The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

I have been meaning to post this for a while. I'm sure other fans of classic British comedy will know who Nicolas Smith, was! 

Sad to know that all the members of the original cast of 'Are You Being Served?' are dead :( 

On a lighter note, 'Good Old Jug Ears'! :lol: 

Are You Being Served? actor Nicholas Smith dies aged 81

7th December, 2015

Nicholas Smith

Nicholas Smith, the actor who played store manager Mr Rumbold in the BBC sitcom Are You Being Served?, has died aged 81.

He had been the last surviving member of the original cast.

"It is with great sadness we can confirm that our client passed away yesterday," his agents at Michelle Braidman Associates said.

"He was a lovely man and a terrific actor. He will be much missed by all who knew him."

Mollie Sugden as Mrs Slocombe, Nicholas Smith as store manager Mr Rumbold, and Frank Thornton as Captain Peacock

Are You Being Served? cast

They added that their thoughts were with his family.

Smith's daughter is the actress Catherine Russell, who plays Serena Campbell in Holby City. She tweeted some recent footage of him on YouTube playing his own composition at the piano called The Music Lesson.

She said: "My dad died. But before he did we got this gem. One of his own compositions."

Smith, who died in hospital on Sunday, had been in hospital for seven weeks following a fall at home.

Are You Being Served? was set in fictitious department store Grace Brothers and ran from 1972 to 1985, often attracting audiences of more than 20 million. Written by Jeremy Lloyd and David Croft, much of its humour was based on innuendo and slapstick.

It also starred John Inman, Mollie Sugden, Frank Thornton and Wendy Richard alongside Smith, who played Cuthbert "Jug Ears" Rumbold, the manager.

Frank Thornton as Captain Peacock and Nicholas Smith as Mr Rumbold

Born in 1934 in Banstead, Surrey, Smith's other TV roles included parts in Doctor Who, The Frost Report, The Saint and The Avengers.

He played PC Yates in several episodes of the BBC police series Z Cars between 1972-75.

Nicholas Smith as the Vicar, Mike Grady as Barry and Robert Fyfe as Howard

More recently, he was the voice of the eccentric Reverend Clement Hedges in Wallace & Gromit film The Curse of the Were-Rabbit (2005). In 2008 he appeared as a vicar in Last of the Summer Wine.

Source : http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35023713

Edited by Kiwi_Zep_Fan87

Natalie Cole, daughter of Nat "King" Cole has passed away at 65

Hep C complications. It can shut down your organs at any time. If you ever have it, deal with it then and there. It's like playing Russian roulette. You can live with it for 20 - 30 years, or it can hit you in 6 months. If anyone here gets it, knock it out immediately. As of last year there's a more curable kind of chemo.

It's ashame that she got Hep C in 2009. As of last year, there's a med with a 96% cure rate. Trust me. Knock it out asap. 

Edited by apantherfrommd

Hep C complications. It can shut down your organs at any time. If you ever have it, deal with it then and there. It's like playing Russian roulette. You can live with it for 20 - 30 years, or it can hit you in 6 months. If anyone here gets it, knock it out immediately. As of last year there's a more curable kind of chemo.

It's ashame that she got Hep C in 2009. As of last year, there's a med with a 96% cure rate. Trust me. Knock it out asap. 

right! Hep C  is surprisingly more prevelant than you'd think, especially for Baby Boomers.  Like many viruses, it can wreak havoc undetected...poor lady.

See ya Trapper

2015-12-31-23-51-39-1.png

Man, that sucks...I love M*A*S*H, the first few seasons with Trapper and Blake were probably the best ones. 

Seems to me that the three most consistently funny actors on the show -Wayne Rogers, McLean Stevenson and Larry Linville- are all gone now.

Man, that sucks...I love M*A*S*H, the first few seasons with Trapper and Blake were probably the best ones. 

Seems to me that the three most consistently funny actors on the show -Wayne Rogers, McLean Stevenson and Larry Linville- are all gone now.

agree 100%

I couldn't stand the BJ character or the other one, the posh guy, can't remember his name. Never the same after Blake, trapper and radar left :(

agree 100%

I couldn't stand the BJ character or the other one, the posh guy, can't remember his name. Never the same after Blake, trapper and radar left :(

Frank Burns was my fave. I loved the episode where the guy made Trapper John a pinstripe suit and all the stripes were horizontal. :lol:

Frank Burns was my fave. I loved the episode where the guy made Trapper John a pinstripe suit and all the stripes were horizontal. :lol:

:hysterical:

After I heard the news about Wayne Rogers I found it necessary to bust out my Season 3 DVD's- "Officer Of The Day" being one of the episodes I had to watch (the aforementioned pinstripe suit episode) as well as two of my personal favourites, "Adam's Ribs" (where they wheel and deal to get the spareribs from Chicago) and "A Full Rich Day" (the one with the crazy Turk: "Damn good Joe!" :lol: :lol::lol: )

After I heard the news about Wayne Rogers I found it necessary to bust out my Season 3 DVD's- "Officer Of The Day" being one of the episodes I had to watch (the aforementioned pinstripe suit episode) as well as two of my personal favourites, "Adam's Ribs" (where they wheel and deal to get the spareribs from Chicago) and "A Full Rich Day" (the one with the crazy Turk: "Damn good Joe!" :lol: :lol::lol: )

Probably my favourite show of all time :)

Great choices...you've inspired me to do the same.

15 minutes ago, Virginia said:

Uuuugh... Gutted... Cancer can go and fuck right off already.

There was a Leonard Cohen tribute at Massey Hall a while back, and Alan Rickman was one of the presenters. He read a poem. You don't really appreciate that velvety voice and moving, crafted delivery unless you've heard it live.

Great actor, concerned citizen, and caring human being. From many accounts of others who've worked with him, he was committed to his community and very supportive of his fellow actors, tending in particular to the young.

I feel so sad. What a loss. Heaven's gain. Wonder what role he'll play up there. Rehearsal's at 2pm...

On Thursday, January 14, 2016 at 5:03 AM, Virginia said:

Goddammit. Too many great ones dying. Oh, that mellifluous voice of Alan Rickman. It was too soon to be silenced. :(