Led Zeppelin songs on the big and little screens?

So, I understand that Led Zeppelin song rights to put them in movies and TV can cost a GREAT DEAL of money and make it prohibitive. Words to this effect were given by TV creator/producer Eric Kripke while commenting on his show "Supernatural." If you are a fan of the show, you will have noticed several of the episode titles come from Zeppelin songs, as well as a lead character having his favorite band as Zeppelin and songs between "Traveling Riverside Blues" and "Ramble On."

Any idea WHY Zeppelin song usage is so expensive? I would think they would want to introduce new generations to their music? I'm deffinately NOT saying they should sell usage rights for product advertising (see fiasco of "The Doors" and "Light My Fire" with Pontiac), but usage in "approriate" venues like certain TV and Movies would boost album sales and widen the fan base.

Any idea how much it would be to afford a Zeppelin song?

Because it's Zeppelin.

Do you think Beatles or Pink Floyd songs are less expensive?

As for the price tag, it's usually more than a million dollars.

"One problem: Led Zeppelin has been notoriously picky about allowing its music to be used in films. The band members' reluctance has lessened a bit over the years, but their asking price remains high, often in the neighborhood of a seven-figure fee. That kind of payout isn’t possible for a modestly budgeted movie like Russell’s."

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/dec/03/entertainment/la-et-mn-led-zeppelin-movies-20121203

It has been said on this forum that Cadillac payed Zep 10 million to use "Rock and Roll" in their commercials. No idea what they "charge" for tv and movies. Cameron Crowe must get a discount though! ;)

It has been said on this forum that Cadillac payed Zep 10 million to use "Rock and Roll" in their commercials. No idea what they "charge" for tv and movies. Cameron Crowe must get a discount though! ;)

Walter,this maybe rumor but "Almost Famous" budget was crippled by paying music royalties.

Walter,this maybe rumor but "Almost Famous" budget was crippled by paying music royalties.

There were five Led Zeppelin songs in that movie. Those being..."That's The Way," "Misty Mountain Hop," "Tangerine," "Rain Song," and "Bron-Yr-Aur." Cameron Crowe wanted to use "Stairway To Heaven" as well, but felt the band was more than accommodating to allow them to use the previous songs, so he didn't bother. There is a scene that was cut included in the "Untitled" version (appropriately, that allows the viewer to play Stairway at the right time. It's for use of the entire song.

• 4 weeks later...

The intro to "The Rover" was on CBS news this morning. I wonder if CBS had to get permission to use this even in such a limited way. Unless a person's ear is really tuned to Zeppelin - there would be no recognition of the song at all.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived