Songs (album version) that could have been better?

Amstel

Songs (album version) that could have been better?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. I love everything Led Zeppelin recorded. However, I believe some of the songs could have had a better quality to them. What do you guys think?

• Moby Dick
    • Over The Hills And Far Away
    • No Quarter
    • Sick Again
    • All My Love
    • Hot Dog
    • Other

The first song that came to mind was "The Song Remains the Same." Plant's vocals on the LP sound artificially high, but live they have much more power and sound more natural.

I've read that effects were used on the studio version to keep Plant in a higher register. I haven't been able to confirm that, though, and I don't recall the source. Perhaps someone on the Forum can confirm or disprove that?

Yes, Plant's vocal track was slightly sped up. No Quarter was slowed down as well.

If there was one track I think could be better, it would be No Quarter. I wish the solo was longer (both keyboard and guitar sections).

Sick Again could use a re-mix, as could Carouselambra - Plants vocals are buried a little too much.

TSRTS and No Quarter for what is listed above - they both sounded so much better live.

One that's not on the list - Heartbreaker - never have dug the guitar sound Jimmy recorded during the main riff portion of that song, again much better live.

Well I think Jimmy had a concept and he was always trying something new! He had the longer speedy solos on earlier albums, so he wanted special, new solos for No quarter and Over the hills and saved the speedy, wild, long soloing for live perfomances!

Sick again could have had a solo at the end, actually I think there is one buried in the mix, but again it was mostly saved for the live versions, and the vocals do sound better on the Knebworh version for example, but the studio version is good too and the solo is in the concept of the album! Jimmy did very melodic solos for the album, but not much speed! But perhaps I do agree on this one, but otherwise I think both studio and live versions are great!!

All my love and Hot dog are definately better in the studio, for the Hot dog it's better Jimmy's playing and no harmoniser for Plant and the arrangement for All my love is better overall!

The first song that came to mind was "The Song Remains the Same." Plant's vocals on the LP sound artificially high, but live they have much more power and sound more natural.

I've read that effects were used on the studio version to keep Plant in a higher register. I haven't been able to confirm that, though, and I don't recall the source. Perhaps someone on the Forum can confirm or disprove that?

Definitely this. Overall on the HOTH album the production is slightly "weird" and a little dry. The Ocean especially lacks oomph when compared the the 1973 MSG performance which is on the 2003 DVD.

I Can't Quit You, Baby I don't like the version that is on LZ1 - prefer the Coda live perfomance.

But that's the great thing with Zep - that if you don't like a particular album cut there is always a killer live version to substitute it with.

I voted for "Sick Again" because it's just not my favorite song, but right now can't think of what would have made it better. "All of my Love" is actually my least favorite Zep song--but it is what it is, a Zeppelin take on a pop ballad--I just don't happen to like pop ballads.

I voted for "Sick Again" because it's just not my favorite song, but right now can't think of what would have made it better. "All of my Love" is actually my least favorite Zep song--but it is what it is, a Zeppelin take on a pop ballad--I just don't happen to like pop ballads.

See what you think of this version...

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

My vote for for Over the Hills and Far Away.Starts off brilliantly, then it gets to the mid section where it sounds absolutely confused mainly due to Pages woeful solo.I hate how the ascending solo just abruptly ends and goes back to the verse(some one got a bit excited splicing the tape me thinks)

Archived