Mike Bloomfield

SpookyE

So I was listening(for the 1st time mind you) to the debut album of The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, and I was really liking Mike Bloomfield's playing. So my question is if anyone has any recommendations for anything I should hear from Bloomfield?

You know, sue me, but while I appreciated his playing and contributions on other people's albums, I was never knocked out enough by his own songs to want to buy an album of his.

It was the same thing with Al Kooper.

Thanks for the contribution DAS.

Would you have any other recommendations of blues virtuosos from this period Strider?

I already checked out that album that Clapton did with the bluesbreakers and I enjoyed that.

The Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield & Al Kooper is pretty good, just recently scored it on vinyl.

As for recommendations:

Johnny Winter

Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac

Bluesbreakers with Mick Taylor

Ten Years After

Rory Gallagher

The Live Adventures of Mike Bloomfield & Al Kooper is pretty good, just recently scored it on vinyl.

As for recommendations:

Johnny Winter

Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac

Bluesbreakers with Mick Taylor

Ten Years After

Rory Gallagher

I'll add Al Kooper/Mike Bloomfield Fillmore East : The Lost Concert Tapes 12/13/68.

Johnny Winter then unknown and unsigned joins them onstage.

Thanks for the contribution DAS.

Would you have any other recommendations of blues virtuosos from this period Strider?

I already checked out that album that Clapton did with the bluesbreakers and I enjoyed that.

The Bluesbreakers with Mick Taylor is worth checking out. Also, I love Peter Green-era Fleetwood Mac, with the added guitars of Danny Kirwan and Jeremy Spencer...the phrase 'Eric Clapton is God' rings hollow after you hear the molten lava leads Peter Green and company were laying down night after night. Get any albums you can of this period of the Mac. Your first priority should be to get the incendiary Boston Tea Party set from February 1970:

Next, get the BBC recordings of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.

51qG579%2BMNL._SX300_.jpg

Rory Gallagher is another great player from this era and an essential part of any music-lovers collection...with his band Taste and later his solo albums. The Irish Tour 1974 is especially noteworthy, but really you should just get all of his albums. Johnny Winter is another player worth checking out and of course, Duane Allman and Dickey Betts from the 1969-1971 era Allman Brothers Band were playing rings around Eric Clapton at this point. Get every Allman Brothers album and bootleg that has the classic Duane and Dickey line-up. You probably already have "Live at Fillmore East"...but in case you don't, GET IT IMMEDIATELY!!!!

And while not exactly from the late-60s period you mention, the classic Robin Trower power-trio albums of the 70s features some badass guitar paying...not to mention the groove of Scotsman James Dewar's bass and his bluesy vocals. Start with "Bridge of Sighs" and "Robin Trower Live" and "For Earth Below".

I totally screwed up forgot about the Electric Flag...some great work by Mike Bloomfield in this band.

Lastly, I'll leave you with a final recommendation: Elvin Bishop. Perennially underrated, this guy is the real deal when it comes to blues playing.

That should give you enough to start with.

• 3 years later...
On 30.6.2013 at 4:49 AM, SpookyE said:

So I was listening to the debut album of The Paul Butterfield Blues Band, and I was really liking Mike Bloomfield's playing. Has anyone any more recommendations for anything I should hear from Bloomfield....?

Mike Bloomfied played on the first two studio albums from the Butterfield Blues Band:  on their self-titled debut from 1965 and on  'East West' from 1966.  Both are considered classics and must-haves.  Also the other guitarrist of the group, Elvin Bishop, did a nice job on these recordings.

I recommend the first album in original Mono on Golden Elektra US label (guitar player logo);  and  'East West'  in Stereo and on Golden Elektra USA too  desismileys_3334.gif

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/06/crawdaddy-classics-east-west-the-butterfield-blues.html

http://www.dylansweeklyalbums.com/vintage-pick/east-west-the-paul-butterfield-blues-band/

http://www.elektra60.com/images/paul-butterfield-blues-band-ekl-294-mono-1965-lp-front-cover-leonard-heicklen-ws-harvey

Paul Butterfield  I.jpg

Paul Butterfield IV.jpg

East - West  I.jpg

Of course, Bloomfield was the guitarrist on one of the very best Bob Dylan albums.  desismileys_3333.gif

I recommend 'Highway 61' also in  original Mono (preferably early US- or UK-pressings on CBS from 1965/66)  - it sounds punchier and fuller than the Stereo Mix....

Highway 61  UK Mono 1965.jpg

Highway 61  Mono II.jpg

Highway 61 Mono III.jpg

Highway 61  Mono IV.jpg

Archived