the Star Wars thread...

kingzoso

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

yeah, its got that shaky JJ look, digging it! so many fakes knocking about, this one doesnt feature Force unleashed, darth maul or Harrison in his Enders Game outfit! knew it had to be legit, the lead guy from Attack the Block popped up!

Attack on the block was a very entertaining movie.

I hope they use the acting talents a bit more wisely (better) than in Episode 1 to 3.

I'm a dog person, and not a huge SW fan, but this was hilarious!

The Episode VII teaser.

So cool to see the Falcon again (I just see they changed the radar dish on the vehicle)

As someone outside of the cultural grip that SW had on the first generation of fans, I'm glad that I don't watch this with the scrutiny that purists have. Not knocking it, but in a world in which every second of the trailer is already captured and analyzed, it's a different perspective to see something as just itself, without the weight of expectation. Anyway, looks good. The villain and his lightsaber are awesome.

I liked the arc of Lucas's story, and how a personal journey has epic ramifications, but the execution and distractions with banal dialogue and annoying creatures were hard to take. Please PLEASE no JJB or the like. December 2015 is going to break records. But first, the final installment of the "The Hobbit" THIS December 17th! :D

Thing is -and I say this as an old school fan saw the original trilogy in the theatres, etc- I think even by taking on this Episode 7-9 project that JJ Abrams has had the dice loaded against him from the get go. He basically has unbelievable -if not outright impossible- expectations to live up to in order to escape the wrath of Star Wars fanatics the world over, to wit: with his trilogy he has to top Episodes 4-6, and I don't know if that can be done. And I say this as someone who actually didn't find Episodes 1-3 that bad. Flawed, yes, but if anything what I took issue with were the myriad of continuity errors in the prequels, and not petty complaints about Jar Jar Binks or Hayden Christensen's acting abilities, etc. Hell, I don't really blame George Lucas for selling out to Disney; I reckon "Star Wars" had gotten to be such a bloody millstone around his neck -and especially basically being made into Satan spawn by legions of Star Wars anoraks over the prequels- that he was glad to turn it over to someone else.

I'm sure we can take comfort in the fact that Abrams is apparently trying to give Star Wars fans exactly what they want with these new movies, just as long as he doesn't try too hard...my advice would be not to get our hopes up too high...Star Wars fans don't suffer fools gladly!

Edited by Nutrocker

Thing is -and I say this as an old school fan saw the original trilogy in the theatres, etc- I think even by taking on this Episode 7-9 project that JJ Abrams has had the dice loaded against him from the get go. He basically has unbelievable -if not outright impossible- expectations to live up to in order to escape the wrath of Star Wars fanatics the world over, to wit: with his trilogy he has to top Episodes 4-6, and I don't know if that can be done. And I say this as someone who actually didn't find Episodes 1-3 that bad. Flawed, yes, but if anything what I took issue with were the myriad of continuity errors in the prequels, and not petty complaints about Jar Jar Binks or Hayden Christensen's acting abilities, etc. Hell, I don't really blame George Lucas for selling out to Disney; I reckon "Star Wars" had gotten to be such a bloody millstone around his neck -and especially basically being made into Satan spawn by legions of Star Wars anoraks over the prequels- that he was glad to turn it over to someone else.

I'm sure we can take comfort in the fact that Abrams is apparently trying to give Star Wars fans exactly what they want with these new movies, just as long as he doesn't try too hard...my advice would be not to get our hopes up too high...Star Wars fans don't suffer fools gladly!

Ya know I really don't think is't too hard or too much to ask for the writers & director to get it right...here are IpMan's pointers to making an awesome Star Wars film:

Step 1. Watch Episode 5, The Empire Strikes Back.

Well, that's really it, just watch the fucking movie, see what they were doing and what they were trying to convey, then write a new story following the logical conclusion of the plot line of episode 4-6.

See, not so hard, So JJ, please mail my check for $10,000,000 to...

The Episode VII teaser.

If Lucas had his way and could make a special edition to the movie it would go a li'l sometin' like dis.

http://youtu.be/v93Jh6JNBng

:P

Just joking. I hope the movie's good. And to add on IpMan's post. The Empire Strikes Back is the bar that's set to measure a good Star Wars movie by. I think III (Prequel) was pretty nice as well. But Empire was more realistic in that not everything ends on a happy note.

• 4 months later...

I can't wait!! :)

In the summer of '77 while many of you were catching the Zeppelin tour, I was in the movie theater watching Star Wars 50 thousand times, lol. (I was 11).

May the Force be with you all.

Edited by Virginia

In the summer of '77 while many of you were catching the Zeppelin tour, I was in the movie theater watching Star Wars 50 thousand times, lol. (I was 11).

I was 8, and my friends and I would be dropped off every Saturday afternoon to get in the line that wrapped around the movie theater to see Star Wars.

Funny you should say. When the movie came out and I saw the poster (I was 9 at the time) I thought it looked stupid, really, really bad so I did not go see it. I was too busy seeing Slap Shot, The Hills Have Eyes, The Deep, Exorcist (The Heretic) - shitty movie, Sorcerer, and Annie Hall. There were so many great movies that year, me and my brother would go every weekend and see two or three ($1 to get in the matinee) and Star Wars just looked like B-movie shite. So, Star Wars had been out for about two months and when I went to the movies I would notice this growing line to see this Star Wars and all my friends were saying how great it was. I finally gave in and saw it about three months after it's initial release and truly enjoyed it. I really liked the movie though there were much better movies that year, it scored a good 7 out of 10 for me.

Now when Empire was released and I saw that I was overjoyed with the result. This has always been, IMO the best Star Wars movie...dark and serious, however Yoda really pissed me off. I was a big fan of Kung Fu (series) and Yoda was less Master Po and more overall pain in the ass. Anyway, I always thought Empire was the best of the three.

Even though I hate most JJ Abrams movies (completely fucked up the Star Trek re-boot), I do have high hopes for this. The fact is Lucas fucked up the prequels so badly even a JJ shaky cam, blowing shit up, fuck the plot (Plot...who needs that) approach cannot be any worse. The fact that Lucas stopped making movies for adults and started making Star Wars movies into 2+ hours of stupid product marketing commercials for kids was enough for me. I realized he jumped the shark when he abandoned the whole Chewbacca - Wookie home world plot line for ROTJ, and instead pulled the Ewoks out of his ass. I HATE Ewoks and the whole juvenile approach, just stupid.

If Lucas would have stuck to the original outlines for all nine movies (this was done in 1979 ish) he did with Gary Kurtz, the Star Wars Cycle would have been the greatest series of movies of all time.

Edited by IpMan

• 2 months later...