2013-14 NBA Season

Strider

Now that the draft is over and the Heat have repeated as champions, it's time to focus on the coming season and who really has a shot at knocking off the Miami Heat. How will Oklahoma City and the LA Clippers shoot themselves in the foot this year?

Oh, and Dwight? Don't let the door hit you on the way out. Perhaps now we can get rid of all these silly signs that sprung up around L.A.

post-1470-0-12098800-1373247120_thumb.jp

This Wednesday is the day...on your marks...

Should be an interesting offseason, where will Dwight end up, Chris Paul says he wants to stay a Clipper & how will teams like OKC bolster their roster to make themselves even stronger. I got to think in the west if Westbrooke is able to stay healthy, that the Thunder are the team to beat in the West.

As for the East, got to think Miami is the team to beat without question, although the Nets offseason moves indicate to me they are trying to win it all now, plus will Derrick Rose be back & 100% for the Bulls. If so, they could be formidable & you can't forget the Pacers, who pushed Miami to the brink in the playoffs. Can't wait for the new season.

Hmmm, apparently I missed the news over the weekend, as far as Dwight signing with the Rockets.

Monster news Paul. It makes Houston the early favorites to win it all. But more moves will be made. Golden Sr picked up Iguadala and that puts them in the mix. I like this team. But Chris Paul is staying with the Clippers. Now with a real coach, LOOK OUT.

Hmmm, apparently I missed the news over the weekend, as far as Dwight signing with the Rockets.

You nust have had your head so deep in celebratory champagne that you didn't hear. Of course, everyone is racing to anoint the Houston Rockets before the season even starts, but let's not forget that they did the same to the Lakers last year. How did that work out?

As for the Lakers, they'll be hard-pressed to win 35-40 games. Playoffs are not in their future. What is in their future is MAJOR CAP SPACE for the 2014 free agent market and a high first-round draft pick for a change.

So I am perfectly fine with the Lakers tanking this season and getting set up for the following year. In fact, I hope Kobe takes the entire season off, like Derrick Rose, and get 100% healthy for 2014.

What about this new Boston Celtic coach from Butler, Brad Stevens? The track record for college coaches making the jump to the NBA ain't too hot.

I don't see any "go to" guys on that Rocket roster. Howard isn't clutch at all, they can't give him the ball during the last quarter of the game. His offensive game isn't all that and when he goes to the line, well we have all seen that mess already. Harden has proven he can't handle the pressure and Jeremy doesn't have the consistency at all. They will struggle in a half-court playoff series, which is what it all comes down to in the end. "Super Pussy" is what Dwight's moniker should be.

I don't see any "go to" guys on that Rocket roster. Howard isn't clutch at all, they can't give him the ball during the last quarter of the game. His offensive game isn't all that and when he goes to the line, well we have all seen that mess already. Harden has proven he can't handle the pressure and Jeremy doesn't have the consistency at all. They will struggle in a half-court playoff series, which is what it all comes down to in the end. "Super Pussy" is what Dwight's moniker should be.

They have Harden and they played very well last year. They are on the map now. No denying it. I still like the Clippers roster the best with a good coach to not fuck it up like Del Negro did. I do not think you can really compare the Rockets to the Lakers. In LA they are expected to win it all or have a chance to win it all every year. Right now I believe the West will come down to the Clippers and Houston with Golden st being a sleeper. OKC is also a main contender and they just slipped my mind. I would expect the T Wolves to improve alot. Maybe enough to sneak in as a low seed. More moves coming I am sure just like in hockey

What about this new Boston Celtic coach from Butler, Brad Stevens? The track record for college coaches making the jump to the NBA ain't too hot.

I think Brad Stevens will do well. I watched the press conference introducing him and was very impressed.

The Celtics signed him to a 6 year deal so they must really believe in him.

Rick Pitino is an amazing College Coach, but he failed in the pros because he was a complete control freak. He was always barking out every play running up and down the sidelines. He thought he was bigger than the players.. and that never works in the pros.

