This is for the vinyl enthusiasts out there.

As a huge fan of LZ and the Black Crowes, I love Live at the Greek. I have the TVT and Japanese CD versions, but there are two problems with the sound, IMO: 1) they're too hot; 2) there's a squealer on the CD's who absolutely ruins the listening experience whenever she appears. Why she was left so high in the mix, I can't imagine.

Nonetheless, the vinyl completist in me just had to buy the LP's of this show. I'm happy to report that the squealer is largely backgrounded into the crowd noise, and the LP's are not hot. Unfortunately, the vinyl edition doesn't have the bonus songs found on the Japanese CD's, but it's worth it to have a good sounding recording of the show.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I've searched the Forum and haven't found any mention of the superior sound quality of the LP's vs. the CD's.

I found my copy on eBay although I didn't see it listed when I checked yesterday. You can also check Discogs to see if anyone has it up for sale. You might be in for sticker shock if you come across a copy.

It was released on Steamhammer/SPV GmbH in case you have any overseas contacts.

For 298, are they going to throw in some of whatever they're smoking? I wouldn't pay anywhere near that much.

Some other sites that may come through: Gemm (www.gemm.com) I haven't done business through this site, so I can't vouch for it, but they've listed Live at the Greek before. The Record Collectors Guild (http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org). This is a good place for vinyl enthusiasts anyway, but they have a "records wanted" section where members can specify what they're seeking and what they're wiling to pay.

Good deal! I've found some really good vinyl on eBay. In addition to Live at the Greek, I came across a copy of No Quarter in spectacular condition for a reasonable price. My favorite is the serendipitous auction, however: I got my copy of the remastered TSRTS box set for $30 (!!). The seller set a very low opening bid price, and not one other person bid on it. Whoo hoo!

I've been waiting a very long time to find the BBC sessions box set. The last I checked (admittedly, it's been awhile), the box set ran from $250 to $400, which is out of my budget for a single vinyl purchase.

By the way, why do you need to keep Live at the Greek sealed?

Wow--$70 for a sealed No Quarter. That's a really good price given what P/P LP's can command at this time.

Yep, you're correct that sealed LP's command top price, especially among (e.g.) the eBay buying crowd. I wasn't sure if you were going for the resell value or just wanted to keep one copy in pristine condition, as some collectors do. I'd be careful, though, about paying a lot for a sealed Walking into Clarksdale. Some of them have pressing defects, rendering them effectively unlistenable (and so pretty much worthless). I should know--I have such a copy although I didn't buy it sealed. The pressing defects, by the way, can't be detected with a visual inspection.

Huh--I've never seen the remastered TSRTS box set with fewer than 4 LP's. The original version has two. The next time you come across a box set with fewer than 4, could you send me a link to it by PM?

As for the BBC Sessions, I occasionally see someone sell one LP from the set. I think buying them one at a time is a much cheaper strategy, although it would take a long time to come across all of them that way. I really don't need the box itself since I'm more interested in the vinyl.

That is a cool story about Page--he must like the hell out of that record store!

Sorry - I was incorrect. I have the original 2 album set but not a box. Saw a box 4 album set I will probably purchase. I am looking for the Walking into Clarksdale vinyl set and will remember what you have indicated! There is a BBC sessions on EBay but for $300 I believe. Too high for me! I bought the Westwood One Radio Concert 1988 Robert Plant live, this weekend. There is more to the Page No Quarter signing story, but will PM you on that if you are interested. Would prefer not to share here.

Thanks for the guidance!

Rose T

Actually, TSRTS remastered vinyl box set is still available through Amazon for just under $71 (along with the Mothership box set and Them Crooked Vultures) if you're looking for an easy way to track down sealed vinyl.

PM sent.

Damn, I really should've bought another copy of the Live at the Greek LP when it came out. Was only about €25. It does sound great but I haven't had the geeky inclination to compare to the CD - I know that screaming woman the OP refers to though.

As we're getting into vinyl collecting anecdotes, I recall finding multiple copies of No Quarter in a Dublin record store. Going for, like a tenner! I was broke at the time and only bought one copy. D'OH!

If only we always had retrospect before the fact...

f only we always had retrospect before the fact...

Yep--I didn't get back into vinyl until last summer/early fall. If I had gone back earlier, I can't imagine some of the records I could've picked up at a reasonable price that would have increased astronomically in value. Eh, que sera, sera and all that.

Best live Blues Rock album ever.

Flyingzepp--I checked out your playing on "I Can't Quit You" on youtube. Very nice playing indeed! As a guitar plunker, I'm a bit envious!

Well good news - after losing yet another Ebay auction, I was contacted by the seller who had another

sealed Live at the Greek. Bought it finally today for $124.!! Need to leave it sealed however, so I will

resort to still playing the CD version.....for now.

I've had that happen to me too. Will usually get an item for your final offer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is for the vinyl enthusiasts out there.

As a huge fan of LZ and the Black Crowes, I love Live at the Greek. I have the TVT and Japanese CD versions, but there are two problems with the sound, IMO: 1) they're too hot; 2) there's a squealer on the CD's who absolutely ruins the listening experience whenever she appears. Why she was left so high in the mix, I can't imagine.

Nonetheless, the vinyl completist in me just had to buy the LP's of this show. I'm happy to report that the squealer is largely backgrounded into the crowd noise, and the LP's are not hot. Unfortunately, the vinyl edition doesn't have the bonus songs found on the Japanese CD's, but it's worth it to have a good sounding recording of the show.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I've searched the Forum and haven't found any mention of the superior sound quality of the LP's vs. the CD's.

This should cheer you guys up, found this today on http://www.musictap.net/ whilst trawling for something else:

"And finally, The Orchard label will reissue a rarity Live set featuring both The Black Crowes and Jimmy Page, all on vinyl LP. The 3LP set, Live At The Greek, is slated for October 22."

http://www.amazon.com/Live-At-The-Greek-LP/dp/B00EZ7K58G/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379254555&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=%22Page+Black+Crowes+Live+At+The+Greek+LP%22

This will, of course, only make the original release more thought after, but if yer just interested in the sounds and not the collectability this is top flight.

Cheers,

Indi

This should cheer you guys up, found this today on http://www.musictap.net/ whilst trawling for something else:

"And finally, The Orchard label will reissue a rarity Live set featuring both The Black Crowes and Jimmy Page, all on vinyl LP. The 3LP set, Live At The Greek, is slated for October 22."

http://www.amazon.com/Live-At-The-Greek-LP/dp/B00EZ7K58G/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1379254555&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=%22Page+Black+Crowes+Live+At+The+Greek+LP%22

This will, of course, only make the original release more thought after, but if yer just interested in the sounds and not the collectability this is top flight.

Cheers,

Indi

You just made my day, thank you!

• 5 months later...

I just watched the Live at the Greek concert, and I have to say that Jimmy was really on his game, and very faithful to the studio sound. Having some rhythm guitars in the background didn't hurt either.

Ordered to copies of the limited vinyl from Amazon today. Thanks for the idea. Very reasonable: 2 copies to my door for $74. Sold!

you watched the concert you say. was this an officeal release or bootleg version? i only found a few clips on youtube but then ihavent looiked for a long while

the white vinyl is a nice package, i'm happy with it

The top left hand side of my album cover does not have the sticker that says "The Classic Live Collaboration" on it, I have the sticker, but it's on the outer shrink wrap instead of the album cover itself, which I am happy about. It also doesn't have a sticker that says 3 LP anywhere on the album cover or shrink wrap which again I'm happy about. I got mine from SoundStage Direct.

Archived