Slate Chocolate Marble
Slate Chocolate Marble

Led Zeppelin Official Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

SteveAJones

The Rest in Peace Thread

1,589 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, JTM said:

So why did they not Tazer her, or shoot to wound, a kneecap maybe. Seems they took the easy option "bang bang you're dead"..

Police are not trained to "shoot to wound" and rightly so. 

53 minutes ago, IpMan said:

Then what is the reason & use of a Taser? Why are officers given Tasers if they are going to disregard it in such situations?

I have several cousins who are current police offices and uncles who are retired police officers. The fact is, what you describe is a very recent phenomenon. Prior to the early 2000's, a police officers was trained to use deadly force as a last resort option only. In fact the Taser was developed to deal with non-firearm related threats and the company which makes them has marketing videos & literature which strongly backs this up. When police began buying the units they did so for this express purpose. Only in the past 15 years or so have Tasers job changed from this idea to immobilize a perp with a knife, club, bowling pin, etc. to being used principally as a glorified cattle prod to torture citizens who are either too shaken up to respond to commands quickly or just "because." 

The problem is police are now trained as a para-military force, us vs. them. Protect and serve died two decades ago, now the police have morphed into a street army where anyone not a cop is a potential threat to be neutralized.

Tasers are not as effective and reliable as you keep insisting they are. Google it. That said, when someone is brandishing a weapon the use of deadly force is authorized and, as far as I'm concerned, the appropriate response. Spare me the "protect and serve died two decades ago" bullshit. People were shouting "No Justice, No Peace" back in 1993 and burning cities down in 1967 over so-called police brutality. People complained about Wyatt Earp as well, for that matter.  

33 minutes ago, SteveAJones said:

Police are not trained to "shoot to wound" and rightly so. 

Tasers are not as effective and reliable as you keep insisting they are. Google it. That said, when someone is brandishing a weapon the use of deadly force is authorized and, as far as I'm concerned, the appropriate response. Spare me the "protect and serve died two decades ago" bullshit. People were shouting "No Justice, No Peace" back in 1993 and burning cities down in 1967 over so-called police brutality. People complained about Wyatt Earp as well, for that matter.  

Unlike modern police Earp never killed a man that was not actively trying to blow his head off with their own gun. Earp shot only one person before the infamous OK Corral incident, and that person shot at him first. Understand the difference? When a officer from the Wild West exercises more restraint than a modern law enforcement officer, I believe my point has been made.

5 hours ago, Stryder1978 said:

It's called self-preservation.  If someone comes at you with a knife, you are trained to stop them to save yourself.  Only on silly TV shows and movies do you see people aiming to "wing" a perpetrator......  I can speak from experience having been an emergency responder for 14 years. 

So two grown men could not work out how to get a knife off the person wielding it, a person undoubtedly smaller and lighter than they are, what happened to the so called training, have these two grown men not been trained even the most basic martial arts. Two of them for ef sake. Imo they took the easy (I am really refraining here) option.     Cheap and nasty law enforcement imo......

13 hours ago, IpMan said:

Unlike modern police Earp never killed a man that was not actively trying to blow his head off with their own gun. Earp shot only one person before the infamous OK Corral incident, and that person shot at him first. Understand the difference? When a officer from the Wild West exercises more restraint than a modern law enforcement officer, I believe my point has been made.

Let's cut to the chase. Your posts here make it clear you have pathological issues with all authority figures.

12 hours ago, JTM said:

So two grown men could not work out how to get a knife off the person wielding it, a person undoubtedly smaller and lighter than they are, what happened to the so called training, have these two grown men not been trained even the most basic martial arts. Two of them for ef sake. Imo they took the easy (I am really refraining here) option. Cheap and nasty law enforcement imo......

So now we've gone from why not use tasers to why not use martial arts? You guys are so naive and completely full of shit. I can promise you ANYONE brandishes a knife at me they will take two in the chest EVERY time, and then I'll go home and sleep like a baby. 

18 hours ago, IpMan said:

Then what is the reason & use of a Taser? Why are officers given Tasers if they are going to disregard it in such situations?

I have several cousins who are current police offices and uncles who are retired police officers. The fact is, what you describe is a very recent phenomenon. Prior to the early 2000's, a police officers was trained to use deadly force as a last resort option only. In fact the Taser was developed to deal with non-firearm related threats and the company which makes them has marketing videos & literature which strongly backs this up. When police began buying the units they did so for this express purpose. Only in the past 15 years or so have Tasers job changed from this idea to immobilize a perp with a knife, club, bowling pin, etc. to being used principally as a glorified cattle prod to torture citizens who are either too shaken up to respond to commands quickly or just "because." 

The problem is police are now trained as a para-military force, us vs. them. Protect and serve died two decades ago, now the police have morphed into a street army where anyone not a cop is a potential threat to be neutralized.

:goodpost:

9 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Let's cut to the chase. Your posts here make it clear you have pathological issues with all authority figures.

How so Steve? What I posted is historical fact, easily researched. Your response makes no sense and is akin to, "Hey....what's that over there..." being shouted during a game of three card monty.

wtf is all this squabbling about^^^  start another fuckin thread , entitle it -  " I dont agree with you , Because"  

Btw... My across the street neighbour died  yesterday. Mean old bastard , 84 yrs old , one of those " Gran Torino "  type old codgers , but i'll miss him. He once called my dog a shit machine LOL 

On 6/20/2017 at 11:09 AM, IpMan said:

I agree with you IpMan

2 hours ago, greengrass said:

wtf is all this squabbling about^^^  start another fuckin thread , entitle it -  " I dont agree with you , Because"  

Btw... My across the street neighbour died  yesterday. Mean old bastard , 84 yrs old , one of those " Gran Torino "  type old codgers , but i'll miss him. He once called my dog a shit machine LOL 

I'm sorry about your neighbor greengrass.. 

20 minutes ago, the chase said:

I'm sorry about your neighbor greengrass.. 

Thanks man , one of a kinds are running out. 

3 minutes ago, greengrass said:

Thanks man , one of a kinds are running out. 

They sure are. 

3 hours ago, greengrass said:

So sorry to hear of the passing of your neighbor Green. Look at it this way, maybe Steve will move in and restore the balance.

2 hours ago, IpMan said:

So sorry to hear of the passing of your neighbor Green. Look at it this way, maybe Steve will move in and restore the balance.

I'm your Huckleberry. He did say he was running out of one of a kinds.