Pitino only came to The Celtics because he was so positive they were going to land Tim Duncan. He traded players like there was no tomorrow, so they never gelled under him... He did draft Paul Pierce which was obviously a great move.

I imagine it was the same type of thing with John Calipari. You can't treat pros the same as college players..

The Celtics are rebuilding with youth so a young bright coach might be just the right thing.

Danny Ainge is a great GM who is not afraid to make big decisions.. As much as I hate to see Pierce and KG go... it's the right move.

I think Brad Stevens will do well. I watched the press conference introducing him and was very impressed.

The Celtics signed him to a 6 year deal so they must really believe in him.

Rick Pitino is an amazing College Coach, but he failed in the pros because he was a complete control freak. He was always barking out every play running up and down the sidelines. He thought he was bigger than the players.. and that never works in the pros.

Pitino only came to The Celtics because he was so positive they were going to land Tim Duncan. He traded players like there was no tomorrow, so they never gelled under him... He did draft Paul Pierce which was obviously a great move.

I imagine it was the same type of thing with John Calipari. You can't treat pros the same as college players..

The Celtics are rebuilding with youth so a young bright coach might be just the right thing.

Danny Ainge is a great GM who is not afraid to make big decisions.. As much as I hate to see Pierce and KG go... it's the right move.

The key will be making RR happy. If Stevens can get Rondo's trust and develop a good relationship with him, that'll help Stevens during the inevitable losing streak.

As for Brooklyn, they're really going for broke. But it's a big "if" to think KG and PP can stay healthy at this point in their careers. I foresee a Laker-type scenario unfolding in Brooklyn.

I don't care how much cap space the Lakers clear, they aren't going anywhere with Jim Buss and D'Antoni still around and in charge.

The World Chumps will not win again. CP will be the man

I hope you're right.. Plus Doc Rivers is an excellent coach, probably the best in the league.. but who knows?

Anyone but Miami.. even that other LA team ...

I hope you're right.. Plus Doc Rivers is an excellent coach, probably the best in the league.. but who knows?

Anyone but Miami.. even that other LA team ...

I see no way on Earth the Lakers can fix things to that extent in one year. Phil Jackson must think he is God's gift to the game. He will always get more credit than he deserved. Just look at the teams he had. Hell, I could have coached that team and they would have won. Jordan and Kobe and Shaq in their prime. I will still take the 70 Lakers with Wilt over any team and then the Boston teams of the 60's

I see no way on Earth the Lakers can fix things to that extent in one year. Phil Jackson must think he is God's gift to the game. He will always get more credit than he deserved. Just look at the teams he had. Hell, I could have coached that team and they would have won. Jordan and Kobe and Shaq in their prime. I will still take the 70 Lakers with Wilt over any team and then the Boston teams of the 60's

No, I agree with you. The Lakers are in rough shape..

But for a diehard CELTICS fan to route for the Lakers to win anything is pretty much blasphemy..

But that's how much I dislike Pat Riley, D-Wade etc ...

• 2 months later...

It's getting close to that time again, I just noticed in my local sports section listings for a few preseason games. Hell, the preseason might have started weeks ago & I didn't notice. Of course to me, all preseason sporting events are a waste of time & I suspect that the NBA isn't that different from the NFL as far as star players getting reps in these exhibition games or am I mistaken.

At any rate, the real thing will be here soon enough & you all know what that means:

3 Peat!!!!!!!

^^^

UGH!

Anyone but Miami.

Unfortunately it won't be the Lakers...or the Celtics. Our teams got old and injured in a hurry. Time for some new blood to step up.

Let's see if Dwight Howard steps up in Houston or if he's still a crying ass punk?

Preseason NBA is the worst...it is meaningless.

Clippers vs. Lakers opening night...which I will miss, or have to watch on Tivo, as I will be at the Flaming Lips/Tame Impala concert that night.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived