Question for Which I Have No Answer

Dallas Knebs

in the drive thru at Starbucks this morning the young kid asked me the title of the song that was blaring inside my truck, "... What Is and What Should Never Be."

He looks thoughful and asks if that is a Shakespeare reference. I dunno. Maybe. Probably more like a Hobbit reference I told him.

Anyone have a lock on this? Thanks in advance.

post-21997-0-55323900-1372106625_thumb.j

Actually, Peter Grant said when he first met Robert in '68, Robert explained to him he was in love with two sisters and unsure which to marry but that one of them was pregnant. Peter suggested he should marry the pregnant one (Maureen).

But it was on Zep II so a bit early to be about her so ???

...he's on the right track, if not the wrong song...

From Shakespeare's 'Merchant Of Venice' Act II scene 7: The Prince chooses the gold casket with the inscription, "Who chooseth me shall gain what many men desire." As he opens the casket, he finds a skeleton's head with a message in its eye socket. It reads,
"All that glistens is not gold".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All That Is Gold Does Not Glitter is a poem written by J.R.R. Tolkien for his fantasy novel The Lord of the Rings. It alludes to an integral part of the plot. The poem reads:

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king.

'Stairway to Heaven'

Theres a lady whos sure
All that glitters is gold
And shes buying a stairway to heaven

The Mystery of the Quotient:

The bard Plant
infuenced by
the bard Tolkien
influence by
the bard Shakespeare

Bard
1. One of an ancient Celtic order of minstrel poets who composed and recited verses celebrating the legendary exploits of chieftains and heroes.2. A poet, especially a lyric poet.

Steve A. Jones

oh wow,how lucky to be one of those sisters!!!

Actually, Peter Grant said when he first met Robert in '68, Robert explained to him he was in love with two sisters and unsure which to marry but that one of them was pregnant. Peter suggested he should marry the pregnant one (Maureen).

thank you Steve (as per usual and thank you for sharing as much as you do). Printed out your response and handed it to the kid this morning.

Well, it's just a theory that's open to interpretation but I do think it's a fairly convincing one.

oh wow,how lucky to be one of those sisters!!!

Not really -- the issue plagued them throughout the relationship, and Plant eventually had a son with Maureen's sister.

...he's on the right track, if not the wrong song...

I never caught that Shakespearean reference in Tolkien!

I suppose that would cause trouble!

Not really -- the issue plagued them throughout the relationship, and Plant eventually had a son with Maureen's sister.

wonder if it was love all the time or the sex

Without knowing the man...I'd say it was a bit of both. He seems to have been successful at painting himself as a bit of a hopeless romantic...he's developed relationships with groupies and various women throughout his life -- including, if the rumours are true, those he has recently toured with.

I found it within the course of 75,000+ hours of research ;)

Robert fell in love often. ;)

"...I fell in love....I fell in love again......this is a song about the first woman who took all my dinero"

--Robert Plant's on-air intro to an acoustic rendition of 'Thank You' at Cadena 100 Estudios in Madrid, Spain

(June 19, 1993)

Without knowing the man...I'd say it was a bit of both. He seems to have been successful at painting himself as a bit of a hopeless romantic...he's developed relationships with groupies and various women throughout his life -- including, if the rumours are true, those he has recently toured with.

Good Gawd. He seems to have, thankfully, settled in with Patty. Alison was also.... but, that is just a rumor, I hope.

a romantic,well said

It's not Tolkein, it's an apt title for the song's lyrics though. Because it's definitely about Maureen's sister.

It's not Tolkein, it's an apt title for the song's lyrics though. Because it's definitely about Maureen's sister.

Thanks for this TSRTS. BBS would never have guessed

Archived