Carrying a Guitar Increases Your Chances of a Date by a Third!

kenog

This article is from the UK Daily Mail.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2320752/Music-really-food-love-French-scientists-carrying-guitar-increases-chance-getting-date-third.html#ixzz2Sds494RJ

By Victoria Woollaston

PUBLISHED: 16:00, 7 May 2013

Musicians really ARE sexier: Scientists find that carrying a guitar increases your chance of getting a date by a third. Women are 31% more likely to give their number to a man carrying a guitar

Sporty-looking men were the least popular during the French study getting numbers in only 9% of cases. Carrying a guitar can increase the chances of you getting a date by a third, according to a study by researchers from the University of South Brittany.

The study found that women were 31% more likely to give their number to a man carrying a guitar - double the amount of people who would give their number to the same man when he was empty-handed. But this technique only works if your a man, women are not seen any more or less attractive if they carry a musical instrument.

The study was led by Professor Nicolas Gueguen, a researcher in behavioural sciences at the University. Gueguen hired a 20-year-old man to approach 300 women aged between 18 and 22 in a shopping centre in Brittany. The man told each girl that they were 'really pretty' and asked for her phone number so they could arrange a date. For the first 100 women he was holding a sports bag.

For the next 100 women he approached them holding a guitar case. And for the final 100 women, the man asked them for their number without anything in his hands. When the actor was carrying the guitar case, 31% of the women gave them his number. When he was carrying nothing, 14% of the women gave them his number. The biggest turn off for the women was when he was carrying the sports bag, which had a success rate of only 9%.

Gueguen's findings mirror those from a study carried out by the University of Tel Aviv and Ben Gurion University last year. In the Israeli study, 100 single women were sent Facebook friend requests with a message that said: 'I like your photo'. Half of the respondents were sent a request by a man seen strumming a guitar in his profile picture. The other half were sent a request from the same person, but this time he was empty handed. Only five (10%) of the 50 women accepted the request, or replied to the message sent by the empty-handed man. Yet 28% accepted the request, or replied to the message sent by the man holding a guitar.

The French researchers attribute these findings to the fact that playing a musical instrument is a sign that the man is intelligent, can learn, or is willing to learn, new skills and has independent hobbies. They believe there may also be a link between how musicans are portrayed in the media, and that holding a guitar is a sign of wealth and status.

The team from the University of South Brittany also wanted to test whether the same theory was true when it came to female musicians. Gueguen's team repeated the Israeli study, but used females to send the friend requests. He found there was no difference in the response rate of the men she sent requests to whether she was holding a guitar or not. This suggests that its only women who consider playing an instrument to be an attractive trait.

My husband started playing guitar when he was 13-14 and he is now 33. He has an associates degree in music he doesn't really even use from M.I. I am very attracted to musicians (they are always creative and artsy and in my book, that's hot) and guys with long hair. My husband had both when I met him, so I can't say the guitar was not a factor in me agreeing to go on a date with him. Thankfully, I found other things I like about him also, so the guitar wasn't the only reason I stayed around....;)

My experiences have always been that the lead singer always got the girl...

As a guitar player I just had guys talking to me after a gig................................... about music! lol, "not that there is anything wrong with that"......

My experiences have always been that the lead singer always got the girl...

As a guitar player I just had guys talking to me after a gig................................... about music! lol, "not that there is anything wrong with that"......

Okay, then I will start carrying a microphone by now.

(or to do it more Spinal Tap wise....put a mike in my pants)

Okay, then I will start carrying a microphone by now.

(or to do it more Spinal Tap wise....put a mike in my pants)

lol!!!..Spinal Tap is a great movie! Every band should see it...Hey Res did you ever see "A Mighty Wind"?...cheers Fishy

• 1 year later...

Ha ha, lol! This is actually kind of funny. You know, speaking for myself, I really wouldn't know if the fact that I play the guitar increases my chances with the men or not.

Ha ha, I guess it's up to the guys, if they can appreciate a girl with musical skills.

I am a hobby musician, so are friends of mine (both male and female). I guess that makes it likely I might hook with a guy who plays in a band.........

Doesn't work for female musicians though - meh. :(

Lol! Why don't we ask the guys around here. Well guys, what do you think of female musicians?

How attractive is a woman, on stage, playing some cool guitar solos? Or would you give a lady carrying a guitarcase a second look?

Maaike

:console2: They only used guitars in their tests. Perhaps men are more drawn to women who carry violin or flute cases. Further research is needed, imo.

This is definitely true in my case. I feel drawn to artistic/creative/musical women, but not particularly to female guitarists. My last girlfriend was a talented pianist. My current girlfriend is a talented artist. I've never dated a guitarist.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived