Yeah I quite like Blues Anthem, he's more restrained on that one. I could've done without the synth strings though but it was a product of its time. By the way I've nothing against synths I'm actually a bit of a synth nerd!

I'll give it the occasional spin but a lot of it sounds like a work in progress rather than a finished lp. Am I the only one who finds Chris Farlows vocals really over the top and annoying?

:blink: No. His work on this album is one, continuous piss-take. We seem to be an army of two at this point. I guess I'm the ninja of the two of us (as it were).

The promotional campaign for Outrider was massive and very well executed! The album - some of which is great - would have required the support of extensive touring to achieve greater commercial success. Unfortunately, the Outrider tour lasted less than three months with no dates outside of the US & UK.

I disagree.

The Marketing campaign was a big deal to those who already knew who Jimmy and did have a lot of money behind it. But it did nothing to attract fans of hair metal bands which is what it needed to do to make the album a better commercial success, no amount of touring was going to sell tickets to those fans. The youth were just not into Jimmy Page at the time.

Without dipping too deep into the hash pipe on my part, I would have been delighted with him sticking to instrumentals - by way of comparison I think the instrumentals on Outrider are MUCH more interesting than, say, Satriani's 'Surfing with the Alien' or Beck's 'Guitar Shop' (both released roughly around the same time period).

Wow! As someone who is a diehard Beck fan, I find that comment quite bizarre. I realize that this is a Zeppelin forum, but Guitar Shop is freaking brilliant... The title track has a great deal of humor in it, with the added talking parts, but the guitar playing is blazing. Savoy has a classic riff with Beck ripping it up when he solos. Behind The Veil is just beautiful - soaring notes that only Beck seems capable of. Big Block is another classic riff and his playing on this track shows just how amazing he is when letting things just rip! Where Were You... an absolute classic and one that I was really curious to how he would pull it off in a live setting, but live he makes it even better! Stand On It has yet another cool riff and Beck's soloing is just out of this world - showcasing both classic rock and some of what many in the 80's were trying to do, but only Beck and EVH could make it sound interesting. Day In The House is kinda bizarre, but at least he was trying new things. Two Rivers is another absolutely beautiful song and Sling Shot ends things with a real barn-burner.

I don't know how anyone could think the instrumentals on Outrider are MUCH more interesting than this album... but to each his/her own, I guess.

Yep Jimmy definitely had to contend with guys like Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen , Steven Vai, Ritchie Sambora those guys were all into a whole different kind of playing than Jimmy was and their music videos helped push their look and product.

When I was a kid the people I grew up with were either 3 years older than I was or 3 years younger. Because I was born on the tail end of what the older people were into for music I became a fan of Zep, King Crimson, Floyd, Yes, the oldies and classical. I found the Hair bands to be less impressive and far less interesting. The bands I loved seemed to be more mature musically than the juvenile stuff the hair bands played. having been too young to hang with the older crowd I had to hang with the younger crowd and put up with what ever they wanted to hear for 90% of the time. They didn't know any of the music I did and couldn't have cared less about it. It was torture I tell you !!!

The promotional campaign for Outrider was massive and very well executed! The album - some of which is great - would have required the support of extensive touring to achieve greater commercial success. Unfortunately, the Outrider tour lasted less than three months with no dates outside of the US & UK.

Do you know why the Outrider tour wasn't longer? Did they cancel concerts due to low ticket sales?

Do you know why the Outrider tour wasn't longer? Did they cancel concerts due to low ticket sales?

No concerts were cancelled on account of sluggish ticket sales, but the venue for Kansas City on 10/14/88 was changed from Kemper Arena to Memorial Hall for that reason.

The tour only ran from Sep to Nov '88. You may recall Jimmy's son was born in April '88. Jimmy had vowed he wouldn't miss his son's formative years (as he had with Scarlet) by being on the road all the time. Ultimately, Jimmy did not tour again for another five years.

No concerts were cancelled on account of sluggish ticket sales, but the venue for Kansas City on 10/14/88 was changed from Kemper Arena to Memorial Hall for that reason.

The tour only ran from Sep to Nov '88. You may recall Jimmy's son was born in April '88. Jimmy had vowed he wouldn't miss his son's formative years (as he had with Scarlet) by being on the road all the time. Ultimately, Jimmy did not tour again for another five years.

