>Stairway To Heaven lovers<

Blue_Soul

Stairway is the best, a classic..I was lucky enough to be one of the first to hear it performed live in concert and I remember Robert Plant saying it was the best song he'd had the pleasure to be associated with.. for me the song has it all MAGIC...

It is simply the most beautifully constructed masterpiece of a song. John Bonham's entrance into the song gives me chills. Jimmy Page's riff still gives me the chills when I hear it. Robert Plant's final escalating vocals gives me the chills.

Stairway To Heaven is my ringtone and my ringback tone on my cell phone. I get phone calls from people who just call me simply to hear the riff (that's where the ringback and ringtone starts)

Back in 1971 when it was overplayed I used to turn it off when it came on the radio. Not now. I listen and love every version-live , acoustic with no vocals, and the studio version. It's wonderful.

I agree that the solo is one of the best things about STH... if not the best. But I love every part of the song; if someone played them seperately to me before I knew the song I surely would have said "It can't be just one song", but everything in this song fits together so perfectly imo. I still cannot comprehend how great STH really is, and I agree it also gives me chills every time I hear it.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple memories from the 70's (of the few memories that survived): Yes, they really did put signs up in the music stores, along the guitar racks, asking 'please don't play Stairway to Heaven' or something to that effect. Every kid that walked into a guitar shop for years would pick up a guitar and start play STH (yes, me included). I can imagine it would drive the clerks crazy, but when you think about it, what other song has had that impact on a generation. You didn't see signs saying 'please don't play 'Light My Fire' or 'please don't play 'Pinball Wizard'. Not to diss those songs at all, but to me that said a lot. Also, I remember a local FM station, I think it was Q107, one day announced 'geez, they've locked us out of the record library and all we have is this copy of STH' and they actually played STH over and over again for 24 hrs. It was hilarious waiting to hear how they were going to introduce the 'next' song.

Stairway to Heaven? One of my favorites, you betcha.

It's the first Zeppelin song I ever heard, at a dance in '72 or '73 when I was in 7th grade. From then on, it became the official "last dance", and you HAD to find someone to dance with to it. I felt it was overplayed on the radio, but that didn't change my feelings about it. I often say it's my paradox song, because while I feel it's absolutely the GREATEST rock song ever, it's not necessarily my favorite Zeppelin song. But because I DON'T listen to classic rock stations, with their 2-fer-Tuesdays and "Get The Led Out"s, I still love hearing it. If I'm in the car I crank it up, sit in my parking spot before getting out until it's over, air-drum, the whole bit. It still holds all the magic and power (if not more), and I think I appreciate it more each time I hear it.

I do think some people are pretentious when it comes to music in general. The people that LOVED Smells Like Teen Spirit before it hit big, become the ones who ridicule people for liking it later on, because it's not cool to like a song/group/genre once it has mainstreamed. And there are the same "hipper-than-thou" fans within the Zeppelin fanbase as well, I'm sure. There's always someone who has to be a little more "inside" or "in the know" than us regular folk, and by claiming STH is (insert any/all of the OPs reasons stated), they probably feel they are further establishing their elitism in all things Zeppelin. I've certainly observed it in music enthusiasts in general.

Again, I think it's the greatest song in history, but if I were to be asked "what ONE Zeppelin song would you like to hear THIS MINUTE?" 9 times out of 10 I'd say Achilles' Last Stand.

Paradox. :lolo:

It's the first Zeppelin song I ever heard, at a dance in '72 or '73 when I was in 7th grade. From then on, it became the official "last dance", and you HAD to find someone to dance with to it. I felt it was overplayed on the radio, but that didn't change my feelings about it. I often say it's my paradox song, because while I feel it's absolutely the GREATEST rock song ever, it's not necessarily my favorite Zeppelin song. But because I DON'T listen to classic rock stations, with their 2-fer-Tuesdays and "Get The Led Out"s, I still love hearing it. If I'm in the car I crank it up, sit in my parking spot before getting out until it's over, air-drum, the whole bit. It still holds all the magic and power (if not more), and I think I appreciate it more each time I hear it.

I do think some people are pretentious when it comes to music in general. The people that LOVED Smells Like Teen Spirit before it hit big, become the ones who ridicule people for liking it later on, because it's not cool to like a song/group/genre once it has mainstreamed. And there are the same "hipper-than-thou" fans within the Zeppelin fanbase as well, I'm sure. There's always someone who has to be a little more "inside" or "in the know" than us regular folk, and by claiming STH is (insert any/all of the OPs reasons stated), they probably feel they are further establishing their elitism in all things Zeppelin. I've certainly observed it in music enthusiasts in general.

Again, I think it's the greatest song in history, but if I were to be asked "what ONE Zeppelin song would you like to hear THIS MINUTE?" 9 times out of 10 I'd say Achilles' Last Stand.

Paradox. :lolo:

I agree, the greatest song doesn't necessarily have to be your favorite. However for me STH is their greatest and my favorite song :) But D'Yer Mak'er for example is one of my favorites but I really don't think it's one of their best, they have a lot of songs which are way better, so I get what you mean. I also agree with what you said about those elitist fans, I also think this is a common reason not to like Stairway, but of course there are a lot of other reasons as I stated in one of my former posts. Anyways, I like it to be one of the "regular folks", there's nothing wrong about that for me and if that's what it takes to be "elitist", I'm glad not to be one of them B)

• 4 weeks later...

It's my favourite song ever.

How to deflate a hater/hipsters argument.

1.If it's overplayed,don't listen to the radio,you have free-will right?So put on whatever album you feel like!I NEVER listen to the radio because i have free-will.

2.It's my first Zep song ever,if it wasn't for this,i would have never known Zep,and THAT,would a be tragedy indeed.

