The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

I'm not in pain over it, just respecting the fact that others are, like you said. I watched him wrestle when I was a kid, but never really liked his "persona". But he was a good family man. For that, much respect!

Edited by Walter

I'm not in pain over it, just respecting the fact that others are, like you said. I watched him wrestle when I was a kid, but never really liked his "persona". But he was a good family man. For that, much respect!

Don't think I could summarize my feelings any better. RIP Roddy!

One of the great bad guys.

I'll never forget him beating the crap out of fall guy Frankie Williams on one of his Piper's Pit interviews.

"As soon as they think they know the answers, I change the questions!"

I lost interest in Pro Wrestling shortly after this era, but "Rowdy" Roddy Piper was a definite highlight.

Rest in Peace.

Edited by the chase

RIP to all-time NASCAR great and analyst Buddy Baker. He was known as the "Gentle Giant" and drove the legendary "Grey Ghost" #28 car to victory lane at the 1980 Daytona 500, which was the first cup race I ever attended. He was one of the greatest story tellers and gave so much back to the sport and was a mentor to so many. Very sad day for the sport and for me personally. RIP Buddy.

Frank Gifford come on in to the RIP thread, the water's fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAeUYVA23Go

He went to my mom's high school and he was a USC Trojan and I cannot calculate how many hours I spent watching him, Howard Cosell, and Dandy Don Meredith on Monday Night Football.

Rest in peace, Frank Gifford. Fight On SC!

Julian Bond, civil rights icon and NAACP director died on August 15, 2015 at the age of 75. Bond co-founded SNCC (the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee) and dropped out of Morehouse College to serve as the group's communication director in 1961. He later served as both a Georgia state representative and senator. He was a good man who worked hard to make America live up to the values it preaches. RIP.

Julian Bond, civil rights icon and NAACP director died on August 15, 2015 at the age of 75. Bond co-founded SNCC (the Student Non-Violent Coordinating Committee) and dropped out of Morehouse College to serve as the group's communication director in 1961. He later served as both a Georgia state representative and senator. He was a good man who worked hard to make America live up to the values it preaches. RIP.

Just heard about his passing. He did his best in difficult times and probably had to get his hands a little dirty, as anyone fighting the status quo usually has to do in order to get things done...be they priest, politician, soldier, teacher, worker. At least he lived longer than many of his fellow compatriots of the times. R.I.P.

• 2 weeks later...

BALTIMORE – Frank E. Petersen Jr., the first black aviator and brigadier general in Marine Corps, has died.

Frank E. Petersen III said his father died Tuesday at his home in Stevensville, on Maryland's Kent Island, of complications from lung cancer. He was 83.

The New York Times reported that Petersen enlisted in the Navy in 1950, two years after President Truman desegregated the armed forces.

The next year, Petersen entered the Naval Aviation Cadet Program, according to The Washington Post.

According to a news release on the Marine Corps website, Petersen was commissioned in the corps in 1952. The Marines say Petersen served in the Korean War in 1953 and Vietnam in 1968. He received the Purple Heart for wounds suffered when he ejected over the demilitarized zone in Vietnam, The Post reported.

During his career, Petersen flew more than 350 combat missions and more than 4,000 hours.

This happened about a week ago and it was mentioned on The Ashes thread, but I thought that I'll mention it here, as this guy was one of the greatest opening batsmen Australia and the world, has ever known!

R.I.P Arthur Morris

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/arthur-morris-one-of-australias-finest-opening-batsmen-who-played-a-key-role-on-don-bradmans-invincibles-tour-10475547.html

I met him back in 1984. He was a major general and commander of a Marine air wing at the time. I can't even begin to fathom the determination, self control and sheer grit he must have possessed to reach the rank he held in the military. May he RIP.