The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

An artist of this magnitude should be his own death thread.   What an amazing talent.  He could do it all, musically.  As a man he was so humble and kind.  A human he gave back so much more than people ever know.  There is a huge hole out there tonight and heaven gets another great one.

RIP Prince 

:( 

Son of a bitch.  I am really having a hard time with the death of Prince.  I deal with death and dying every day, you'd think by now I'd get the hang of it..

you know what it is...his music reminds me of simpler times in my own life, and that those times are long over.  

I blasted 'Purple Rain' on route 146 from Worcester to the Rhode Island border today as if it were 1985 again. Felt good.

Thank you, Prince Rogers Nelson. I love you and will miss you.

Someone needs to get him a star **NOW**

Just now, Strider said:

And the band played on...

Cancer claims another one...Philly soul singer Billy Paul. R.I.P. :(

http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/local/Billy-Paul-Soul-Singer-Death-Philadelphia-Manager--376903281.html

I have fond memories of slow dancing to this song at house parties when I was a teenager.  Thanks for the music Mr. Paul and may you sing with the angels.

• 2 weeks later...

2016 takes another one of my favorite musicians!  Candy Kane was a Blues singer with a persona as big as her voice (and boobs!).  A keeper of the Blues flame in the style of Etta James, Bessie Smith and Ruth Brown, a fat acceptance advocate and a sex positive freedom crusader.  She quit USC's opera program and embraced the early punk scene, she did a lot of charity work, in August 2009, she appeared in Dublin, Ireland for the World Congress for Downs Syndrome with her United by Music charity and in 2014 Kane won an award for Best Original Blues composition by the West Coast Songwriter's Association for her song, "I'm My Own Worst Enemy".

Listen Here:

On 3/10/2016 at 8:03 PM, SteveAJones said:

KEITH EMERSON OF EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER

I am deeply saddened to learn of the passing of my good friend and brother-in-music, Keith Emerson. Keith was a gentle soul whose love for music and passion for his performance as a keyboard player will remain unmatched for many years to come. He was a pioneer and an innovator whose musical genius touched all of us in the worlds of rock, classical and jazz. I will always remember his warm smile, good sense of humor, compelling showmanship, and dedication to his musical craft. I am very lucky to have known him and to have made the music we did, together. Rest in peace, Keith.
Carl Palmer
March 11, 2016

Eh... How'd this come up...???..  Sad though, R.I.P Keith..

11 hours ago, chef free said:

2016 takes another one of my favorite musicians!  Candy Kane was a Blues singer with a persona as big as her voice (and boobs!).  A keeper of the Blues flame in the style of Etta James, Bessie Smith and Ruth Brown, a fat acceptance advocate and a sex positive freedom crusader.  She quit USC's opera program and embraced the early punk scene, she did a lot of charity work, in August 2009, she appeared in Dublin, Ireland for the World Congress for Downs Syndrome with her United by Music charity and in 2014 Kane won an award for Best Original Blues composition by the West Coast Songwriter's Association for her song, "I'm My Own Worst Enemy".

Listen Here:

Thanks for letting the Forum know, chef free...it is a sad loss of a vibrant woman so young. But I would be remiss if I didn't clarify that her name was not Candy, but Candye with an 'e'. R.I.P.

9 hours ago, Strider said:

Thanks for letting the Forum know, chef free...it is a sad loss of a vibrant woman so young. But I would be remiss if I didn't clarify that her name was not Candy, but Candye with an 'e'. R.I.P.

Oops!  Ha ha, yeah, me and spelling, barely on speaking terms!  Give me physics, chemistry, calculus and I'm good because the rules are strict and set but spelling?  Plus I'm sitting here with a handful of her CDs LOOKING RIGHT AT THEM!  

Damn, another one gone, I guess at our age we gotta get used to it.

2016 continues its record pace.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/10/arts/television/william-schallert-father-on-the-patty-duke-show-dies-at-93.html?smid=tw-share&_r=1&referer=https://m.facebook.com/

This one stings, not just because I enjoyed his work in so many films and shows, but because he was scheduled to appear at the Film Noir Festival in Palm Springs this weekend.