3.It's 8 mins long,has an extended intro,4 verses,a massive crescendo,an accoustic section,3 recorders,late-entering drums,a 12-string guitar,a 50-second solo and an extremely heavy climax,does this sound like a song that has any chance of being played on FM radio?But it did,Thst's cool.

4.When was the last time you wrote a worldwide smash song without releasing it as a single?

5.It Is not the same repetitive song live,Extended solo,vocal Ad libs,jamming at the end,it wasn't repetitive (Kashmir was,same chord progression,verse,chorus,break,and not even a solo to break the monotony,and i LOVE IT! :thumbsup: )

6.Uncool?Only "Posers" like it?Jimmy Page loves it!

7.It's well written,slow accoustic,mellow and then it builds up brilliantly!

8.Some of Plant's best lyrics.

9.Hating it is closed minded,an open minded fan ideally has listened to,and loves every Zep song (And likes LZ3)

10.Why should i give a blue perpendicular monkey's what you think of it?I like it and we (I guess) All love Zeppelin,so just get on with your life,i don't want a fight :duel:

I think the best way to approach it is trying to picture (or for those who could remember it) 1971 when NO-ONE HAD HEARD IT BEFORE. The strength of the song was back then, all wrapped up. To be blown away by the freshness of its first playing, and its rise.

Page co-wrote an incredible song to perform the bands virtuosity and incredible power. In 1971 they were riding high and taking many risks (noted in Japan's tour of 1971).

To me the power of the song wained in 1973, it became less 'classical' and more 'bluesy', with the tempo/energy slowing dramatically. It's obvious to me Plant believed less in the lyrics and found it harder to sing mentally and physically, and it petered out into a dinosaurs anthem.

The best performances are in 1971 without a shadow of doubt (this has been discussed in another thread somewhere), when it hit audiences unexpected. As a guitarist I find it incredibly enjoying to play, and had a chance to play it in a band. Listening also to the recordings of the songs writing/ studio rehearsals, it's evident they believe they have created a special song - interestingly it seems Plant was playing rhythm electric guitar under the solo (a guitar part like Ronson's in Ziggy Stardust)

1.If it's overplayed,don't listen to the radio,you have free-will right?So put on whatever album you feel like!

:thumbsup:

2.It's my first Zep song ever,if it wasn't for this,i would have never known Zep,and THAT,would a be tragedy indeed.

That's exactly how it was for me, too :) I'm still so thankful for this song because if it didn't exist I would most likely still have no clue about LZ.

6.Uncool?Only "Posers" like it?Jimmy Page loves it!

I think LZ fans don't necessarily have to agree with the band in every single point but I know what you mean, if loving the song makes you a "poser" or "uncool", who cares? -_-

7.It's well written,slow accoustic,mellow and then it builds up brilliantly!

Definitely agree on that :wub:

9.Hating it is closed minded,an open minded fan ideally has listened to,and loves every Zep song (And likes LZ3)

That's the only point I have to disagree with you. It's not wrong to have a different opinion, like not liking the song, it's just wrong to bash people for either liking or disliking it. I love every LZ song, but there's one I don't like and I don't think that makes me closed-minded. I would rather say, an open-minded fan gives every song a chance and judges them objectively without regarding popularity, reputation or whatever.

10.Why should i give a blue perpendicular monkey's what you think of it?I like it and we (I guess) All love Zeppelin,so just get on with your life,i don't want a fight :duel:

Exactly, what's important is what you think about the song and if you love it, don't give a damn about what other people say about it. :)

Best song ever. I wish that it were played even more on the radio. I think that part of the reason that it has been scorned upon over the years is because the way that Plant himself has treated it. He has said that it is a albatros around his neck, that he is tired of it, and on the few ocasions that he has reformed with LZ he makes a big deal about if he will perform it or not. Its like he is ashamed of being part of the most popular rock song of all time, I don't get it.

I think there are many Zep songs a lot better than STH. Sure, I like it, but the only bits I find amazing are the acoustic intro (the recorder ruins it for me) and then the section from "If there's a bustle in your hedgerow" up until just before "and as we wind on down the road..."

And really, truly amazing is "Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow/And did you know/Your stairway lies on the whisperin' wind". -_-

I do tend to be careful about preaching about the quality of the song, tho', cos most people I know who go on about how great it is have only ever heard Whole Lotta Love, Black Dog, STH, Achilles, etc. and don't really like the band.

• 4 weeks later...

STH was the song that first made me say hey what's this! although it was not the first zep song I'd heard.

Having said that I put it shoulder to shoulder with this song the last one I want to hear when I enter the arena for the next Zeppelin show.

I think it is like the chant of your favorite sports team preparing for the biggest game of the year lol

http://rhino.edgeboss.net/download/rhino/l...raphy/wll97.mov

Stairway to Heaven is my fav Led's song...it's...amazing...wonderful...I just get out of this world when I listen to it!...maybe that's way I love it...I mean...the song himself is amazing...the guitar and all that...but what I really like, is that it is one of the small number of songs that can make me "feel my spirit" if you know what I mean..it's a very spiritual and profunded song... it's mystic... it's magic...

I don't know..I just love it!

Stairway to Heaven is the greatest song in rock history. Period. It will never be equalled, and certainly never surpassed.

I got into Zeppelin from this song. I think a lot of people did. What an incredible piece of musical creation, the hauntingly beautiful opening, building up momentum and pace, finishing in a blistering crescendo of classic acid rock, topped up with one of the best guitar solos ever. Not for it's technical difficulty, but the feeling, the emotion, the classic acid/psychadelic feel that is just from another world.

Ooh la la, as the French would say.

Archived