What's the LONGEST show they ever did?

arte

The disputed 4-hour Boston Tea Party show from 1969 is one of the longest if it actually happened. Winamp tells me that the longest boots I have are:

1977-06-27 - LA Forum, Inglewood, California, USA (Empress Valley - Deep Striker) (222 minutes, 21 seconds)

1975-05-25 - Earls Court, London, England (Bluecongo - King Jimmy and the West Bromwich Blues Band) (218 minutes, 41 seconds)

1975-03-27 - LA Forum, Inglewood, California, USA (Empress Valley - Deep Throat III) (217 minutes, 43 seconds)

Boston Tea Party from Jan 26th, 1969 went 4 and a half hours according to legend and it was based off of 1 album of work. They played their set twice with covers extending it to 4 hours. But Nassau supposedly went for almost 5 hours at 4:45 minutes.

Not many shows from 77 went over 4 hours. One of the LA shows did though. Most of them stuck around 3 hours or little less. A few went to 3 and a half hours.

I think I have one from Seattle in 72(I think) that went over 4 hours. They played Dancing Days twice in that show. I'm pretty sure that was over 4 hours. I'm pretty sure it was 72 because I don't think they played Dancing Days in 73.

Boston Tea Party from Jan 26th, 1969 went 4 and a half hours according to legend and it was based off of 1 album of work. They played their set twice with covers extending it to 4 hours. But Nassau supposedly went for almost 5 hours at 4:45 minutes.

I think the longest '72 shows would likely be the LA Forum ones. The famous Burn Like a Candle bootleg. There's a reason that Page used it for How the West Was Won. Great stuff.

I think I have one from Seattle in 72(I think) that went over 4 hours. They played Dancing Days twice in that show. I'm pretty sure that was over 4 hours. I'm pretty sure it was 72 because I don't think they played Dancing Days in 73.

I think the longest '72 shows would likely be the LA Forum ones. The famous Burn Like a Candle bootleg. There's a reason that Page used it for How the West Was Won. Great stuff.

I think that Seattle show 6-18-72 clocked in at around 3 hours and they did Dancing Days twice. Plant mentions that they had been playing 3 and a half hours. If that was true, some of it didn't make it onto the tape.

LA and New York are always good shows to check out. They really turn it up for those shows. Also, the Japanese and Australian shows are looser than their North American counterparts.

Drew

Nassau Coliseum show on June 15 1972 was a legendary show that supposedly went 4+ hours, then there's the Boston Tea Party show from 69...

I was at both Nassau Coliseum shows and I think that it was the show on the 14th that went almost 5 hours.

I remember telling people, years later, that I was at a LZ concert that went almost 5 hours and no one believed me. The concerts were on school nights and between the coming and going and pre- and post show activities, I missed 3 (or 4?) full days of school.

I would love to see photos or film footage from either or both of those nights.

I think that Seattle show 6-18-72 clocked in at around 3 hours and they did Dancing Days twice. Plant mentions that they had been playing 3 and a half hours. If that was true, some of it didn't make it onto the tape.

LA and New York are always good shows to check out. They really turn it up for those shows. Also, the Japanese and Australian shows are looser than their North American counterparts.

Drew

the only thing with the 6/2572 Burn Like a Candle show is, Page didnt put all the songs they played on there. He left out the "Louie-Louie/Everyday People/Organ Solo" medley, "Thank You," and "Communication Breakdown."

I was at both Nassau Coliseum shows and I think that it was the show on the 14th that went almost 5 hours.

I'v heard that mentioned a few times but the recordings are more like three hours. I can believe that the Seattle 72 show from the 19th was longer than that as not only does the recording have cuts in the encores but it doesnt feature either CB or BIOH both of which were common for longer shows at the time.

One other show that I believe may have been pretty epic that we don't have all of is 28/9/71 in Osaka. To me is sounds like the show from that tour were the band are goofing around the most and the recordings we have contains alot of cuts. The already lenghty acoustic set sounds like it had at least 1 more song, WLL is cut after 20 mins and could have been god knows how long plus there could have been more encores.

I'v heard that mentioned a few times but the recordings are more like three hours. I can believe that the Seattle 72 show from the 19th was longer than that as not only does the recording have cuts in the encores but it doesnt feature either CB or BIOH both of which were common for longer shows at the time.

One other show that I believe may have been pretty epic that we don't have all of is 28/9/71 in Osaka. To me is sounds like the show from that tour were the band are goofing around the most and the recordings we have contains alot of cuts. The already lenghty acoustic set sounds like it had at least 1 more song, WLL is cut after 20 mins and could have been god knows how long plus there could have been more encores.

Thanks for the info. I've never heard any of the recordings. My memory is probably not the best when it comes to gauging the length of the shows. Once we were in the venue, it seemed that time was distorted and it was easy to lose track of things. Whatever the length, those were two phenomenal nights.

Thanks for the info. I've never heard any of the recordings. My memory is probably not the best when it comes to gauging the length of the shows. Once we were in the venue, it seemed that time was distorted and it was easy to lose track of things. Whatever the length, those were two phenomenal nights.

Probabley the same for most bands as the other parts of the "event" get added to the stagetime(although no opening acts for most of Zep's career), I know I'm a very bad judge of time when at concerts. They certainly were pretty unique in the early 70's playing for 3 hours at that level of intensity though.

I saw Led Zep nine times in the 70s. Of the shows I saw, I recall two shows clocking-in at over 3.5 hours long w/no intermission. Vancouver, March 20, 1975 and Seattle, July 7, 1977. The Vancouver show was simply amamzing, but the Seattle show was sub-par.

Archived