Coverdale wants to end Plant feud

weslgarlic

Coverdale wants to end Plant feud

Whitesnake frontman David Coverdale has offered an olive branch to Robert Plant and apologised for “ugly things” said about the Led Zeppelin icon in the past.

The pair have been at loggerheads since Coverdale teamed up with Zep guitarist Jimmy Page for the 1993Coverdale Page album.

In interviews at the time, Plant expressed some derision at the collaboration, coining the term ‘David Cover-version’. Coverdale responded in kind, saying about the singer: “There’s certainly no love lost between myself and Robert… I wouldn’t send him cat food if he was starving.”

Now during an interview set to be broadcast next Wednesday (June 19) on TeamRock Radio’s Classic Rock Magazine Show, Coverdale said he wants to put an end to the animosities.

DC told Classic Rock Magazine Show host Nicky Horne: “My last words to Jimmy in London were: ‘I’d love to buy Robert a drink.’ I said: ‘When you speak to him, offer my sincere regrets for any negative things I’ve ever said, which were mostly defensive.’”

Cov continued: “I hold him [Plant] in the highest esteem as a human being, as an artist, and I really would like to, you know, sit down, buy him a drink, shake hands and say: ‘I’m really sorry, you know, can we be friends again?’

“[Out of] my love and respect for Jimmy, I know he’ll pass that on to Robert – and Robert might go and tell him to **** himself, who knows, but I don’t hold any animosity, just disappointment in myself that I took the bait and ran with some ugly things. Because it’s not appropriate for somebody I respect so much.”

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/coverdale-wants-to-end-plant-feud/

Coverdale says the death of Jon Lord has made him forget past differences with many people - he is even friendly with Richie Blackmore again.

And yes he and Plant were friendly enough at one stage - Plant attended both Deep Purple and Whitesnake concerts. They even went by "pet" names "Elsie and Arthur Hobson" , which I can't really explain, so feel free to take that bit of info on board or not :) .

True. It will be interesting to see if Robert is big enough to accept David's gesture. Coverdale has always come across as a decent enough bloke. If Robert was making negative remarks in the media, DC was well within his rights to respond.

That's interesting, it's not as if Coverdale fired the first shot in that battle.

David was the better man, and Robert really went out of his way in press interviews and magazine interviews to shit on David and he lied about David as well claiming he had never met him. If Robert reaches out for many miles to David I would be impressed but I doubt he will

was this some serious thing to begin with ? i always saw it as Robert being the one who was more mean towards Coverdale . i felt kind of bad for Coverdale also (and i'm not much of a fan of his either). maybe robert didn't intend for it to be as bad as it actually came off .

i hope robert accepts this . he did that other interview recently where he was positive towards radiohead and he was reported to have said something bad about them before.

From 1987 through 1994 Robert became more angry with David and of course Coverdale Page really pissed Robert off but hey, Coverdale Page was the best album from any member of Zeppelin since 1980!

was this some serious thing to begin with ? i always saw it as Robert being the one who was more mean towards Coverdale . i felt kind of bad for Coverdale also (and i'm not much of a fan of his either). maybe robert didn't intend for it to be as bad as it actually came off .

i hope robert accepts this . he did that other interview recently where he was positive towards radiohead and he was reported to have said something bad about them before.

JP78

It would be one thing if Robert had made his comments in private and left it at that. Instead, he chose to do so in the media, and as such, he knew it was now in the public arena, and would get picked up and repeated elsewhere.

maybe robert didn't intend for it to be as bad as it actually came off .

If anything, it should be Robert apologising to David, so we will probably wait a long time.

David was the better man, and Robert really went out of his way in press interviews and magazine interviews to shit on David and he lied about David as well claiming he had never met him. If Robert reaches out for many miles to David I would be impressed but I doubt he will

Coverdale mentioned in an interview well pre-o2 that the Whitesnake bassist at the time ( name ? ) had been out having lunch with Plant and had mentioned of a Led Zeppelin reunion , where Plant had mentioned it would be link one of those doo-wop revivals , Coverdale said he's totally wrong it be fucking amazing , And that he'd be the first to buy a ticket

• 4 months later...

Coverdale says the death of Jon Lord has made him forget past differences with many people - he is even friendly with Richie Blackmore again.

And yes he and Plant were friendly enough at one stage - Plant attended both Deep Purple and Whitesnake concerts. They even went by "pet" names "Elsie and Arthur Hobson" , which I can't really explain, so feel free to take that bit of info on board or not :) .

First of all .....can anyone confirm for me that Plant ACTUALLY attended Purple & Snake shows?

2nd .........I read an interview of plant not exactly taking back the "cloneband" comment but said david was a warm & wonderfull human being(or something like that) & somthing to the fact that he shouldnt have said "whatever" it was he had said!

now that was pre coverdale/page!

3rd..........the only thing i heard him say about coverdale/page was that he was GLAD pagey was out playing live & being happy!

4th..........i believe = Plant also goes on to sing a COVERDALE/PAGE song live! at liest once WITH jimmy during the page/plant tour! so unless their REALLY IS more that i havent heard ,i thought it was over yrs ago! "?"

RIP Jon Lord !

First of all .....can anyone confirm for me that Plant ACTUALLY attended Purple & Snake shows?

Robert, Maureen, Carmen, Rex King and Jason Bonham attended a Whitesnake gig at the Odeon in Birmingham in December 1982. (Knebby knows because she was there). After the show, Robert and David were among several gig attendees who went to the hotel for drummer Cozy Powell's 35th Birthday Party.

There may have been other occasions but this remains the only confirmation I have at the moment.

Robert, Maureen, Carmen, Rex King and Jason Bonham attended a Whitesnake gig at the Odeon in Birmingham in December 1982. (Knebby knows because she was there). After the show, Robert and David were among several gig attendees who went to the hotel for drummer Cozy Powell's 35th Birthday Party.

There may have been other occasions but this remains the only confirmation I have at the moment.

NO Kidding ? thats very interesting to me !

yea cozy would have been an avenue for that to happen ! 1982 seems to be an interesting yaer for me lol

you are amazingly helpfull !

(whose Knebby?)

Correct. My brother was also at this party having been an acquaintance of the late great Cozy.

Correct. My brother was also at this party having been an acquaintance of the late great Cozy

WHAT ? your brother knew Cozy? geeeze ! i got nothing! well........when i was a kid i got my picture taken with Niel. Armstrong at kings island ! lol

but Steve you must already known that ,

thats probably how i got in this click rite ? lol

Archived