After the show in KC, I met Jimmy at his hotel bar... he was sitting alone, but Jason and Durban were there as was Jimmy's manager. When I introduced myself and asked if he would mind talking to my friends and me for a few minutes, he said sure. He was seated at the bar and the chairs had big, round backs on them. He then stood up, re-positioned his chair so that he was facing us and graced us with his presence for nearly 30 minutes.

He was so polite and one of the first things that I said to him was how much I - and everyone who went to the show - appreciated his coming to KC despite the low ticket sales. His response blew me away. He said: 'Well, there's a lot of bands on the road right now and I understand that people can't afford to see every show. But I knew the die-hards would be here tonight.'

There I was meeting a Guitar God, the man who created Led-Zeppelin, and he was as humble and nice as anyone could ever hope for. I walked into the bar that evening a huge fan. I didn't walk out of the bar that night... I floated out on cloud 9!!!

And now, all these years later, to find that ONLY KC had low ticket sales... bums me out but also makes me feel that Jimmy really wanted to play here. And a great show it was!!!

After the show in KC, I met Jimmy at his hotel bar... he was sitting alone, but Jason and Durban were there as was Jimmy's manager. When I introduced myself and asked if he would mind talking to my friends and me for a few minutes, he said sure. He was seated at the bar and the chairs had big, round backs on them. He then stood up, re-positioned his chair so that he was facing us and graced us with his presence for nearly 30 minutes.

He was so polite and one of the first things that I said to him was how much I - and everyone who went to the show - appreciated his coming to KC despite the low ticket sales. His response blew me away. He said: 'Well, there's a lot of bands on the road right now and I understand that people can't afford to see every show. But I knew the die-hards would be here tonight.'

There I was meeting a Guitar God, the man who created Led-Zeppelin, and he was as humble and nice as anyone could ever hope for. I walked into the bar that evening a huge fan. I didn't walk out of the bar that night... I floated out on cloud 9!!!

And now, all these years later, to find that ONLY KC had low ticket sales... bums me out but also makes me feel that Jimmy really wanted to play here. And a great show it was!!!

According to Wikipedia, Led Zeppelin performed a concert at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas in 1970. It was the only time the band performed in the greater Kansas City area. Perhaps Page felt that his fans in the area were long overdue.

According to Wikipedia, Led Zeppelin performed a concert at Memorial Hall in Kansas City, Kansas in 1970. It was the only time the band performed in the greater Kansas City area. Perhaps Page felt that his fans in the area were long overdue.

SAJ, is that the show Bonzo was arrested after? Robert refers to it at the St. Louis '75 show. Possibly why they "never went to KC anymore"....;)

SAJ, is that the show Bonzo was arrested after? Robert refers to it at the St. Louis '75 show. Possibly why they "never went to KC anymore".... ;)

Actually, the rumor here in KC was far worse... it was "rumored" that during that show that Bonzo passed out from being drunk and the band were booed off stage. So, when finally standing face to face with Page himself, I decided to delicately bring the subject up. I explained that it was a "rumor" and that all I was asking for was his recollection of that night, since, as you pointed out, Zep never returned to KC.

Jimmy listened, looking me in the eyes, and then denied that Bonzo had "passed out" during the show. He said he wasn't sure about why they never returned here - could be promoters or something else at the venue - either Kemper Arena or Arrowhead Stadium - that prevented them from coming, but he ended that bit of conversation by saying - and I quote: 'I absolutely love Kansas City!'

I found out in 1998 that Page actually knows someone who lives here and visits - or at least used to - once a year, sometimes twice. And after learning of this I went back and checked, and on both times that Page/Plant came here - 5 May 1995 and 6 June 1998 - they had at least one day off prior to their show here. One day in 1998 and two days in 1995. As well, in 1988 on the Outrider Tour he played Oakland on the 11th of October, had the 12th and 13th off, played here the 14th, then was off the 15th.

It should be noted that he went to an area here in town called Westport where local bands used to jam all the time and he visited two bars and got up and played - one with a local band and one with someone who was touring an album - can't recall who, but they weren't very big. Anyway, point is, he seems to always have some time to hang out... or visit with friends, when he does visit KC and has even taken to the bars to rock out with local and not-so-famous bands.

Like I said prior, he's an extremely gracious and kind soul!

Without dipping too deep into the hash pipe on my part, I would have been delighted with him sticking to instrumentals - by way of comparison I think the instrumentals on Outrider are MUCH more interesting than, say, Satriani's 'Surfing with the Alien' or Beck's 'Guitar Shop' (both released roughly around the same time period).

