The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

Deacon Jones

Saw that this morning.

Used to love the Fearsome Foursome.

He was from Eatonville, a historic town next to Orlando.

I went to Jr. High school with his nephew, Todd Jones.

Dude had the biggest afro in school.

RIP Deacon Jones.

RIP Author Iain Banks

Banks, whose books include The Wasp Factory and The Crow Road, announced in April that he had months to live after being diagnosed with gall bladder cancer.

He recently completed a novel, The Quarry, depicting the final weeks in the life of cancer-ridden Guy - a work that draws heavily on Banks's own experience of the disease.

The novel, which will be published on June 20, lays bare the difficulties of a character who must occasionally use a Zimmer frame to get around, and is unflinchingly opposed to alternative treatments, which he describes to a friend as “bollocks”.

Banks announced on his website that he was dying from cancer in April, and said that he expected to live for "several months".

He wrote: “It started in my gall bladder, has infected both lobes of my liver and probably also my pancreas and some lymph nodes, plus one tumour is massed around a group of major blood vessels in the same volume, effectively ruling out any chance of surgery to remove the tumours either in the short or long term.

“The bottom line, now, I'm afraid, is that as a late stage gall bladder cancer patient, I'm expected to live for 'several months' and it’s extremely unlikely I'll live beyond a year. So it looks like my latest novel, The Quarry, will be my last.”

Praising the “professionalism” of the NHS, he said that a course of chemotherapy might extend his life a little further, but that he would withdraw from all planned public engagements.

He added that he had asked his partner Adele “if she will do me the honour of becoming my widow” – an offer she accepted.

RIP Sir Henry Cecil, Racehorse Trainer

Legendary racehorse trainer Sir Henry Cecil has died at the age of 70, a statement posted on his website confirmed.

He was one of Britain's most successful trainers.

Responsible for 25 British Classic winners and crowned champion trainer 10 times, Sir Henry was also the leading handler by some way at Royal Ascot with a record 75 successes.

"It is with great sadness that Warren Place Stables confirms the passing of Sir Henry Cecil earlier this morning," said the statement.

"Following communication with the British Horseracing Authority (BHA), a temporary licence will be allocated to Lady Cecil."

Sir Henry, who was knighted by the Queen in 2011, had been battling stomach cancer for several years.

Towards the end of a career that spanned four decades, he trained Frankel, the highest-rated racehorse ever.

Frankel retired last year after winning all 14 of his races.

BHA chief executive Paul Bittar paid tribute to Sir Henry, describing him as "one of the great characters and one of the great trainers in British racing".

"It's tragically sad," Mr Bittar said after being told of Cecil's death.

"Having said that, what a wonderful way to be able to finish his career with the greatest race horse (Frankel) that any of us will ever get to see."

Sir Henry, from an aristocratic background, was born into racing and often said he would have been able to do nothing else.

At 21, he started off as assistant to his stepfather, the Royal trainer Cecil Boyd-Rochfort, and took charge on his retirement in 1968.

A year later he was celebrating his first major success as Wolver Hollow gained the Eclipse at Sandown.

As the years went on, things got exponentially better, recording a first Classic in 1973 when Cloonagh took the Irish 1,000 Guineas, and three years later he was champion trainer for the first time.

In 1987 when he trained a record number of winners - 180.

Sir Henry married his one-time secretary Jane McKeown in 2008.

He is survived by two children from his first marriage, Katie and Noel, and son Jake from his second marriage.

RIP Vince Flynn, author of the Mitch Rapp spy novel series. So very sad to hear the news today. :( We love his books; he had been battling prostate cancer for a couple of years and was only in his 40s. I can't believe he and James Gandolfini are both gone, and both so young. What a very sad day. :(

RIP Vince Flynn, author of the Mitch Rapp spy novel series. So very sad to hear the news today. :( We love his books; he had been battling prostate cancer for a couple of years and was only in his 40s. :(

Just read this, Vince Flynn is one of my and my wife's favorite authors. We had heard they were going to make a movie about Mitch Rapp. Didn't know that he was sick. We were turned onto him by a Secret Service agent we know, after the first book was released. He seemed to think the Vince definitely had inside information based on details he provided in the story. He will be missed!

RIP Vince Flynn....:(

We found one of his books at our beach rental house several years back and were immediately hooked, we quickly read the series. He recently updated his FB page a month or so ago so we were hopeful that he was getting better.

It's very sad indeed. He is definitely going to be missed.