"Do It" jam in D&C question.

Wolfman

Around the 18:18 part of D&C is what I call the "Do It" jam (which is one of my favorite overall jams by Zeppelin). One of my friends claims this is a snippet of another song. Anyone know the name of the song he thinks it comes from or is this an original jam by the boys?

It was a jam developed over 1970-1973 that is usually called the "funky blues break". It happens after the first part of the fast solo after the bow segment is over. Bonzo then would lay down a funky beat, with Jones following. In due course, this part would feature bits of the "Theme from 'Shaft'"(in 1971) and "The Crunge"(1972).

The chords that Jimmy vamps during this segment aren't that unusual but I don't think they come from an existing song. I have heard a lot of blues and funk in my time and I've yet to hear a song that has a part that reminds me of this bit in D & C. So, I think in this case, the funky jam is fairly original.

It was always definitely one of my favourite parts of any live Dazed.

I think after "do-it" there is a funky climb into the Jimi Hendrixy' E7th or E9th if I recall.....been a while...

maybe it's been mentioned elsewhere around here, but the live D&C part where they go to the Em and C chords of.."if you going to SanFrancisco..." is probably what got them to eventually write the breakdowns in Achilles Last stand....just my theory....I don;t think they have ever said it but it makes sense......ciao Fishy

maybe it's been mentioned elsewhere around here, but the live D&C part where they go to the Em and C chords of.."if you going to SanFrancisco..." is probably what got them to eventually write the breakdowns in Achilles Last stand....just my theory....I don;t think they have ever said it but it makes sense......ciao Fishy

I've seen that theory pop up before -- and I don't see how you can argue against it, seeing as that's clearly the case.

• 3 weeks later...

I never knew this. What shows?

Listen to most "Dazed and Confused" performances on the 1972 tour and you'll hear the "Walter's Walk" jam...it's on the official "How the West Was Won" release featuring the D & C from June 25, 1972 at the LA Forum.

All D & Cs from late 1972 to 1975 feature the chord progression that would eventually be used in "Achilles Last Stand"...it's used in the "San Francisco/Woodstock" part just before the bow solo.

This is one reason why D & C was dropped from the set after 1975.

My favourite part is the Sanfrancisco thing. It has always been. And in the SRTS film, I totaly love the part when camera looks only at Bonzo and JPJ just before that part... just wonderfull.

starts at 5:40. And the 6:03 moment always elicits a smile on my face. Love it!!! This is also how I look at my drummer when we play... NO? Not? And why not? You could play it, cmon!!! :D. Great moment...

Archived