Wow! As someone who is a diehard Beck fan, I find that comment quite bizarre. I realize that this is a Zeppelin forum, but Guitar Shop is freaking brilliant... The title track has a great deal of humor in it, with the added talking parts, but the guitar playing is blazing. Savoy has a classic riff with Beck ripping it up when he solos. Behind The Veil is just beautiful - soaring notes that only Beck seems capable of. Big Block is another classic riff and his playing on this track shows just how amazing he is when letting things just rip! Where Were You... an absolute classic and one that I was really curious to how he would pull it off in a live setting, but live he makes it even better! Stand On It has yet another cool riff and Beck's soloing is just out of this world - showcasing both classic rock and some of what many in the 80's were trying to do, but only Beck and EVH could make it sound interesting. Day In The House is kinda bizarre, but at least he was trying new things. Two Rivers is another absolutely beautiful song and Sling Shot ends things with a real barn-burner.

I don't know how anyone could think the instrumentals on Outrider are MUCH more interesting than this album... but to each his/her own, I guess.

Well, in my self-defense, I did mention dipping into a hypothetical hash pipe :)

Kidding aside, you are absolutely correct in that is a matter of taste/opinion - I happen to pretty much unequivocally 'love' everything prior and after 'Guitar Shop' by JAB - we're in that 'why is Prussian Blue the bestEST color EVER territory.' I can't even begin to mount any sort of 'objective' basis for my position. Same deal with Satriani and other well-known guitar instrumentalists at the time. I find the 'JP' instrumentals on Outrider to 'sound like him' and there were interesting timing changes and overdubs that happen to crack a smile on my face when I listen to them.

Interesting about Page having a friend in Kansas City. I wouldn't think that city would be a mecca for English immigrants, but what do I know? Perhaps the friend is American and the relationship dates back to his Yardbird days.

Actually, the rumor here in KC was far worse... it was "rumored" that during that show that Bonzo passed out from being drunk and the band were booed off stage. So, when finally standing face to face with Page himself, I decided to delicately bring the subject up. I explained that it was a "rumor" and that all I was asking for was his recollection of that night, since, as you pointed out, Zep never returned to KC.

Jimmy listened, looking me in the eyes, and then denied that Bonzo had "passed out" during the show. He said he wasn't sure about why they never returned here - could be promoters or something else at the venue - either Kemper Arena or Arrowhead Stadium - that prevented them from coming, but he ended that bit of conversation by saying - and I quote: 'I absolutely love Kansas City!'

I found out in 1998 that Page actually knows someone who lives here and visits - or at least used to - once a year, sometimes twice. And after learning of this I went back and checked, and on both times that Page/Plant came here - 5 May 1995 and 6 June 1998 - they had at least one day off prior to their show here. One day in 1998 and two days in 1995. As well, in 1988 on the Outrider Tour he played Oakland on the 11th of October, had the 12th and 13th off, played here the 14th, then was off the 15th.

It should be noted that he went to an area here in town called Westport where local bands used to jam all the time and he visited two bars and got up and played - one with a local band and one with someone who was touring an album - can't recall who, but they weren't very big. Anyway, point is, he seems to always have some time to hang out... or visit with friends, when he does visit KC and has even taken to the bars to rock out with local and not-so-famous bands.

SAJ, is that the show Bonzo was arrested after? Robert refers to it at the St. Louis '75 show. Possibly why they "never went to KC anymore".... ;)

You're referring to their two public performances (7pm & 9:30pm) at the Memorial Hall in Kansas City on November 5, 1969. Bonham had gotten so drunk he nearly missed that second show. Afterward, Page, Plant, Bonham and Cole went drinking at the bar of their hotel, the Muehlbach. Bonham was arrested in the lobby the morning of November 6th for public drunkenness. He was released very soon after and the band continued on with him to San Francisco later that afternoon.

Kanas City (date & venue unconfirmed...most likely Arrowhead Stadium) is included on their Aug/Sep 1975 tour itinerary, all of which was cancelled following Robert's auto crash.

On the Outrider tour he was checked into the Westin Crown Center for four nights (Oct 13-16 1988). The gig on Oct 14th was switched from an arena-sized venue (Kemper Arena) to the smaller Memorial Hall. While in town, within hours of arrival, he & his assistant (Phil Carlo) attended a Tough Enough gig at Harris House on Oct 13th. Jimmy got up and jammed with them. Then they went down the street to a place called Lonestar, where he jammed with another local band, called Nelson.

