2013 RECORD STORE DAY APRIL 20

Strider

April 20 is not only Earth Day and the pot-smokers' holiday '4/20', but also Record Store Day nationwide across the U.S.A. This is my kind of Retail Therapy and after the past week, I could use some therapy.

Here's the main website, where you can search for participating stores in your area and see various videos relating to the event: http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home

Here is a downloadable PDF that lists every special release that will be on sale tomorrow:

http://download.recordstoreday.com/free/RSD_2013_RELEASES_WEBSITE.pdf

I will be hitting as many record stores as I can tomorrow: High Fidelity, Rockaway, Counterpoint, Canterbury's, and of course, Amoeba's, where they will have special guest dj's spinning in the store during the day, including Jeff McDonald from Redd Kross and Lucinda Williams.

TypeO, you should know that there will be a special coloured vinyl 7" with Deep Purple's original and Type-O Negative's cover version of "Highway Star" on each side.

Record Store Day Video Preview #1:

Record Store Day Video Preview #2:

^^haha funny I just got an email from Newbury Comics. I will be going to one near me tomorrow as well.

AND wishing my good friend Billy a very happy birthday!!!!

Happy Record store and 4/20 everyone!!'

:)

I was just looking for store in my area earlier today. I may hit the 2 in Silver Spring tomorrow.

And not that I want to nitpick, but Earth Day is the 22nd. I only remember this because it's my friend Liz's birthday :)

I was just looking for store in my area earlier today. I may hit the 2 in Silver Spring tomorrow.

And not that I want to nitpick, but Earth Day is the 22nd. I only remember this because it's my friend Liz's birthday :)

Don't think twice about correcting me, E. When I'm wrong, I'm wrong, and it helps everyone to have the correct information. Hope you find some goodies tomorrow.

Strider,

Thanks for this well constructed, informative post :goodpost: . I have now discovered some record stores here in Edinburgh which I didn't know existed (oops!).

April 20 is not only Earth Day and the pot-smokers' holiday '4/20', but also Record Store Day nationwide across the U.S.A. This is my kind of Retail Therapy and after the past week, I could use some therapy.

I heard a rumour that Robyn Hitchcock will play a free gig as part of Record Store Day in London's Berwick Street.

That sounds like a good possibility, as there is a special Robyn Hitchcock release for today.

So far, I have picked up the REM Live in Greensboro EP, the Flaming Lips "Zaireeka" vinyl box set, the Cure's "Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me" red vinyl, and the first four Orange Juice albums on vinyl.

I am also excited for a friend who found the Led Zeppelin "Earl's Court" double-album on green vinyl. The May 24, 1975 show.

We had a fun midday music session in Inverness (Scotland, not California) at Imperial Music, with a local band playing some acoustic tunes (yay for Sara Bills and the Hasbeens).

Didn't buy any RSD special editions as nothing really caught my eye - or probably had already been sold. But we did buy some new(ish) wax: Ali Farka Touré & Toumani Diabaté's final LP (sublime), the Tinariwen 2009 LP (recorded in my former neighbour's brother's studio in France), a 2nd hand Fats Waller LP with 1935 improv tracks (jazz hands everybody) and - and - and ooh I think I need to take a breath. A good day.

I got as follows at my local(ish) record store:

Jimi Hendrix - Hey Joe b/w Stone Free 7" single

Bob Dylan - Wigwam b/w Thirsty Boots 7" single

Wings - Maybe I'm Amazed 12" single

I wanted to get Cream Live at the Royal Albert Hall, but people in front of me in the line bought all the copies. I was curious, so, after I had gathered up my purchases, I asked one of the employees how much the Cream record was. It was $112. For one album. Granted, it was three records with cream colored vinyl, but that is still an exorbitant price.

Arrived at Sister Ray about half an hour before it opened at 8am (I've not got the greatest sense of direction), and there were already about 300 people in the queue!

I doubled back and joined the queue at Phonica, which opened an hour later, picked up the Beefheart & Floyd I wanted, then went up to Ray's Jazz in Foyles for John Coltrane and Miles Davis....they also very conveniently had Davy Graham, which I was expecting to have to search, or at least queue, for. The Cream album did look pretty cool, but I think I spent quite enough on Saturday.

I was about number 20 in the queue at Phonica; they let 3 or 4 in at a time...and within 5 minutes they were already crossing stuff off the list on the wall outside!

Congratulations to whoever designed the Beefheart album. This has to be a strong contender for worst/most boring album cover ever. Trout Mask Replica it ain't.

April 20 is not only Earth Day and the pot-smokers' holiday '4/20', but also Record Store Day nationwide across the U.S.A.

I may be mistaken but this is the first time I see RSD being observed with such enthusiasm in places other than the United States, so far I've seen huge advertising campaigns in places like New Zealand, the United Kingdom and Spain, it appears as though the event is gaining global notoriety when in the past, it is my personal impression, was only an American affair.

I just noticed this video of Robyn Hithcock playing in Berwick Street as part of RSD, he's playing one of the songs from 2006's Ole Tarantula.

One of the places I would have wanted to be, yesterday, is Seattle, Easy Street Records always has cool musicians on-site as RSD ambassadors, in 2011 they had Peter Buck signing copies of Collapse into Now, this year they had Barrett Martin and Mike McCready. To mark the occasion, this huge mural of Mad Season was commissioned.

Archived