Page,Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young

jpenzabene

I remember once seeing a Photo in a CREEM magazine back in the day with a caption Saying just that !

PAGE ,Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young and I think they may have been on the same stage performing once .

Does anyone know anything about that or have that photo ??

PEACE

LOVE

LED ZEPPELIN

I remember once seeing a Photo in a CREEM magazine back in the day with a caption Saying just that !

PAGE ,Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young and I think they may have been on the same stage performing once .

PEACE

LOVE

LED ZEPPELIN

csny-jimmy-page-1974.png

September 14, 1974

The party relating to this was held at Quaglino's restaurant in St James', London. It reopened after a major refurbishment in the 1990's. I went along to try out the restaurant as part of visiting places associated with LZ members in the UK.

If I remember correctly, Joni Mitchell was also present during the above jamming session.

PEACE

LOVE

LED ZEPPELIN

Wow

That was quick and very informative !!

Thank You

If I remember correctly the Picture published in CREEM was from further in that audience with PAGE standing on the left !

It was the 70s and my Memory is kinda Fuzzy from those days to say the least!

I still have a few of the old Guitar Player and Hit Parade mags from back then .

Most importantly I still have my stub from the Silverdome show.

I recently was in London myself seen Ray Davies at The Royal Albert Hall and was shocked that they had no Photo on their walls of Led Zeppelins performance "The Most Famous Show" ever done there.

Yet they have Madonna and other CRAP

PEACE

LOVE

LED ZEPPELIN

Hi jpenzabene,

In the UK, this event was covered by the New Musical Express, and I am certain that that is the original source of the photo. From memory, Rod Stewart was at the party, and he spoke to a journalist about trying to get off with Ms Mitchell, but she was not interested. I recall Rod saying that Jimmy had tried, but she wasn't interested in him either!! She was, in fact, there with John Guerin who I believe was her drummer at the time.

Wow
That was quick and very informative !!
Thank You
If I remember correctly the Picture published in CREEM was from further in that audience with PAGE standing on the left !
It was the 70s and my Memory is kinda Fuzzy from those days to say the least!
I still have a few of the old Guitar Player and Hit Parade mags from back then .
Most importantly I still have my stub from the Silverdome show.
I recently was in London myself seen Ray Davies at The Royal Albert Hall and was shocked that they had no Photo on their walls of Led Zeppelins performance "The Most Famous Show" ever done there.
Yet they have Madonna and other CRAP
PEACE
LOVE
LED ZEPPELIN

csny-jimmy-page-1974.png

September 14, 1974

The photo was of course taken during a post gig jam after CSNY played Wembley Stadium...IIRC Page, Plant and Bonham were all in the audience for the concert, which Graham Nash claims is set for official release some day...

Thanks again .

I would love to see or even hear a smidgen of that show .

Anymore info you would care to share would be appreciated .

I've tried researching which particular CREEM it was in but was unable to find it just yet .

I can't believe that the girl from TSRTS is a successful painter and still HOT .

PEACE

LOVE

LED ZEPPELIN

Hi Wolfman,

As I said above, this jam took place in a legendary London restaurant. It is anybody's guess as to whether it was recorded. I doubt if any recording would be made publicly available because you may have to get the permission of all involved. That could prove to be difficult. Alternatively, anyone who has the recording might not be prepared to share it with others on the likes of YouTube.

One day, when I have the time, I'll see if I can get the original New Musical Express report from 1974 from the National Library. I am not sure that the article is available on this site so far.

Are there any recordings of this jam?

• 1 month later...

http://neilyoungnews.thrasherswheat.org/2012/03/solved-photo-of-moment-csny-jimmy-page.html

"...In Broken Arrow issue 122 I wrote a long article on Neil’s appearances in London (‘London Calling’). This photo was included and was indeed taken by Joe Stevens. Joe is a legendary 70s rock photographer who is also a good friend to the NYAS and who graciously allowed us to re-produce it and helped me with the story. Here’s the relevant passage from ‘London Calling’:

Less than a year later Neil was back in town, this time with his superstar buddies Crosby, Stills and Nash to close out their mega 1974 US stadium door (the infamous ‘doom tour’) with a one-off gig at Wembley Stadium of all places. Labelled as the UK’s ‘gig of the year’ and described by many who were there as unforgettable, it received massive coverage in the UK musical press and attracted a crowd of over 72,000. The CSNY performance was filmed in its entirety and remarkably good quality bootlegs have surfaced in recent years. Well worth tracking down.
Much later that same day the musicians turned up at a post-gig party in Quaglino’s. This most famous of London’s society restaurants had been opened by Giovanni Quaglino in the 1930s. It eventually closed in the 1980s and was subsequently rebuilt in 1993 by Terence Conran on the same location (16 Bury Street, St James’s Place). This after show is worthy of special note because both Stills and Young got up on stage and jammed along firstly with members of The Band, and then later with Jimmy Page and John Bonham, when Neil even sang “Vampire Blues” and “On The Beach”. Legendary rock photographer and friend to the NYAS Joe Stevens was there and caught this image of Neil onstage with Stills, Nash and Jimmy Page.
In his 2010 book Apathy for the Devil (A 1970’s Memoir) Nick Kent, one of only a few writers on popular music who can really claim to have led a rock’n’roll lifestyle, memorably wrote about this party:

“The big event as summer turned to autumn was a Wembley Stadium show headlined by recently reformed hippie dreamers Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young. They played for almost three hours, their voices audibly hollowed out by ongoing cocaine abuse. Half the band appeared to be struggling with recurrent nose bleeding. It was a sorry spectacle all told, only Neil Young managed to fleetingly impress. At the party afterwards at a West End watering hole called Quaglino’s a wide-eyed, chemically impacted Young, and an obnoxiously drunk-as-a-skunk Stills booed the ropey pick-up band, hired to perform at their festivities, off the makeshift stage, then climbed up and took over their instruments. Young immediately took control of the repertoire sand started performing several sluggish tempoed compositions from his just released album On The Beach. Stills tried to play the drums but fell backwards off the stool after a couple of minutes. He then decided to approach the microphone and address the many English ‘rock’ musicians who’d tured up at the event as invited guests. In a nutshell, he dared them to come up and match their playing skills with his. It was just a pissed-up brag, but both Jimmy Page and John Bonham volunteered and played a memorable ten minute jam, with Young still firmly at the helm. Robbie Robertson of the band also stepped up and he and Young got into a lively guitar duel that would have involuntarily cured the whiskers off any bearded man present in the room.
Young was a force of nature that night. No one could intimidate him or outplay him. You could tell he was having an excessively good time. Even Stills’s bullish presence didn’t faze him. Why should it?”

Archived