Out On The Town With Jimmy Page

• 5 weeks later...

...also in Tokyo this week...with Jimmy in attendance...

Jeff Beck, Tokyo Dome City Hall, April 8, 2014

"If you could talk Jimmy into appearing somewhere (laughs). He appears at the most unlikely events and then disappears again. He's a a dark horse, there's no doubt. He's got a completely private side to him as I have. But we have such a great laugh when we're together and if he ever comes up for grabs, then it'd make a good package. But one wonders what he'd play. What would he play? I don't know. He'd have to have the music sorted out and then we'd work it."

-- Jeff Beck, February 2014

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

^^ Steve it would have been nice IMHO if he would have jumped on stage for at least one song with Jeff :ohmy:

Yes, indeed and Jimmy had two golden opportunities to do so with Jeff while in Japan. On the other hand, Jimmy is a gentlemen of 70, had travelled a very long way to be here and many promotional duties/obligations.

So I can see where he would have been inclined to just relax at both of Jeff's shows that he attended while here.

• 3 months later...

Posing with a fan at The Oracle shopping centre in Reading on August 31, 2014

God, I'd love to know what the hell Jimmy buys in a place like the Oracle. If I had his money I'd never set foot in such a depressing place. In fact I'd never set foot in Reading.

God, I'd love to know what the hell Jimmy buys in a place like the Oracle. If I had his money I'd never set foot in such a depressing place. In fact I'd never set foot in Reading.

Jimmy's occasionally in Reading, and The Oracle shopping centre has an HMV and a cinema among other attractions.

That possibility exists, but I'm always struck by how consistently accommodating Jimmy is of his fans when Ross Halfin is not around to intervene.

Steve,

I happen to think that Ross Halfin is a pretty good guy, he speaks his mind when with rock stars or when with rock star management types or when with regular people he treats them the same. Plus I think he sort of looks after Jimmy by allowing Jimmy to get things done instead of just standing around all day long signing autographs. People are harsh on Ross, but deep down inside I think he has a heart of gold and frankly is the best photographer of the last 50 years.

Steve,

I happen to think that Ross Halfin is a pretty good guy, he speaks his mind when with rock stars or when with rock star management types or when with regular people he treats them the same. Plus I think he sort of looks after Jimmy by allowing Jimmy to get things done instead of just standing around all day long signing autographs. People are harsh on Ross, but deep down inside I think he has a heart of gold and frankly is the best photographer of the last 50 years.

Heart of gold?! What's he ever done for the fans? He's unnecessarily nasty towards others and just off the top of my head I can think of three rock photographers with a much better body of work:

Jim Marshall

Bob Gruen

Ken Settle

Jimmy's occasionally in Reading, and The Oracle shopping centre has an HMV and a cinema among other attractions.

I know - he was once spotted in a pound shop there. What's baffling me is why. And I can't picture him queuing for his popcorn in the Vue either, or buying trousers in Topman. It must be the HMV. (After all, we know he doesn't do downloads).

He seems so grand, with his bodyguards and private jets and whatnot. I just have trouble believing that he goes shopping for toothpaste and lightbulbs like ordinary mortals. But I suppose I might be wrong.

I know - he was once spotted in a pound shop there. What's baffling me is why. And I can't picture him queuing for his popcorn in the Vue either, or buying trousers in Topman. It must be the HMV. (After all, we know he doesn't do downloads).

He seems so grand, with his bodyguards and private jets and whatnot. I just have trouble believing that he goes shopping for toothpaste and lightbulbs like ordinary mortals. But I suppose I might be wrong.

Maybe he only wears designer duds for public appearances. For all we know, he may purchase inexpensive clothes to wear about his house.

Page has been spotted at convenience stores and fast food restaurants in London so I guess he does patronize some of the same places as the common folk.

P.S. What is HMV and what is a pound shop? Could a kind British poster please enlighten us Yanks.

HMV is a national music/record.dvd store chain and a pound shop is a store where all the items cost one british pound.

Pound shop sound like the British equivalent of American dollar stores. Given his old nickname, Led Wallet, I'm not surprised Page seeks out bargains.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived