I think the comment of, " the cone of power" made me laugh the most, with the reviews

They were great shows and I would think necessary shows for fans to hear. I am surprised jimmy page doesn't make a show available on vinyl, on his website.

• 2 weeks later...

I've entered in red the content which does seem to be missing from the Westwood One Superstars In Concert program. What I should do now is edit the program with an audience recording of the concert that I have to present the complete show. If I recall correctly, with the exception of El Paso, TX there is an audience tape in circulation for every night of the tour.

Here's the front cover of the Westwood One Superstars in Concert program, as well as the 8.5" x 11" cue sheet that was originally distributed with it:

NEED1988WW1_zpsa56caeb3.jpg

NEEDcuesheet_zps0a32a520.jpg

19880909MiamiHeraldThe_zps8b68d13e.jpg

The Miami Herald (September 9, 1988) (Miami, FL)

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Great articles (I especially love this one). Thanks for posting, Steve! Interesting that there was an understanding that Jimmy would not be performing STH and yet it was the closing song. Wonder if that was an impromptu move? I imagine there were 5,000 voices happy to provide the vocals! Would love to have been there.

Great articles (I especially love this one). Thanks for posting, Steve! Interesting that there was an understanding that Jimmy would not be performing STH and yet it was the closing song. Wonder if that was an impromptu move? I imagine there were 5,000 voices happy to provide the vocals! Would love to have been there.

Unsure what you mean by that, as an instrumental version of Stairway to Heaven was covered during tour rehearsals and was in fact the last song performed on every night of the tour.

19880908Sun-SentinelFtLauderdaleFL_zps62

Sun-Sentinel (September 8, 1988) (Ft. Lauderdale, FL)

Scan courtesy Steve A. Jones Archive

Unsure what you mean by that, as an instrumental version of Stairway to Heaven was covered during tour rehearsals and was in fact the last song performed on every night of the tour.

I was referring to the comment in this article, '...Page has no plans to tackle radio anthems such as Stairway to Heaven or Whole Lotta Love.'. I may have misinterpreted what was meant by that.

I was referring to the comment in this article, '...Page has no plans to tackle radio anthems such as Stairway to Heaven or Whole Lotta Love.'. I may have misinterpreted what was meant by that.

Oh, I see it now. It is an odd comment for Jason to make knowing they were already rehearsing Stairway to Heaven as an instrumental finale.

Oh, I see it now. It is an odd comment for Jason to make knowing they were already rehearsing Stairway to Heaven as an instrumental finale.

And I'm not familiar with the Outrider tour, so I was thinking that it would be neat if it was a surprise ending for that night's performance. Oh well! Thanks for clarifying!

And I'm not familiar with the Outrider tour, so I was thinking that it would be neat if it was a surprise ending for that night's performance. Oh well! Thanks for clarifying!

It was performed at the end of the opening show in Atlanta a few days prior to the show in Miami. Of course, word traveled much, much slower back then in the pre-internet era.

They also performed The Only One during that first show in Atlanta, the only time they would do so during the tour. See 29:39 - 33:30 in the clip below.

It was performed at the end of the opening show in Atlanta a few days prior to the show in Miami. Of course, word traveled much, much slower back then in the pre-internet era.

They also performed The Only One during that first show in Atlanta, the only time they would do so during the tour. See 29:39 - 33:30 in the clip below.

Bravo, bravo!! That made my day!! :D

What a great show for the fans...and for Jimmy! There is also a lot of love for Jason's solo...cool! Who is playing the drums with him?

Bravo, bravo!! That made my day!! :D

What a great show for the fans...and for Jimmy! There is also a lot of love for Jason's solo...cool! Who is playing the drums with him?

Nobody was playing with him. He set up the backing loop (you can see him playing it before the lights go out) and then moved out front to play against it on the electric pad.

Nobody was playing with him. He set up the backing loop (you can see him playing it before the lights go out) and then moved out front to play against it on the electric pad.

Ahh, I see! Thanks for that, juxtiphi! it was pretty cool, he was very animated!

• 3 months later...

After the show in KC, I met Jimmy at his hotel bar... he was sitting alone, but Jason and Durban were there as was Jimmy's manager. When I introduced myself and asked if he would mind talking to my friends and me for a few minutes, he said sure. He was seated at the bar and the chairs had big, round backs on them. He then stood up, re-positioned his chair so that he was facing us and graced us with his presence for nearly 30 minutes.

He was so polite and one of the first things that I said to him was how much I - and everyone who went to the show - appreciated his coming to KC despite the low ticket sales. His response blew me away. He said: 'Well, there's a lot of bands on the road right now and I understand that people can't afford to see every show. But I knew the die-hards would be here tonight.'

There I was meeting a Guitar God, the man who created Led-Zeppelin, and he was as humble and nice as anyone could ever hope for. I walked into the bar that evening a huge fan. I didn't walk out of the bar that night... I floated out on cloud 9!!!

And now, all these years later, to find that ONLY KC had low ticket sales... bums me out but also makes me feel that Jimmy really wanted to play here. And a great show it was!!!

This is a great story. Yet another one of the hundreds of accounts I've read of incredible encounters with Jimmy.

Honest opinion, I think Jimmy Page could have made a better solo album. I truly believe that. He was/is definitely capable of it. I still like the album though.

Outrider just needed some better material. The playing was there, the tone was there, it was conceptually good, but not executed well.

Still, I love and still listen to several cuts from the album, which I can't say about Plants work from the 80's. Writes of Winter, Emerald Eyes, Hummingbird, there's some real gems on there.

I agree with everything you said there. ^

Also, another critique. For example, "Wasting My Time." Great music, great song, and great guitar playing!... With typical late 80's mediocre "hair" band vocals. But I think that track was to try to get on the Pop charts. Or I mean Jimmy's angle was to make it a more commercial track. It was released as single.

Just my opinion is all. They don't mean anything.

Now, I've seen/heard live shows on YT of the Outrider tour and think it's great! Should have released a double live album.

I also heard that some Outrider demo tapes were stolen from Page. I wonder if there were some hidden gems on those tapes.

Jimmy had two lps worth. (From what I read) One lp was to be acoustic and the second was to be electric. The tapes were stolen so he had to start from scratch and decided on one lp.

Archived