Hey Hey What Can I Do

I'm sure this has been addressed before, so I welcome the link to an existing thread.. but has it ever really been discussed why this song was not released on LZIII or any other album? It really is such an amazing song, I'm curious about the decision process to exclude what may have been the best song of that bunch from that album, or any subsequent releases until the 4 CD collection.

Thanks...

I'm sure this has been addressed before, so I welcome the link to an existing thread.. but has it ever really been discussed why this song was not released on LZIII or any other album? It really is such an amazing song, I'm curious about the decision process to exclude what may have been the best song of that bunch from that album, or any subsequent releases until the 4 CD collection.

Thanks...

It was the B -side of Immigrant Song (1970)and was also on the album "the New Age of Atlantic"(1972), so though I understand the basis of your question, it was in fact released by the band well before the 4CD collection.

Why did Hats Off to (Roy) Harper make it over Hey Hey, What Can I Do?

I've always felt that LZIII should have ended with HHWCID because of the strange way the song ends. It would have been perfect for the formula of one of my favorite Zep albums. HOTRH is more of an outtake song imo.

Why did Hats Off to (Roy) Harper make it over Hey Hey, What Can I Do?

I actually think the band made the right decision. Hats Off to (Roy) Harper was a tribute to Roy Harper. They could've swapped it with Hey Hey but what's the point in releasing a tribute song on a B-side to a single?

I don't think its ever been officially confirmed but my guess was that it was originally recorded to be the bands first UK single. I remember someone connected with the band stated they'd recorded a song with that in mind and Hey Hey What Can I Do sounds more "pop singlish" than anything else they recorded in that era. If Grant convinced them it was better not to release any singles to retain the album only mystique then it probabley ended up just used in Japan and then stuck in the vault.

Its a great track but honiestly I can see why, its just so different to typical Zep that I'm not sure I can see it fitting on any of their albums. LZ 3 for example might have been semi acoustic but those tracks are not really catchy pop.

It's just a great song. I love the melody, the mix of instruments, Bonham's drums (as usual), and it is definitely one of my absolute favorite vocal performances. To me, it was recorded right at the apex vocally with Robert, where he could hit those high notes with absolute purity and power, while at the same time combining a very pure vocal run that is more remniscient of his later vocal smoothness, a la the HoneyDrippers. A perfect mix of the best of both worlds, just an awesome song. I love it so.

Agreed! HHWCID is a damn good song about a man in a highly dysfunctional relationship and one of my all time favorite Zep tunes. I bought a cd that had HHWCID and Immigrant Song on it in a cardboard case in maybe 1999-2000. Still have it; here it is....

post-24991-0-18703300-1368581863_thumb.j

I really like the fact that it wasn't on the album, it made it more exciting to buy the New age of Atlantic. Having that on was like buying a Zep album in it's own way. Nothing wrong with Hats off cos it fits so well into the 3rd album.

Remember how wild the crowd went when they (Jimmy and Robert) played it at the Orlando '95 show? Great song, it's the opener on an acoustic Zep disc I made for the car - perfect! My father had the original single in his collection I inherited, along with a mono version single of WLL/LLM. :stereo:

It's just a great song. I love the melody, the mix of instruments, Bonham's drums (as usual), and it is definitely one of my absolute favorite vocal performances. To me, it was recorded right at the apex vocally with Robert, where he could hit those high notes with absolute purity and power, while at the same time combining a very pure vocal run that is more remniscient of his later vocal smoothness, a la the HoneyDrippers. A perfect mix of the best of both worlds, just an awesome song. I love it so.

Yes, it's very cool that we both share that same show and memory.. that song was one of the absolute highlights of the entire show for me. I remember busily writing down each song as it was being played so I could tell my friends the set list later that night.

Remember how wild the crowd went when they (Jimmy and Robert) played it at the Orlando '95 show? Great song, it's the opener on an acoustic Zep disc I made for the car - perfect! My father had the original single in his collection I inherited, along with a mono version single of WLL/LLM. :stereo:

Has anyone heard the Hootie and the Blowfish version of HHWCID? It gives the original a run for it's money!

Just goes to show how strong zep were at the time that they could leave quality songs like that and Poor Tom off the third album.

I'm not a Hootie hater by any stretch.. but for me, this song is so uniquely defined by Robert's vocals that I would struggle to really appreciate any alternate version on the same level.. or anywhere close.

Hootie stays true to the song, but there is only one version of this song that works for me.

Has anyone heard the Hootie and the Blowfish version of HHWCID? It gives the original a run for it's money!

Just goes to show how strong zep were at the time that they could leave quality songs like that and Poor Tom off the third album.

I personally don't like HOTRH at all. In fact I didn't even include it when uploading LZIII on my iPod. I let it play through when I'm listening on vinyl, but I've always looked at it as a throwaway track. Experimental blues gone ...bleh. Agreed HHWCID is a good song that would have made a better inclusion to the initial record.

Odd opinions in here. Hootie gives nothing a run for anything, sorry.

Hats Off i guess you just have to be a blues musician to appreciate is what i've gathered from opinions.

I'm not a blues musician and I love it. :)

I think the unsung hero on HHWCID is Mr. Jones. The bass lines that run while Jimmy is mainly playing rhythm chords are incredible, and they add so much to the greatness of the song. Of course, the mandolin is always a nice addition as well. I think that is why I'm not quite as fond of the live versions that Robert & JImmy played in the 90s, as much as I loved hearing it in concert, is that they lacked Jonesy and Bonzo... both notable absences. The original studio track is just absolutely phenomenal.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived