• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I think that the Outrider tour was better than the album. The material...it just wasn't there, at least, not in my opinion. There's nothing particularly memorable about it, unfortunately.

Like I said, though, the 1988 tour was fabulous.

Absolutely, positively agree 150%!!! Seeing that the tour was shortly after the Atlantic Records 40th debacle, there were many people that stayed away - the show in my town was scheduled for an Arena - 12,000 tickets to be sold - but was moved to a 2,500 seat auditorium. But Jimmy was on fire that night and most of that tour. It's a shame that the Arizona show was filmed for MTV because his playing that night had some rough spots in it (Prelude)... But I have plenty of other shows that prove how amazing he was in 1988.

Great opening for a show too... Who's To Blame just exploded, Prelude brought things down a bit - in a good and mellow way - then Over The Hills blew everyone away! Tear Down The Walls was a great Firm song to play and when he did In My Time Of Dying, I think everyone there about died from a heart attack! Also, I really loved the acoustic Blues Anthem, which was a mini-acoustic set before he then played the main lead on electric, and Custard Pie with a Black Dog tease was very cool.

Outrider as an album is not bad - but that tour was smoking! Does anyone know if Jimmy recorded anything from that tour? An official, live release would be welcomed... even if he just released it on his website for the die-hards.

Robert's recent comment, "I feel for the guy [Jimmy]. He knows he's got the headlines if he wants them. But I don't know what he's trying to do. So I feel slightly disappointed and baffled." It's a bit pinched but it echoes my opinion of Outrider and the man behind it at the time of release.

Robert's recent comment, "I feel for the guy [Jimmy]. He knows he's got the headlines if he wants them. But I don't know what he's trying to do. So I feel slightly disappointed and baffled." It's a bit pinched but it echoes my opinion of Outrider and the man behind it at the time of release.

I gather that you were disappointed in the Outrider album but what baffled you about it? Let me put it this way: What would you have preferred Page do in its stead in 1987? What would you have wanted to hear on a Jimmy Page album circa 1987?

Does anyone know if Jimmy recorded anything from that tour?

The show at Hara Arena in Dayton, OH on 10/21/88 was professionally recorded by Westwood One for airing on their radio network. Though an incomplete source, the sound quality of that program is a 10 and it does circulate on bootlegs.

The show at Hara Arena in Dayton, OH on 10/21/88 was professionally recorded by Westwood One for airing on their radio network. Though an incomplete source, the sound quality of that program is a 10 and it does circulate on bootlegs.

I actually taped that off the radio, I think it was King Biscuit or one of these syndicated deals. I still have that cassette somewhere, but where would I play it? :-). Haven't had a car with a cassette player in a long time!

Great show.

I actually taped that off the radio, I think it was King Biscuit or one of these syndicated deals. I still have that cassette somewhere, but where would I play it? :-). Haven't had a car with a cassette player in a long time!

Great show.

If I recall correctly it was for Westwood One presents Superstars In Concert. I have an advertisement for it around here somewhere.

Hi Steve

You would be the expert on this - I have I believe this box set - it is three albums, with a set list, from Westwood One, indicating Jimmy Page Outrider tour recorded live for broadcast on Nov. 25, 1988. But does not give a venue or date of the concert. The quality is incredible. Supposedly these lps were played once and were supposed to be returned to Westwood One. Is this the same concert as Dayton on Oct. 21? I can't find anything on eBay for this being sold. I found it at a record shop for $20 and it looked like it hadn't even been played!

Thanks!

Hello rosiet,

You've got it! That is the radio program I'm referring to and it was recorded live at Hara Arena in Dayton, OH on Oct 21, 1988.

Only $20.00? What a great deal you got too as this item traditionally sells for about $125.00 to $150.00 in EX/MT condition.

Thank you Steve!

Wow! Now I finally know what date it was recorded, and how much it might be worth. The quality is absolutely perfect. I would say it is in EX condition, but with the box being a bit worn at the corners. The vinyl in the original clear bags and is like no one ever touched it, other than perhaps the DJ who received it for that day's broadcast.

At the same shop, I also bought a Westwood One Robert Plant, 3 album box, recorded live at The Spectrum Philadelphia,

May 23, 1988. This was also in the same pristine condition, and was also $20. I don't think this would be worth as

much, since Plant doesn't seem to value as high, but the shop owner clearly did not know what he had!

Thank you for your help!

Boxes for Westwood One radio programs are fairly generic; it's the condition of the vinyl that ultimately establishes the value.

The Robert Plant concert has traditionally sold for $60.00-$75.00. That radio program was bootlegged as a double album later that summer ("Non Stop Go Tour 1988") but so far as I know the Page program surprisingly never surfaced on bootleg vinyl. When it was released as a bootleg cd (Emerald Eyes) in 1990 (and many times since) it was incomplete.

In fact, now I am wondering if the 3 LP set is the complete concert or not. It's possible, but normally the Westwood One concert recordings were edited down on those vinyl sets for the inclusion of commercials.

