• 3 months later...

theirs no question ! & shocked everyone into reminding them just how much better they are still ....than whoever is # 2 , (wink!)

& it was a double bonus because they showed the world NOT ::why they were or who they were but

together = WHY THEY ARE & WHO THEY ARE !

• 2 years later...
On 6/2/2013 at 5:10 PM, the chase said:

... performing for charity... I was very much into Jimmy's performance at NetAid.. whether with Puff Daddy - The Black Crowes and or especially this with the great Michael Lee..

I thought that was fantastic!

• 5 months later...
On 05/12/2016 at 6:33 PM, Chap said:

In the O2 footage above, what is happening at the 3:59-4:01 mark.  Sneaky bend?  Effect?  Self tuning guitar?  

Whammy pedal.  He used it for the intro for 'Nobody's fault but mine' as well.

• 1 month later...

Yes O2 . I was both thrilled and worried about the O2 reunion because of the past reunion disasters. When i heard Kashmir from the first cellphone audio (youtube) of this i am not ashamed to say i had tears of joy . The hair on the back of my head stood on end listening to Robert's wail on Kashmir.

I love the Knebworth version on the DVD. Page's glance and smile to Plant when they start is gold.

It's a very powerful version and Bonham is on fire at the end.

I like the O2 version and it does give me goosebumps because of the occasion, but I find Bonham Jnr tries to be too clever with the fills in the break sections and Page plays it very safe on the ascending bit at the end.

When i really,really consider i take back what i previously said. Not sure the quality was better or not. It is just there was more emotion in it for a fan imo. Suppose the improvement in technology. The concert is still full of everything good when you listen or watch it back. Just wish it could happen again. Ignore that bit.

The 2007 O2 recording of Kashmir is the most satisfying for me to listen to, considering the dynamics and audio quality  there, which imo, outweighs the less dynamic bootleg recordings. Because I personally experienced what I thought was the best live performance of Kashmir in 1977 in Ft. Worth, I judge all recordings against that experience. And so, I put the O2 recording in 2nd place, above Knebworth, and 1975's Earls Court. If the better 1977 versions of Kashmir would have been professionally recorded, then that recording would be my favorite, because no one on the planet can back Led Zeppelin like John Bonham. The Page & Plant Kashmir, while interesting, was weak, compared to the experience of the 1977 tour de force version.

My 3rd place recording/rememberance of Kashmir is the Symphonic Led Zeppelin version, with the "Dawn At The Great Pyramid" intro.

4th Place -- Jimmy Page with Puff Daddy performance.

On 31/01/2017 at 11:49 AM, The Rover said:

The Page & Plant Kashmir, while interesting, was weak, compared to the experience of the 1977 tour de force version.

I agree with your critique of the P&P version. Don't fix something that's not broke.

But I guess with an Egyptian orchestra sitting there on the meter, you're inclined to use them.

For me the only version on Unledded that came close to the original was No Quarter.

Zep was best when they infused world music into the rock genre, a subtle nod so to speak, rather than aping it wholesale.  

I did like the new tracks Yallah and Wonderful One, they showed great promise, and then came Walking into Clarksdale...

Anyway, back to Kashmir, and i would love to hear a great 77 version in professional quality.

O2 isn't even close for me because of one big problem....no Bonzo!  My favorite is Baton Rouge '75. It's majestic and epic. Copenhagen versions are great too, except for Jonesys keyboard clams at the end of 7/24 version. 

Archived