On my Facebook site I have photos of Jimmy, Jason & Durban relaxing with fans at Westin Crown Center's hotel bar after the Memorial Hall gig.

You're referring to their two public performances (7pm & 9:30pm) at the Memorial Hall in Kansas City on November 5, 1969. Bonham had gotten so drunk he nearly missed that second show. Afterward, Page, Plant, Bonham and Cole went drinking at the bar of their hotel, the Muehlbach. Bonham was arrested in the lobby the morning of November 6th for public drunkenness. He was released very soon after and the band continued on with him to San Francisco later that afternoon.

Kanas City (date & venue unconfirmed...most likely Arrowhead Stadium) is included on their Aug/Sep 1975 tour itinerary, all of which was cancelled following Robert's auto crash.

On the Outrider tour he was checked into the Westin Crown Center for four nights (Oct 13-16 1988). The gig on Oct 14th was switched from an arena-sized venue (Kemper Arena) to the smaller Memorial Hall. While in town, within hours of arrival, he & his assistant (Phil Carlo) attended a Tough Enough gig at Harris House on Oct 13th. Jimmy got up and jammed with them. Then they went down the street to a place called Lonestar, where he jammed with another local band, called Nelson.

On my Facebook site I have photos of Jimmy, Jason & Durban relaxing with fans at Westin Crown Center's hotel bar after the Memorial Hall gig.

I would LOVE to see those photos because I might be in them! Susan Hedrick was there - I'm sure you know her - and when I wrote her about the magazine she was running called: Oh Jimmy, I explained that night in detail and she wrote me back, included an issue of Oh Jimmy and a photo that had one of my friends in it.

I don't have Facebook, but will PM you my e-mail if that helps. I would seriously like to see those! And thanks for the info on the bands that Jimmy jammed with. The Lonestar used to be a GREAT bar for small gigs and the chance to see Page there would have been incredible. Sadly, I didn't know about it until after the fact...

Thanks Steve, I knew you would have the precise info.

I would LOVE to see those photos because I might be in them! Susan Hedrick was there - I'm sure you know her - and when I wrote her about the magazine she was running called: Oh Jimmy, I explained that night in detail and she wrote me back, included an issue of Oh Jimmy and a photo that had one of my friends in it.

I don't have Facebook, but will PM you my e-mail if that helps. I would seriously like to see those! And thanks for the info on the bands that Jimmy jammed with. The Lonestar used to be a GREAT bar for small gigs and the chance to see Page there would have been incredible. Sadly, I didn't know about it until after the fact...

You could be because these were originally Susan's photos; she kindly sent them to me about 20+ years ago. If you are not in them I'm still in touch with her and can inquire if perhaps there were some not included in the original set. I'll email them to you this week. Susan was North American distributor for Oh Jimmy! fanzine but the founder and publisher was Tim Tirelli in Italy. I'm still in touch with Tim also.

You could be because these were originally Susan's photos; she kindly sent them to me about 20+ years ago. If you are not in them I'm still in touch with her and can inquire if perhaps there were some not included in the original set. I'll email them to you this week. Susan was North American distributor for Oh Jimmy! fanzine but the founder and publisher was Tim Tirelli in Italy. I'm still in touch with Tim also.

Great! Thank you so much, Steve! And thanks for reminding me of Tim... man... the years go by, don't they!!!

I also still have the vinyl. I was never a huge fan. I just found it a bit sluggish. But the tour itself was fantastic. We had great seats in the Manchester Apollo and it was packed out. Best bit though folks was as it was the last night of the tour, Mr Page checked us Mancs as being the best audience of the tour. If you don't believe me listen to the boot of the show :cheer:

tumblr_ltstdtJNce1qmle2jo2_1280.jpg

I think whoever wrote that article could have used some serious fact-checking. Jason Bonham - nephew of the late Zep drummer, John Bonham... okay... and then the bit where he claims that Page played some Whole Lotta Love riffs during Custard Pie. Yeesh. I know from the show that I was at and all the bootlegs that I've heard, Page went into Black Dog during Custard Pie, as John Miles sang the opening lines, then it was right back into Custard Pie.

It kills me when reporters act like they know what they're talking about when they haven't a clue.

Archived