The songs in and of themselves are acceptable but, as with both albums by The Firm, would definitely benefit from remastering.

So it's a production issue. I'm surprised the lackluster production got past Page given his experience in that area. I wondered what happened?

Yeah, I have that in double CD format - titled: Jimmy Page - Past & Present. But it's incomplete. I was hoping for an entire show. Anyway, thanks for the input!

Herr Duck,

Thanks for asking - very cool and generous of you. :drinks:

Without dipping too deep into the hash pipe on my part, I would have been delighted with him sticking to instrumentals - by way of comparison I think the instrumentals on Outrider are MUCH more interesting than, say, Satriani's 'Surfing with the Alien' or Beck's 'Guitar Shop' (both released roughly around the same time period). The tracks that do have vocals sound very by-the-numbers, middle of the road 'rock' songs (on the first side of the album). As for side two, Chris Farlowe really sounds like he is doing a parody of a blues man...vocal black-face if you will - it's audibly insulting to my ears.

The aforementioned criticisms also guide what I find baffling about the album. I think I 'get' the idea of him trying to present a musical melange but to steal from the Aphorisms of Yogi Berra, the album's inconsistency is its only consistency. Res ipsa loquitur.

Steve

On that Westwood one set, there are loads of commercials. Here is the song list which surely must be much less than any bootlegs of the concert?

Who's to Blame

Prelude

Over the Hills And Far Away

Wanna Make Love

Writes of Winter

Tear Down the Walls

Emerald Eyes

Midnight Moonlight/White Summer/Black Mountain Side

In My Time of Dying

City Sirens/drum solo

Someone To Love

Prison Blues

The Chase/bow solo/Dazed And Confused

Wasting My Time

Blues Anthem

Custard Pie/Black Dog

Encore:

Train Kept A Rollin

Stairway to Heaven

How does that compare?

I've entered in red the content which does seem to be missing from the Westwood One Superstars In Concert program. What I should do now is edit the program with an audience recording of the concert that I have to present the complete show. If I recall correctly, with the exception of El Paso, TX there is an audience tape in circulation for every night of the tour.

Herr Duck,

Thanks for asking - very cool and generous of you. :drinks:

Without dipping too deep into the hash pipe on my part, I would have been delighted with him sticking to instrumentals - by way of comparison I think the instrumentals on Outrider are MUCH more interesting than, say, Satriani's 'Surfing with the Alien' or Beck's 'Guitar Shop' (both released roughly around the same time period). The tracks that do have vocals sound very by-the-numbers, middle of the road 'rock' songs (on the first side of the album). As for side two, Chris Farlowe really sounds like he is doing a parody of a blues man...vocal black-face if you will - it's audibly insulting to my ears.

The aforementioned criticisms also guide what I find baffling about the album. I think I 'get' the idea of him trying to present a musical melange but to steal from the Aphorisms of Yogi Berra, the album's inconsistency is its only consistency. Res ipsa loquitur.

Interesting observations. You would think that someone in Page's circle should have pointed out to him that the instrumentals on Outrider were superior to the tracks with vocals and that maybe this was the path he should take. Perhaps he could have collaborated on an instrumental album with some of his guitar playing mates. Each of them them compose a couple of instrumental pieces for an album that Page would produce. Ronnie Wood, Joe Walsh, and Joe Perry come to mind as possible collaborators. Talk about a guitar army!

Interesting observations. You would think that someone in Page's circle should have pointed out to him that the instrumentals on Outrider were superior to the tracks with vocals and that maybe this was the path he should take. Perhaps he could have collaborated on an instrumental album with some of his guitar playing mates. Each of them them compose a couple of instrumental pieces for an album that Page would produce. Ronnie Wood, Joe Walsh, and Joe Perry come to mind as possible collaborators. Talk about a guitar army!

:goodpost: If I had a Tardis, I would transport you to Sol Studios back in '87 to see if you could get that off that ground (don't worry - I'll take out Brian Goode).

Just look at the videos from the 80's, it seems to me that they were trying to force jimmy into a hole where he didnt really fit and that was into the mainstream hair bands of the day. Not only was Outrider much more mature material wise none of it had that 80's marketability like whitesnake, poison and other bands of the time. Jimmy made the same mistake with The Firm. Very mature themes sung by a very mature Paul Rodgers who wasn't exactly what you would call a poser and he didnt really appeal to the youth of that time. I believe it was all down to the wrong marketing approach.

I believe it was all down to the wrong marketing approach.

The promotional campaign for Outrider was massive and very well executed! The album - some of which is great - would have required the support of extensive touring to achieve greater commercial success. Unfortunately, the Outrider tour lasted less than three months with no dates outside of the US & UK.

I'll give it the occasional spin but a lot of it sounds like a work in progress rather than a finished lp. Am I the only one who finds Chris Farlows vocals really over the top and annoying?

I actually think he should have been the singer chosen for the tour! Songs performed that don't fit his style (Over The Hills and Far Away, for example) could have been done as instrumentals. John Miles was certainly acceptable but I would have preferred a more blues-based tour.

Archived