R.I.P. To Those 19 Brave Firefighters In Arizona

Reggie29

As someone who is very familiar with bushfires on a yearly basis, my sympathy to their families and friends and respect tho those who paid the ultimate price.

The word hero is thrown round so freely to sportspeople and rockstars, when these folks risk their lives serving the community, mostly volunteers then hero is not adequate to describe the first responders.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2013/07/02/06/10/fire-grows-as-us-mourns-19-firefighters

Being a firefighter is more dangerous than being a police officer...a lot of people don't know this, I think.

A building I was working in caught on fire and within minutes it was full of smoke...I remember standing outside (with the patients and staff who were evacuated) and saw a firefighter on a ladder climbing through a window into the burning building--I'll always remember watching someone enter a burning building that I had just fled.

I am the daughter of a policeman and the wife of a firefighter.

They are equally dangerous.

Other than soldiers in the Armed Forces, those two jobs are the only ones whose job description includes dying on the job. They are our domestic men and women in uniform.

My heart is breaking for the wives and children.

The ages of the fallen range from 21-43.

No words.

I’m sure you feel the same Scarlet, but after the towers fell, I can never hear the sound of fire truck alarm or read about a fire fighter dying in the line of duty and not be taken back to that day in September.

Being a firefighter is more dangerous than being a police officer...a lot of people don't know this, I think.

A building I was working in caught on fire and within minutes it was full of smoke...I remember standing outside (with the patients and staff who were evacuated) and saw a firefighter on a ladder climbing through a window into the burning building--I'll always remember watching someone enter a burning building that I had just fled.

I am the daughter of a policeman and the wife of a firefighter.

They are equally dangerous.

Other than soldiers in the Armed Forces, those two jobs are the only ones whose job description includes dying on the job. They are our domestic men and women in uniform.

My heart is breaking for the wives and children.

The ages of the fallen range from 21-43.

No words.

Well said planted. God be with Yours and all of the 19 and there Famalies. My nephew is an OPP Officer, Matt loves the work and his Wife is with the Toronto Fire Department. We wish the both of them had different employment, but they Love there Professions.

I'm sure you meant well, but statements like this stick in my craw. It's not a competition...both professions are equally dangerous. They both are there to serve and protect the public. They are both underpaid and understaffed and undervalued...until a tragedy like Arizona happens to remind the public who takes them for granted.

Another thing I've noticed when these things happen is that the headlines will invariably say "they died heroes". Which is true, I suppose. But it makes it sound as if the honour of 'hero' is only bestowed upon their death. In actuality, they lived as heroes. A fireman doing his job is already a hero in my eyes...he doesn't need to die for me to think him a hero.

Nineteen lives lost. I weep for them and their grieving families. And give grateful thanks for their service and valour. R.I.P.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
11 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Is that circular formation the actual burial ground or just symbolic? Regardless, the pink ribbons need to go--way too...feminine.

It's the spot where flames overtook the crew.

The trail itself is lined with memorial plaques for each firefighter. It zig-zags from the highway up a steep slope to a ridgeline, then follows the ridgeline to a spot with a view into the canyon where the firefighters were killed.

The trail then descends into the canyon to a memorial site with 19 wire baskets filled with rocks marking  the locations where flames overcame the crew. A flagpole is set in the center of a memorial site.

http://www.cbs5az.com/story/33813153/gov-ducey-to-dedicate-memorial-park-for-fallen-hotshots?autostart=true?autostart=true

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

What's with the ribbons? I would think if any they would be yellow. Pink normally symbolizes breast cancer awareness.

Unsure.  Because pink ribbons seem to symbolize a lot more than just breast cancer awareness these days but the symbolization with the circular formation is fascinating, kind of stonehengey if that's a word. I think it looks like an excellent tribute and I'd like to visit it. I haven't been up north lately but now I have a reason to go.

17 hours ago, Strider said:

Pink is too ingrained as the colour for breast cancer awareness, and yellow is usually for hostages/missing persons, so why not red ribbons? Or orange? Those are good colours for firefighters.

I'm not a fan of awareness ribbons, but of course we are both aware they exist. Through further review, it's possible the ribbons on the monument are purple, not pink, to coincide with Workers Memorial Day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_awareness_ribbons

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workers'_Memorial_Day

Archived