Maureeny Wishfull LP - how to teii if it's OG or a re?

Pb!

I know a little about this mysterious release; It is purported to be a 300-copy only release from 1968 but is widely considered to actually be from the early 80's. I also know there was a 'pirate' edition that came out in the late 80's. Supposedly the original has a glossy sleeve. I noticed the copies I've seen online show two different labels.

So the question is, is this the original:

372493b.jpg

Or it it this?John+Williams+Album+Label.jpg

• 4 months later...

I lived next door to John in 1967 and helped finance the printing and pressing of the 300 mono albums. This link tells a pretty acurate story apart from the release date which I recall being early 70's, since I didn't have any money in 1968! http://findingzoso.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/pageia-obscura-maureeny-wishful.html

The date of course could refer to the original recording onto tape. John had other work on a separate master tape both of which were stolen but only one got returned.

He made a couple of singles which didn't set the world on fire but "She's Just Like a Woman" did get banned by the BBC because of the lyrics "... she looks pretty easy to lay"! I don't think it would cause a blink nowadays. He bowed out of the music industry in the late seventies.

As for the label - i just checked my copy, definitely one of the original 300, and it is the one with the trees is the original design. Interestingly the blog i refer to above has the bootleg label!

The cover should be glossy and was designed by John's brother Brian, fantastic artist!

The whole album is on youtube. Brings back happy memories of a bygone time.

Thanks for the additional info. The release date has always been unconfirmed, but it's nice to know that it was after 1968. I believe that the recording date was much ealier, possibly as early as mid-1965.

Did John really continue his career into the '70s? If so, what did he do? Was he in a band or did he do solo acoustic/coffeehouse material? What did he do after he left the business?

We have been trying to calculate a more acurate date and we worked out it must have been 1972, possibly 73 but all things we can remember point to 72. As I mentioned earlier I didn't have the money to help before then.

Due to geography we lost touch the year following the pressing of the album, however a mutual friend who lived near to him kept me updated with the latter career info i've passed on here

As to what John did after he gave up on the music industry I think is private and don't feel it is down to me to divulge, save as to say, and as far as i know he had a long and happy career.

Wait...so this is neither the John Williams of film score("Jaws", "Star Wars") fame nor the classical guitarist John Williams? 'Cause that's the first thing I thought when I saw the name John Williams on the record label. Looks like I'll have to add another record to my list of things to hunt for at my visits to the record stores. Thanks.

I forgot about this thread so I am happy to get the information about it. I won one on Ebay back in the pre-Paypal days for a ridiculously low price (like 15 pounds) but the seller refused to sell it.

As to what John did after he gave up on the music industry I think is private and don't feel it is down to me to divulge, save as to say, and as far as i know he had a long and happy career.

Had...past tense. Is John Williams deceased?

• 3 years later...

John Williams is alive and well and still playing live occasionally. TOR Records released a 7" single by him in 2015 called "Train" - the B side remains a mystery, it was on the same acetate and sounds like early Floyd meets the Bonzos. Great record and well worth checking out. We released another 7" at the same time by a band called Spell - Dave King, the guitar player from Spell plays guitar on Train. All the tracks were recorded at Shield Studios, Kettering around 1968. I still have the acetates. The Maureeny Wishfull album was a private pressing released in 1968 as a mono only pressing. Original Moonshine Music label are black/white with an outline of a tree and castle. The album features Jimmy Page and Big Jim Sullivan. I have two copies, both signed by John. He was in another band called Tomorrow's People and we are currently looking for the original recordings. John quit the music business around 1970 and worked in the private sector. He has made new recordings in the past few years and they are exceptional. Chris McGranaghan - TOR Records, July 2017. 

JW_01_FRONTNEW.jpg

spellfront.jpg

spellpicture.jpg

jw1.jpg

moonshine.jpg

johnwilliamsrearcompleted.jpg

jwilliams.jpg

Archived