Oh man, where to begin...the solo from "Ten Years Gone" from the 1979 Copenhagen rehearsal shows is certainly awesome, not so much in its technicality or blazing speed, but more in the raw emotion that Jimmy is so good at throwing down. Jimmy's cover of Chopin's "Prelude" from the ARMS shows also has this same emotional quality, as well as his "Since I've Been Loving You" from the 95/98 tours. For ripping fast Jimmy Page, "As Long as I Have you" from almost any show pre-1970 stands out, almost any version of "Achillies Last Stand" is really good, "The Song Remains the Same" from the Millard Tapes is ridiculous, and so isn't "Live in Peace" from the Firm's second album "Mean Business." However, my absolute favorite Jimmy solo will always be the "Stairway" solo from TSRTS. That solo is hands down the best guitar solo I have ever heard.

How about Celebration Day live in Japan 09/29/71. Page uses the double neck 12 string for the lengthy solo at the end; what a great solo! It sounds even "progressive" in style in places; extremely fluid; inventive; not even one flubbed note; amn very spirited, even joyful. I never here anyone mention this solo, but check it out. He ends the solo with some pull-off flourishes that are a precursor to the 12 string solo from TSRTS (from TSRTS movie). Other choices: NQ from TSRTS

How about Celebration Day live in Japan 09/29/71. Page uses the double neck 12 string for the lengthy solo at the end; what a great solo! It sounds even "progressive" in style in places; extremely fluid; inventive; not even one flubbed note; amn very spirited, even joyful. I never here anyone mention this solo, but check it out. He ends the solo with some pull-off flourishes that are a precursor to the 12 string solo from TSRTS (from TSRTS movie). Other choices: NQ from TSRTS

This solo is mint. Page sounds ecstatic and doesn't really seem to want end it. Great choice!

Since you're not limiting the choice to just with Zep, my favorite is Page's BIGLY solo 07/07/98 in Washington DC. This is on video, but a little harder to find than some other shows. Page plays GREAT on this tour; IMHO the best before or since Zep ended. But of all the different BIGLY extended solos he plays on this tour, this one will blow you away, it's that perfect and good. EVERY wanker who says "Page couldn't play anymore after 1975" should be forced to watch this solo several times...and then they will REPENT! It's that amazing. (it may be possible to track down on Youtube, but I don't have time to ). He also plays amazing solos in the same show for NQ (close in spirit to 1973); HB; and HMMT. A must have.

Studio: Hearbreaker..AFTER the band comes back in. As great as the "solo" is I always thought what he did after that was better.

Live: No Quarter from the original TSRTS soundtrack. The editing on the re-release just doesn't flow right for me.

Wow, what a great thought provoking question. I've never actually compared his solos to each other. I'm not the bootleg connoisseur that some here are, but I've always liked the Communication Breakdown solo on LZ I for the little bit he plays at the very end of the solo, that moment just always catches my attention. I also like the Dazed and Confused from the Yardbirds when they were on the French TV show.

Among my favorites:

Dazed and Confused Studio

Since I've Been Loving You - TSRTS

I Can't Quit You Babe - RAH

These three are also among my favorites. I also consider all the lead guitar work on TSRTS (studio version) as some of Page's finest soloing.

I've always liked the solo from Immigrant Song on "How the West Was Won." IIRC, it's from a 1972 concert inLong Beach, California. It's not particularly long but it's very atmospheric. Jimmy Page was probably at his peak as a guitar player at the time.

Archived