Roy Harper ?

weslgarlic

I don't know but if no one can answer I would post the question in the Led Zeppelin Mysteries thread where there is a high volume of traffic and you're more likely to find an answer.

I stand corrected

:P

He joined them on the 1973 tour, and appears throughout the movie -- in all the concert shots, wearing the same shirt and orange jacket. He famously carried around a stuffed monkey/ape with him, which (according to SteveAJones) he menaces the band with during "Whole Lotta Love."

During "Dazed and Confused," he rushes a cameraman who was annoying Jimmy.

Was it not at the Bath Festival that Roy was hanging around waving the toy monkey at the band?

He joined them on the 1973 tour, and appears throughout the movie -- in all the concert shots, wearing the same shirt and orange jacket. He famously carried around a stuffed monkey/ape with him, which (according to SteveAJones) he menaces the band with during "Whole Lotta Love."

During "Dazed and Confused," he rushes a cameraman who was annoying Jimmy.

Was it not at the Bath Festival that Roy was hanging around waving the toy monkey at the band?

No -- the toy monkey, aside from being mentioned by Steve, was also mentioned by other people who were part of the 1973 tour in Barney Hoskyns' book. Harper merely saw Zeppelin perform at the Bath Festival, and (basically) became enamored of them.

Melcore,

I am not near my LZ book collection at the moment, so can you remember in which book it said that the LZ roadies couldn't stand Roy Harper when he was on the tours? From memory, I think it was in Hammer of the Gods or Stairway to Heaven. I seem to recall it also saying that him and Robert traded Dylan lyrics back and forth.

No -- the toy monkey, aside from being mentioned by Steve, was also mentioned by other people who were part of the 1973 tour in Barney Hoskyns' book. Harper merely saw Zeppelin perform at the Bath Festival, and (basically) became enamored of them.

I've only read snippets from those two -- don't recall anything along those lines. By his own admission in the Hoskyns book, he partook in some of the more "fun" activities, shall we say, and (unless I'm mistaken) one or two of the women commentators seemed to characterize him a little negatively -- or at least, as living the life to full effect while on tour with Zeppelin.

I just read the passage in Hoskyns' book in pages 235-236 regarding Harper and it seems to me that he added to the already chaotic atmosphere of the 73 tour. He wasn't cast in a negative light but, as Melcore pointed out, he clearly was along for the ride and enjoyed himself.

• 2 weeks later...

Roy lives in Ireland, and is really tight with The Tea Party, and Jeff Martin in particular. Roy has also sang on a Tea Party track as well. Not sure what it is or why it is, but Jimmy and Jeff Martin both consider Roy some sort of an important figure when it comes to artistic integrity. Roy reminds me of hippy who never figured out that sometimes rules need to be followed, not everyone needs to be given the middle finger for the sake of giving the middle finger.

I am posting this text from my memory (so it may not be factually or technically accurate) but I did read this somewhere...

Roy Harper was backstage at the 1970 Bath "festival". Jimmy Page saw him with an acoustic guitar and asked him to play a song that Jimmy knew about and wanted to hear. Roy Harper obliged and when Roy was done Jimmy said, "Nice" and walked away.

It was not until later that Roy Harper realized that the person who requested a song from him (earlier that day) was the one and only James Patrick Page. He saw Jimmy onstage with Led Zeppelin play their entire set and I suppose that intrigued Roy so much that he eventually made it into LZ's inner circle for at least one tour (1973).

If I am wrong about any of this, I do not mind clarification or criticism from anyone one. I would rather be told (in a nice way) that I am incorrect in what I think and what I think I know.

Anyone read the same thing that I have read about this?

I am posting this text from my memory (so it may not be factually or technically accurate) but I did read this somewhere...

Roy Harper was backstage at the 1970 Bath "festival". Jimmy Page saw him with an acoustic guitar and asked him to play a song that Jimmy knew about and wanted to hear. Roy Harper obliged and when Roy was done Jimmy said, "Nice" and walked away.

It was not until later that Roy Harper realized that the person who requested a song from him (earlier that day) was the one and only James Patrick Page. He saw Jimmy onstage with Led Zeppelin play their entire set and I suppose that intrigued Roy so much that he eventually made it into LZ's inner circle for at least one tour (1973).

If I am wrong about any of this, I do not mind clarification or criticism from anyone one. I would rather be told (in a nice way) that I am incorrect in what I think and what I think I know.

Anyone read the same thing that I have read about this?

Blackpool

Archived