The Rest in Peace Thread

SteveAJones

4 hours ago, Reggie29 said:

Thoughts and prayers to the victims and families of the London attacks.

I hope all of our members in the UK are safe and sound.

Why the "terrorist threat" level was reduced is unfathomable.

Whilst it's not the ideal situation to have armed soldiers patrolling the streets of cities around the world, it is obvious they are needed.

Stay strong and safe.

+1

I can't believe that England has endured three attacks now since March...so heartbreaking...

9 hours ago, ForEvermore said:

+1

I can't believe that England has endured three attacks now since March...so heartbreaking...

It absolutely is heartbreaking.  Thoughts and prayers to everyone affected, injured, and worse.

Look below the surface for the reasons.  In order to continue recruiting jihadists, there has to be an enemy to aim at.  With the election luming, the timing of these attacks is pretty transparent.

9 hours ago, Walter said:

It absolutely is heartbreaking.  Thoughts and prayers to everyone affected, injured, and worse.

Look below the surface for the reasons.  In order to continue recruiting jihadists, there has to be an enemy to aim at.  With the election luming, the timing of these attacks is pretty transparent.

Why does it have to deal with an election? It's Ramadan. The extremists only care about their ideology. They go by the book, because there is "no other way but that".

The timing of the attacks didn't have anything to do with what happened in the Philippines.

Dag on! You've got innocent people getting their throats slashed. People were thrown off the bridge into Thames River, and those were the lucky ones. God bless the UK.

I am so saddened by those injured and to the families of those lost. England used to be such a strong country. They ruled 1/3rd of the world at one time. Now they get all these attacks from within because they were welcoming and innocent-minded. Manchester and the "Don't Look Back In Anger" song. That doesn't stop them. It encourages them if you sing to them after an attack.

Please don't put your lives in the hands of a rock-n-roll band.

England needs to get angry, identify the problem, and pressure their leaders to crack down on this! If they don't they are just rolling over because of appeasement and political correctness.

I'm very sad to see this happening to England and her children. 

Edited by apantherfrommd
spelling

Another Cultural Icon of my youth gone sad.gif

I got to meet Adam at a fan convention in Plano, Tx. in 2001. He autographed my DVD of Batman: The Movie. He was the real deal, truly appreciative of his fans.

Being dropped off by my parents at the local theater on that summer morning in 1966, to see Batman: The Movie, as a 10 year old, is one of the highlights of my movie-going career....

Adam is now on assignment in the heaven-lies.

AvBbzK4.gif

12 hours ago, Walter said:

RIP Charleena Lyles

shot to death in Seattle after calling the police to investigate a break in.

Yep. She also had a lengthy history of mental illness, a criminal record, had just been released from prison earlier this month and was armed with a kitchen knife when the two officers responded. 

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Yep. She also had a lengthy history of mental illness, a criminal record, had just been released from prison earlier this month and was armed with a kitchen knife when the two officers responded. 

So why did they not Tazer her, or shoot to wound, a kneecap maybe. Seems they took the easy option "bang bang you're dead"..

It's called self-preservation.  If someone comes at you with a knife, you are trained to stop them to save yourself.  Only on silly TV shows and movies do you see people aiming to "wing" a perpetrator......  I can speak from experience having been an emergency responder for 14 years. 

2 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

It's called self-preservation.  If someone comes at you with a knife, you are trained to stop them to save yourself.  Only on silly TV shows and movies do you see people aiming to "wing" a perpetrator......  I can speak from experience having been an emergency responder for 14 years. 

Then what is the reason & use of a Taser? Why are officers given Tasers if they are going to disregard it in such situations?

I have several cousins who are current police offices and uncles who are retired police officers. The fact is, what you describe is a very recent phenomenon. Prior to the early 2000's, a police officers was trained to use deadly force as a last resort option only. In fact the Taser was developed to deal with non-firearm related threats and the company which makes them has marketing videos & literature which strongly backs this up. When police began buying the units they did so for this express purpose. Only in the past 15 years or so have Tasers job changed from this idea to immobilize a perp with a knife, club, bowling pin, etc. to being used principally as a glorified cattle prod to torture citizens who are either too shaken up to respond to commands quickly or just "because." 

The problem is police are now trained as a para-military force, us vs. them. Protect and serve died two decades ago, now the police have morphed into a street army where anyone not a cop is a potential threat to be neutralized.