. So why the violins. You have a nasty guitar by page, bass and drums thundering pretty good and a strange sort of howling vocal by plant.

Its a song that shows they gelled well as a band too.

Sheperds Bush Empire in March 1998. It was definitely a highlight among many that night. It generated immediate excitement for me concerning the new album and the course they planned to plot for 1998.

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You was the other fire starter that night.

I've only just caught up on this thread - enjoyed reading all the comments.

It's a strange topic for me because I went a bit weird on music in the 90s: turned my back on it, for rational and irrational reasons ! My brother bought me No Quarter so I did give that a listen, Walking into Clarksdale I missed entirely.

The upside was the joy of discovering this stuff later on: listening again and again to make up for all I had missed.

I'm still enjoying catching up !

• 2 months later...

I love the No Quarter concert. Brilliant performances. Off the top of my head, I love the versions of 'NFBM' and 'WTLB' and my girlfriend actually asks me to put 'Yallah' on more than any other Page and Plant songs from that era. I remember being taken with that too and I really enjoyed 'Wonderful One'.

For me, Walking into' was a bit of a letdown at the time but i firmly believe that was only due to expectations. Looking back, I always liked 'Most High' and 'Blue Train' is beautiful. There are others on the album that i really like hearing now too. I remember 'Heart in the Hand' being played on repeat and inspiring me to pick my guitar back up. Perfect playing.

The concerts weren't half bad either!!! That egyptian intro, curtain up and the shadow of THAT hair, 'Wanton Song'. One of my greatest childhood memories.

Sometimes, we need a bit of time to really appreciate these things or at least I do. Last night, i drank with friends and watched the 'Exit Festival' gig from 2007. I saw Plant in Bristol, Greenman and of course, the 02 that year and although I loved them at the time, jesus..., the 'Exit' gig is PERFECT. Just a band at the peak of it's powers. Wish I'd gone to more gigs that year!

• 5 weeks later...

The greatest Page Plant show I’ve been to was at the Garden 7/16/98. While searching youtube, I’ve found an audience bootleg that very accurately shows how crazy and loud the crowd was that night. The visuals are shaky and focus on Lee & Jones more than Jimmy and Robert due to the position of the camera. This complete show, if enjoyed from an audio perspective, is a endless source for goose bumps …….I’ve since forgotten my section number, it was in the back, just as the floor elevates. I will never forget this evening at the Garden………….Jimmy and Robert walked on water this night !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKF8lUOKGno

The greatest Page Plant show I’ve been to was at the Garden 7/16/98. While searching youtube, I’ve found an audience bootleg that very accurately shows how crazy and loud the crowd was that night. The visuals are shaky and focus on Lee & Jones more than Jimmy and Robert due to the position of the camera. This complete show, if enjoyed from an audio perspective, is a endless source for goose bumps …….I’ve since forgotten my section number, it was in the back, just as the floor elevates. I will never forget this evening at the Garden………….Jimmy and Robert walked on water this night !

You are right Zepscoda. The crowd is manic indeed. Thanks for posting this great show.

I was there and I'll second that! This night was one big goose bump, absolutely magic! I remember walking out in the the NY streets after the show everybody was chanting, "ZEPPELIN!! ZEPPELIN!!!...", probably to Robert's chagrin!

WOW great post I traveled from Rochester NY, to see this show, also saw the Toronto show of this tour!!!!!

WOW great post I traveled from Rochester NY, to see this show, also saw the Toronto show of this tour!!!!!

Wow does that bring back the fond memories of when I saw them down in Tampa in 98. Same mania from that crowd as well. It wasnt Zeppelin, but it must have been close to what it felt like seeing them live.

"Walking into Clarksdale" would have been a tremendous album if the cover art had been on par with something like "Houses of the holy".

You think I'm kidding?

I am not.

Just prior to release the album title was changed from 'Most High' to 'Walking Into Clarksdale', however the cover graphics were left unchanged.

If WIC had been released prior to CDs it would have been a double album. It's just not "double-album-worthy" imho. But take your favorite 8 songs, whichever 8 those may be, and you probably have a good to great album. Just a wee bit too much filler for a start-to-finish listen for me.

• 8 months later...

Glad to see that there's a few of you that share my opinion tha WIC is a great lp. I bought it not expecting much and it's ended up one of my favourite albums. I've no beef with the production, strings, personel or songs and I love the rawness and stripped back feel of it. I liked No Quarter but this one I really got into, especially after my disappointment with C/P which hit all the wrong buttons for me.

Archived